News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Austin

Thanks Delph/Geoff. And cheers Geoff for the heads up about Alex Davis. I have a sneaking suspicion I actually know who he is already hahah
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

marc_chagall

Free (audio) story from Neil Gaiman available from now until the end of the month, with every download benefiting a charity. Go for it! http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/10/something-really-cool-is-about-to-happen.html

I just downloaded it and it took slightly longer than expected due to having to also download 'audible' software, but it all worked well enough.

delboy

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. This one is starting to get very flakey indeed - when typing it tends to only pick up about 75% of my keystrokes which is highly annoying when I'm 'in the flow'. The battery is fubar-ed meaning I can't move it around or unplug it. The internal battery that keeps things like the time and date set is dead. Videos keep crashing. Cookies won't work. It's very slow and programmes keep locking up. The hard-drive is full and I have to store stuff on separate drives now. All in all it's just about done for. But it's exceeded expectations and has lasted more than six years (so far). I've always bought cheap PCs on the basis that they'll be out of date pretty much as soon as I've got them home and this was no exception. But, these days, for less than £400  I can get something with a much faster third generation (whatever that is) processor, more than 10 x the RAM and 10x the hard drive too. I suspect I'd save masses of time in the long run and enjoy my laptop interactions way more than I am at the moment (where frustration is the main emotion). I'm also thinking it'll be good to upgrade before this one gives up the ghost altogether as I can then transfer all my files in a leisurely and controlled manner.

Trouble is I've just spent all my money on guitars, and Christmas is coming which is never cheap...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Buy the laptop.

Record a load of tracks on your guitars and burn them onto CDs to give everyone for Christmas presents.

Sorted  :afro:

Ed

Mine is probably five or six years old. Had to buy a new hard drive for it last year. Like you, Del, I went for whatever was the cheapest, but the new hard drive still ended up being four times the capacity of the old one, which is fine, as I was happy enough before the upgrade. We recently bought our eldest a laptop. It cost £200 less than mine and had double the CPU power, ten times the hard drive space and four times the RAM. It's more powerful than my desktop.

The only problem is that all the new programmes you get tend to be built with ever increasing demands on spec, so if you don't buy a new comp every few years you find nothing works on it after a while, or it runs so slow it's infuriating to use.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

I bought a small Sony Vaio in 2005 27 x 19 cm - lightweight for slipping into my rucksack or bike pannier for when I'm away from home. Yes, costly at around £1300 at the time but with wifi, bluetooth, DVD, many sockets for memory sticks, camera memory etc it's never let me down. It's been in every European country and up mountains on my bike - takes a fair rattling though I always remove the battery and bubble wrap it when on the move. I wouldn't hesitate replacing it with a similar one if it gave up its ghost.
I reckon it's been cost effective considering the punishment it gets.

For home use, wife and I have separate tower PCs. They are Arbico Silent computers. I mean silent too - used in our lounge so we don't want to hear those fans or drives whining. There used to be more computers in the house. I had them all wired up with Cat 5 network cables - up three floors. Now, wifi does all that including sharing devices such as printers. 

delboy

I'm still undecided - was hovering over the Click To Buy button but the pragmatist in me kicked in. I really should wait until January to see how the finances lie. There'll no doubt be just as many good deals on laptops then as there is now.

I'm sure I'll change my mind next time I sit down and try and use it in anger.

Hey ho. Monday morning. Back to the grind.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

My kids are helping me to create a wider readership. To this end, my son and daughter-in-law gave birth this afternoon to Charlotte Marie Nelder. 9 pounds and 9 ozs and eager to get stuck into her first book :)

delboy

Congratulations Geoff!

Great news and a cunning plan, too  :cool:

Derek

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Congrats!  :cheers:

I must have a word with my own kids. About time they increased my readership.

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

jsorensen

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

delboy

Hurricane Sandy appears to not have been over-exaggerated. Hope any Doomers in that area are all ok  :huh:

Robert B. Parker

Pharosian

Quote from: delboy on October 30, 2012, 03:19:44 AM
Hurricane Sandy appears to not have been over-exaggerated. Hope any Doomers in that area are all ok  :huh:

Yes... woke up to find snow on the ground here, hundreds of miles from the east coast. Last night the winds were wicked. Don't expect any power outages here, but we've got plenty of food in, just in case.

Ed

I hope it doesn't get too bad for you, Pharo. Keep your chin up :afro: