gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 05:42:20 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 264 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589717 times)
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3885 on: May 06, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »

I had the strangest dream last night that I was in some unidentifiable place. It was hot and dry, and all the trees were brown; the houses were all built of mismatched materials. Anyway, I was with this mom and three little babies, and suddenly there was this massive flood and we had to grab the kids and run up the stairs into one of the strange houses. It was so scary, the way the house was swaying in the water and you could see it splashing at the windows. It was one of the scariest dreams I've ever had. Wonder what it meant.
....what is better?- waking from a terrible nightmare, or, waking from the best dreams ever and knowing that life  will never be that good
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3886 on: May 07, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »

Ha! I often say to people, "What's it like, knowing you're not as awesome as me?"  Wink

I appear to be suffering a form of writers' block that only affects the middle of stories. I can come up with blinding starts and ends, but can't figure out what to put in-between  rolleyes Cheesy bangh

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3887 on: May 07, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »

Ha! I often say to people, "What's it like, knowing you're not as awesome as me?"  Wink

I appear to be suffering a form of writers' block that only affects the middle of stories. I can come up with blinding starts and ends, but can't figure out what to put in-between  rolleyes Cheesy bangh

Fill the void with conflict -- give your characters more to worry about. Give them hell afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3888 on: May 07, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »

Check out what the great TV writer Stephen J Cannell had to say on this very subject:

If you have ever watched a movie or read a book where it starts out great and then, after about a third of the way through, becomes a "hummer" where nothing new is happening and you're starting to get bored, this is almost always because there is no second act. Next time, put the book or movie to my three act test, look for the complication and the second act curtain. See if I'm not right.

Read all about how to address this issue and lots more besides at: http://www.cannell.com/writing.html

What else is there to do on this rainy bank holiday?

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3889 on: May 07, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »

Thanks chaps! Food for thought  afro

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3890 on: May 07, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »

I had the strangest dream last night that I was in some unidentifiable place. It was hot and dry, and all the trees were brown; the houses were all built of mismatched materials. Anyway, I was with this mom and three little babies, and suddenly there was this massive flood and we had to grab the kids and run up the stairs into one of the strange houses. It was so scary, the way the house was swaying in the water and you could see it splashing at the windows. It was one of the scariest dreams I've ever had. Wonder what it meant.
....what is better?- waking from a terrible nightmare, or, waking from the best dreams ever and knowing that life  will never be that good

It's worse to wake from a terrible nightmare, I think. The good dream might come again.  afro
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3891 on: May 08, 2012, 03:49:40 AM »

I would've thought waking from a terrible nightmare is a good thing. The alternative is that you stay within that nightmare.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3892 on: May 08, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »

Greetings, all. Sorry I haven't been around much as of late, but I've been very busy. I have a lot going on and something had to give, so I'm forcing myself to play around a lot less and focus more on the tasks at hand. I'll drop by here and there, but until I get caught up you might not see me around as much. I'm trying to stay active on Facebook and the HWA, but the best way to get ahold of me if you need to is by email.

ken@kennethwcain.com

Glad to see everyone is doing well and making progress. I'm in deep with edits on the third book of my series. This one will be titled Reckoning and I hope to reveal the cover art as soon as I feel close to finishing edits. I've also just released the 3rd and 4th volumes of my These Old Tales project, as well as put out a complete collection of all 4 volumes in print and Kindle. I should have it up on other venues soon. I may start a new one of these soon as I've been writing more daily than ever before.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop by and say hello, so you all know I haven't forgotten anyone. Hope the best for everyone on their recent dealings and a harry gratz to those with recent sales and such. Take care.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3893 on: May 10, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »

What I did in my lunchhour today:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11632378

This is my version of Mark Hansen's arrangement of Elizabeth Cotton's Freight Train with some improvised lead guitar on top (I originally put some vocals on, but they were pretty grim, so I put on the guitar instead  undecided)

The writing is actually going very well, but sometimes you just gotta pluck a string!

Kind regards,

Derek
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:51:57 AM by delboy » Logged

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3894 on: May 10, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »

I went on strike today in support of public service workers concerned over cuts to their pensions. I am self-employed so I promised myself more pension and better working conditions, made a cup of tea and went back to writing.

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3895 on: May 10, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »

What I did in my lunchhour today:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11632378

This is my version of Mark Hansen's arrangement of Elizabeth Cotton's Freight Train with some improvised lead guitar on top (I originally put some vocals on, but they were pretty grim, so I put on the guitar instead  undecided)

The writing is actually going very well, but sometimes you just gotta pluck a string!

Kind regards,

Derek

Was that you on the harmonica as well? afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3896 on: May 10, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »

Yep, it was all me  cool  I had a spare track left over on the four track and I thought "What can I put on there?" I had a C harp in my drawer from a long time ago and the song was in C so I dropped it in. I'm no harp player - I just sucked and blew and what came out came out!

Robert B. Parker
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3897 on: May 10, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »

Very nice, Del!  dance
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3898 on: May 10, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »

lol - I love the 'Tone Deaf Del' handle.

You should do a C&W song about him.

Nicely done, Del.

DW Cheesy

marc_chagall
« Reply #3899 on: May 11, 2012, 02:30:15 AM »

Impressive musicianship. Enjoyed.  afro
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 264 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx