gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 08:22:05 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 275 276 [277] 278 279 280 281 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590066 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4140 on: October 03, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »

the wonderful faerie queen herself, Suzanne McLeod, hosts me in her blog today. A must read! http://suzannemcleod.blogspot.co.uk/

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #4141 on: October 04, 2012, 06:25:10 AM »

Yesterday was National Boyfriend Day (what?!) but today is National Poetry Day. Much better. I'm not big on poems, but I appreciate them a lot more than boyfriends.

Fnar and indeed fnar.

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #4142 on: October 04, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »

Funnily enough, your Grace, I wrote a poem today.

Limerick to Mum's Wisdom

My mum said, "It's not very nice
that your schoolmates have given you lice.
But at least folk won't stare
as they would if your hair
were teeming with hamsters or mice."

DW Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:21:24 PM by desertwomble » Logged

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4143 on: October 04, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »

I like a good limerick! I like that one  cheers

Did my first ever 'proper' solo acoustic gig last night. Played in bands for 35 years, and played numerous duo acoustic gigs, and have done plenty of solo bits and pieces at parties, ad-hoc moments in pubs, open-mic nights and so on, even played some background music at a wedding reception last summer. But last night was the first time I'd been booked in advance to play and sing solo...

It went really well! My songs mostly involved shoot-outs, executions, car-chases, morticians, freight-trains, long dark passenger trains, and dancing girls. So it was pretty much my fiction put to music!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4144 on: October 05, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »

My songs mostly involved shoot-outs, executions, car-chases, morticians, freight-trains, long dark passenger trains, and dancing girls.

I feel drawn to those too  Wink

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #4145 on: October 05, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »

Nice! Both to DW's limerick and Del's news about the gig  afro my band's going again, but we can't get any gigs. It's a weird one, because a lot of people like us but it appears promoters are scared of us/don't know what to do with us haha I am also going into the recording studio on Sunday to do live versions of some mantric dirge rock I wrote all by myself recently. That's just how I roll, yo.

notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #4146 on: October 05, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »

Fighting off a stomach virus, being taken by surprise by a violent nosebleed, and trying to finish up bits for a craft fair on Sunday.  If I don't die before then, everyone have a great weekend!!
marc_chagall
« Reply #4147 on: October 08, 2012, 04:36:03 AM »

Hope you survived!

This morning I finally got fed up with the dripping taps in the kitchen which are so worn the handles (plastic) look like flaking chunks of rock, and the washers have long since given up being functional so to turn the taps on or off takes the sort of strength I don't have. So I cracked. I got a tap replacement kit from Wilko's, read the instructions, followed them... and it worked. I can't believe it bloody worked. Shiny new taps with working washers! Now, you blokish people here who deal with plumbing every day won't think this so very wonderful, but bear with me. This is an old house. If you didn't know where the stop cock was, you'd never find it. I know where it is. You have to take up the carpet at the foot of the stairs, take up the parquet flooring, remove a floorboard, and reach down into the no-man's land under the house. The stop cock itself turns easily enough once you've got to it, but it's not very efficient. Still lets a bit too much water through. Luckily I have an outside tap which is lower than the kitchen taps, so I was able to run a hosepipe from that to an outside drain so that when I took off the old taps I wouldn't have fountains in the kitchen.

Yes, I need a new stop cock. One that's accessible, ideally in a kitchen cupboard or wherever they put them nowadays. One day I'll get that sorted. Won't attempt to do it myself.

Needless to say, the last owner of this house was a plumber.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4148 on: October 08, 2012, 04:55:54 AM »

Top plumbing work there, Delph! Well done. And you've found a great place to bury a body (or at least a small bag of, say, diamonds) should the need ever arise.

I recall doing some plumbing in my old house. I was fitting a new kitchen and I'd removed everything. Literally the room was an empty shell. No cupboards, no furniture, no nothing. It was like when a magician holds up an empty box... Coming out of the floor were two copper pipes that would ultimately lead to the new sink. The pipes were uncapped as I'd had to cut them and I thus needed to cap them in order to turn the water back on to the rest of the house. I was all prepared. I had two compression fittings from B&Q which I duly put on the copper pipes. I then turned the water on and all was well for about five seconds until one of the compression fitting shot off the pipe and...disappeared. The room was empty, the doors were closed, there was nowhere for a compression fitting to go. But it went. I never found it and I never found any place it could have gone. The only explanation is that a passing space-ship beamed it up. We've all had that happen I'm sure.

I had to go all the way back to B&Q and buy another. Bloody aliens.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4149 on: October 08, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »

Top work there, Delph afro  Plumbing is almost never as easy as you think it's going to be. I've lost count of the number of five minute jobs that have turned into all day and half the night jobs over the years. Things invariably go all to hell the minute the local plumbers merchant closes for the weekend, too, in my experience rolleyes

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #4150 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:13 AM »

i am a liscenced electrician and an experianced plumber with over 30 years of working experiance. DO NOT -- i repeat -- DO NOT ever ever ever start a plumbing job on a friday, unless its a total emergency.

... keep shifting spanners, delf!

marc_chagall
« Reply #4151 on: October 09, 2012, 06:37:53 AM »

This is precisely why I decided to attempt the job on a Monday  afro

Spending today sitting at home waiting for the UPS courier to turn up with boxes of my latest novel. I've been tracking them. Left a town just twelve miles away nearly four hours ago. Are they walking? Pushing a trolley or something? Have they got lost? The frustration! I want my books!
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #4152 on: October 09, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

Help me, fellow cyclists! Can anyone recommend a decent online bike part site? Is there such a thing? My pedal fell off and I'm trying to make sure I get the right replacement bolt for it (is the bit the pedal's on called the 'crank shaft'? That's what's fallen off). I got a 55p bolt from a local bike store but it...didn't end well. 

In other news, watched a proper scary film recently called Grave Encounters. It's a "found footage" type one about a film crew who spend the night in an asylum. Starts off mundane but goes completely mental. I recommend it!

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4153 on: October 09, 2012, 05:22:23 PM »

I like Edinburgh Cycles - always had sterling service from them, Rev. But there's also Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles. All good.

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4154 on: October 13, 2012, 03:49:36 AM »

Wiggle are good, as Del says. Evans too and there's an increasing number of their shops appearing in bricks and mortar in cities too.
One Monday I was cycling the 50 miles from Manchester to Chester 20 years ago when a pedal fell off. It had compeletely sheared off through the threaded bolt bit. I then recalled having clobbered the pedal on a curb when I careered too close to a curb. A corner bike shop was close by (Davyhulme cycles - still going) and when I took my bike in they said - ah no problem: we'll either drill out the shorn-off bit still inside the crank or you might be better off with a new crank and pedal - and since they come in pairs - two lots. I agreed for new. Then he said, bring it back on Wednesday. Aarrggh! So I explained I was cycling home to Chester that day. They fixed it in under 10 mins. I usually find that cycle repair shops will rise to such occasions very well, and many times I've cycled through a town and asked for a squirt of lubricant or a loan of a stand pump, been prepared to pay but had payment refused. There's a lot of esprit de corps in the cycling world (Lance Armstrong excepted).

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 275 276 [277] 278 279 280 281 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx