gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 03:21:40 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 271 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589262 times)
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3990 on: June 18, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »

Oh no Russell! Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she gets better quickly, along with your mom. And if bad things come in threes, then I think you can count the parking fees as your third. You've had more than your fair share, sounds like.
marc_chagall
« Reply #3991 on: June 18, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »

Crikey, Russell! All best wishes for a swift recovery for your mum and wife.
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3992 on: June 18, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

My thoughts are with you, Russell.

DW Cheesy

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3993 on: June 18, 2012, 06:55:40 PM »

Wow, sounds like your week's even crappier than mine, Russel. Funny (scary) how one day we're all ambling along without much to worry about and then the next thing you know everything's turned upside down without warning. Glad to hear your wife managed to escape any lasting damage.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Russell
Grave Digger

« Reply #3994 on: June 19, 2012, 03:08:34 AM »

Thanks for all your comments they are much appreciated, and considering the worst-case-scenarios things are currently turning out well. The hospital is certain that my wife will have a better quality of life in the future because, although there will be some heart muscle damage, that will be more than counteracted by stopping smoking, getting more exercise, and eating the right foods. Having said that both my mum and my wife were careful about what they ate, while I've got this far with a passion for bacon, sausages and burgers - a passion that has changed now by the way.

Funny (scary) how one day we're all ambling along without much to worry about and then the next thing you know everything's turned upside down without warning.

...I couldn't agree more Ed, I've had to reset priorities several times in the last few years a the unexpected challenge presents itself.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3995 on: June 19, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

Bearing in mind all this talk of doom and accidents, fingers crossed, but not legs, for my 350 miles cycle ride starting tomorrow over hilll and dale - through Ironbridge and the Malverns - and back again by next Tuesday.

marc_chagall
« Reply #3996 on: June 20, 2012, 05:12:04 AM »

Have a great trip, Geoff! Hope the weather stays reasonable for you. Last time I was at the Malverns they were covered with snow and I was heavily pregnant. Walked up to the top. My then husband kept slipping over. I didn't, possibly due to the low centre of gravity  grin
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3997 on: June 21, 2012, 02:38:01 AM »

Longest day today... nights start drawing-in tomorrow afro

Russel -- if your wife is going to stop smoking, get her a book called, "The Easy Way," by Allen Carr (not the gay one). It's a boring book, but surprisingly effective in changing the deep rooted thoughts a smoker has about smoking. I thought I would be one of those people with an oxygen bottle in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I tried everything -- acupuncture, hypnosis, patches, but I couldn't stop. Reading the book changed the way I thought about it, and I went from smoking 40 a day to nil, over night, and have never touched another one since. I think without that change of mind you're left thinking you're missing out on something great, and that's why a lot of people start again.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3998 on: June 21, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »

I remember you telling me about that book, Ed. I've been smoke free for a bit now, but I always seem to be craving a cigarette and am worried some big life stress will get me started again. Maybe I should read it, even if I've already quit (again).  rolleyes
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3999 on: June 21, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »

Yep, it's worth a read, Angela. I would recommend anybody, even non smokers to read it, because it explains the psychology of smoking and makes you understand why people do it, and also why people find it so difficult to stop.

It's amazing that I went from thinking I could never stop to knowing that I would never have or have need of another cigarette. I still occasionally get a craving every few months, even after five years, but I recognise it for what it is and know that sparking-up wouldn't yield the feeling of relief that my subconscious mind reckons it would. Most of all I'm glad to be rid of it. What a crappy habit it is.

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #4000 on: June 21, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »

Wow. I've been away from here for a few days and come back to find all sorts of bad things have happened.  Shocked

Russell, I hope your wife and mother get the care they need. Glad the prognosis is good. My husband spent three weeks in the hospital this spring, but the two hospitals he stayed in were only 10-15 minutes drive away and the parking was free. I can imagine how much more aggravating the whole situation would have been with the added insult of having to pay steep parking fees!

Ed, so sorry to hear about your son's leg. I hope it heals well and that he makes a full recovery. And it's awful that a 93-yr-old woman would be neglected like that for a whole day!

After 12 weeks, my husband has just gone back to work this week--mostly to protect his position. His boss was under pressure to post the job, but didn't want to lose my husband. The boss is very understanding and will give my husband a light schedule initially to ease him back into the grind. We're off to Colorado for the week's vacation we planned before the surgery. Looking forward to it--and hoping those wild fires that are out of control in other parts of the state don't get close.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4001 on: June 22, 2012, 02:36:22 AM »

I was just wondering about you and your hubby, Pharo -- thanks for the update, and the well wishes.

It's been a manic few days, and it's going to be a long slog before everything's back to normal. Not quite sure how it's going to pan out, yet. My wife is worried she may lose her job because of taking so much time off to look after our son. She gets the school holidays off to look after the kids, so if she is unable to leave the boy on his own any time soon, she's looking at a total of twelve weeks away. I'm hoping after a week or two we can work out some kind of system that will help with mobility around the house, and that in turn will enable grandparents to help out with care. At the moment he struggles to get from bed to wheelchair and wheelchair to sofa, and he needs to be lifted, especially when he's tired, which is too much to ask of the old folks. Things have a way of working out for the better, though. I'm sure it'll all come right in the end afro

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #4002 on: June 22, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »

Pharo, I was just wondering about you too! Glad you're husband's doing good and enjoy your vacation!

Ed, that's tough with the kiddo. I hope everything works out there.
darkfiction74
Critter

« Reply #4003 on: June 23, 2012, 01:23:48 AM »

Today, I took a break from writing and work to go and watch Prometheus. This movie left me with a lot to think about, and I seriously need to see it again before I can come up with a definitive decision on whether I liked it or not. I'm pretty sure that I do like it, and a lot, so far though.  scratch

Visit me on the web at: http://www.jasonwhitefiction.com
darkfiction74
Critter

« Reply #4004 on: June 23, 2012, 01:26:21 AM »

Russell, although we've just met, I seriously hope that your wife and mother get better and very soon!

Visit me on the web at: http://www.jasonwhitefiction.com
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 271 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx