News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

So, baby grandson has just learned to roll onto his side. I said to him, "You babies are so predictable." He smiled, as if to say, "So are you."

marc_chagall

I've written loads of poems about Paris in the rain, but had never actually been there until two days ago. Guess what. It poured down. Non-stop. Thus confirming something or other. Still a beautiful city, even when totally sodden, even in a howling gale. I felt quite at home, although I did feel a slight twinge of guilt that I may have caused the weather in some mysterious way.

LashSlash

Quote from: delph_ambi on April 25, 2012, 02:54:46 AM
I've written loads of poems about Paris in the rain, but had never actually been there until two days ago. Guess what. It poured down. Non-stop. Thus confirming something or other. Still a beautiful city, even when totally sodden, even in a howling gale. I felt quite at home, although I did feel a slight twinge of guilt that I may have caused the weather in some mysterious way.
.... how english!!!..... goes to paris -- gets totaly drunk -totally sodden - and all they can talk about is the weather..... ;) ;)

Geoff_N

I remember one May weekend taking insufficient shelter under the Arc de Triumph during a snow storm. Fair enough it is as rare to snow in Paris as it is in London but I thought like you, Delph, that I might have brought the snow from home. I bet you had a thrill in the Louvre?

Ed

Still haven't been to Paris -- keep meaning to do it, but haven't got around to it yet :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

marc_chagall

I didn't actually go inside the Louvre. Took a look at the queue, barely managing to stay upright in the gales and driving rain, and thought the better of it. Had a little walk around. Hardly anyone about because of the weather. Took plenty of 'atmospheric' pictures.

Came home last night. Ate a piece of bread this morning and broke a tooth on it. Just relieved I didn't do that in Paris. My nice dentist fixed it this afternoon, so back to normal.  :afro:

starktheground

One of my lifelong dreams is to visit the Louvre. One of these days maybe . . . but, if not, I'll take comfort in the fact that there's no way it can live up to my expectations anyway.  ;)

Geoff_N

Delph, you should have ordered a Louvre pass online. Its cheaper than paying at the door and there's NO QUEUE - brilliant. Same for the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam and many other honey spots.

marc_chagall

I know I should have ordered the tickets, but I didn't think of it until a few days before I left for France, and as far as I could see you couldn't print the tickets out; you had to have them posted. Frustrating, but that's life. Paris is actually very easy to get to. Only two and a bit hours on the train from London. The return fare cost me little over sixty quid, which is more than I can afford on a regular basis, but really isn't too bad. I will return!

notsoscarey

I've been gone too long again.  Pharo, I am so very, very glad your hubby is finally home and recovering!  Reading this thread had me in tears and I am glad it had a happy ending.  All of my best to you and your family.   :smitten:

Pharosian

Thanks, notsoscarey! In the past week, he's improved even more: he's gone from me having to assist him with just about everything to the point where he can shower and dress by himself; he can get his own water or juice, etc.; last night he helped with the cooking; and he's started to write e-mails. I still have to drive him everywhere, though.

Now it's the little things that are most aggravating to him; had to take him to the dentist for an abscess to be treated, which then resulted in having an exposed nerve; the scabs on his incision keep catching on his clothing; and he still has some irritation in his throat, which makes eating and breathing tricky from time to time.

But he's able to go to the store with me and take walks up to 15 minutes at a time. It's been a long month, but things keep improving.

starktheground

Russell

We are still lucky enough to have four pubs in our village (there were 11! in 1900).  One had a sign in the window:

"Beer shortages expected, please panic buy now."

It would have been wrong not to.

fnord33

Do any of you know a trick for recovering data from a hard drive that's gone bad? I have 1.5 tb of stuff in limbo.  :'(
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Pharosian

Was that your boot drive? If so, what I've done in that case is to hook the bad drive up as an external drive to a computer that still boots. Then you can see everything except the stuff in the bad sector. If it was already an external drive, then I have no idea, other than possibly using some data recovery tools.