gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 02:35:02 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 268 269 [270] 271 272 273 274 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 587993 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4035 on: July 19, 2012, 08:02:05 AM »

I didn't know I had a different facebook author page than the one I use for everyday pics and links, etc. This one
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Geoff-Nelder/103102006396022?sk=info

needs likes folks! It seems to have been generated from Wikipedia.

marc_chagall
« Reply #4036 on: July 19, 2012, 10:21:07 AM »

Done. Always happy to like you, Geoff.  Wink
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4037 on: July 19, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »

Just invested in a new (old) guitar. A Martin. Something I've aspired to for thirty years. Beautiful guitar, lovely mellow tone. But, as we say in the trade, it's all nic'ed up - meaning it stinks of cigarette smoke. The guy I bought it from lived in a small basement flat and was pretty much a chain smoker. The first few days just strumming this thing brought on a tightness of chest and bad memories of asthma attacks. It's starting to fade a little and this weekend I will be changing the strings and giving it a good clean...but right now one sniff of this guitar will put anyone off the weed!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Grillmeat
Critter

« Reply #4038 on: July 21, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »

Here is a visual of one reason I have not been doing much writing lately.  This is Wen Anduin V. Sontausen, our 15month old German Shepherd. Her working career started last week in earnest and today she earned the first ( of what we hope will be) many titles-her CD-Novice Obedience.

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #4039 on: July 21, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »

Ed, that's awful. I would hate if one of my kids started smoking when they're teenagers, but as an ex-smoker myself, I don't have much room to talk. I'm not sure what would dissuade it.  undecided Hopefully he'll just get bored of it . . .
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4040 on: July 22, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »

I don't think you can stop something like this by laying the law down -- it'll just become a guilty pleasure at best. I'm hoping that educating him with the book will open his eyes to the mechanism of addiction, and once the trap he's unwittingly set for himself is lad bare he will choose to not smoke any more. I know from my own experience that it feels like you are depriving yourself of a pleasure when you're trying to give up, which makes it all the harder to stop. The book changed the way I thought about smoking, so I no longer saw it as anything other than an addiction. Knowing what the book taught me made it relatively easy to stop.

Anyway, on a lighter note, it's been a beautiful day here -- the first since March, FFS. We sat around in the sun most of the day, like lizards. Had a bit of a snooze, then lit the barbecue for tea. Really enjoyed today.

Taking number one son to work with me all week, and I'm going to get all my work colleagues to have a word with him and tell him what a huge mistake he is making by starting smoking. I don't think I know a single person who doesn't regret ever starting in the first place. Hopefully the combination of keeping him away from his friends and working him to keep him busy, and all the educational bits and pieces of information will make it easy for him to make the right decision.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4041 on: July 22, 2012, 06:17:51 PM »

Here is a visual of one reason I have not been doing much writing lately.  This is Wen Anduin V. Sontausen, our 15month old German Shepherd. Her working career started last week in earnest and today she earned the first ( of what we hope will be) many titles-her CD-Novice Obedience.

Looks bright as a button, Grill -- good luck this season afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Grillmeat
Critter

« Reply #4042 on: July 22, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »

Thanks Ed!  I guess I should point out to those folks across the pond that she is sitting next to a fine piece of English crystal that she won at the Specialty this weekend.  tongue

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4043 on: July 23, 2012, 06:02:17 AM »

Lovely looking dog, Grill! Though hell of a name when calling her back from across the park.... "Here Wen Anduin V. Sontausen, Here boy!"

Like the man said, was a lovely weekend and so nice to see the sun. Spent Saturday supping various ciders and enjoying swing and acoustic music down at a festival in the docks. Most enjoyable. But alas, I find it much harder to focus on work when the sun's out and the kids are off school and outside larking about (although that said the boy has been off five weeks already - school, these days, eh?).

Hey ho. Back to spreadsheets....

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4044 on: July 24, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »

Caught in a traffic jam on the M56 between Liverpool and Chester tonight. A journey that is normally 40 minutes took over 3 hours. A tanker carrying toxic chemicals had crossed the central barriers, landed on its side and leaked. Driver is in hospital. So our protracted crawl was small fry compared to the poor driver. He'd probably fallen asleep, hopefully not on drugs or drink although a worrying high proportion of bad accidents happen that way.

One side effect is that while trapped in our car, my wife and I hadn't had such a long conversation for years... bleh Not saying whether that was a good or bad thing Wink

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4045 on: July 25, 2012, 02:30:22 AM »

There was what was described as a "perfect storm" of events at a local out-of-town supermarket last week that resulted in hundreds of people in a traffic jam for five hours in the blazing heat. The council had decided to do some grass cutting on a roundabout so set out some cones to block off a lane of traffic, the schools had just broken up so a normally quiet Friday lunchtime at Sainsburys was just a bit busier than usual. I'm sure there was another factor, too. But many folks who just popped into the shop briefly at lunchtime finally got home early evening.

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4046 on: July 25, 2012, 02:45:30 AM »

I know we shouldn't complain, but after such a long rainy and cold summer this heat wave is killing me. Typically, I'm outside working, all day, every day, with no shelter. While I would rather be doing it in the sun than the rain, I would be happier in moderate warmth, say 20C.

Still, the weather is set to break at the weekend, which is about right -- when you've got a couple of days off to enjoy hot weather you're not going to get any. Probably pee down all weekend and then it'll be hot and humid all the following week rolleyes British weather, huh?

Good news about the boy -- he's hopefully coming out of plaster on Thursday, which will then leave us able to book a holiday. Trouble is, I booked the last one around work commitments, so it's going to be difficult to squeeze one in between them and the end of the kids' summer holiday. The weeks have flown by again, haven't they? scratch

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #4047 on: July 26, 2012, 03:50:20 AM »

Aaaand I'm back! Please, hold your applause  Wink I've had the busiest and most mental few months of my life and I'm FINALLY looking forward to things getting back to normal! I haven't done any writing in months, because all my time on a computer's been spent doing risk assessments and other boring paperwork, and you know how it is when you stare at a screen all day  Cheesy the festival my friend and I put on did well, but we now have to do all the evaluation reports and correlate feedback etc etc etc which we're trying to do this week around a bunch of workshops we're running in and around Scunthorpe - one of which is the Fold Story Laboratory, where my friend and I dress up as scientists and get kids to make books - I go through story "ingredients" with them to help them choose a goodie, baddie, place and 'treasure' and then help them write their stories ^_^ the other day, a little girl wrote a story about a wizard powered by junk food battling a giant banana monster!

Anyway. That's that. Hello again!  afro

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4048 on: July 26, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »

Good to see you back, Rev!

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4049 on: July 27, 2012, 02:10:26 AM »

Welcome back, Rev. Sounds like you've been having fun afro

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 268 269 [270] 271 272 273 274 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx