News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Just had my first ever Irish PLR statement... £5.76. Wow, a huge increase on the $2 I got paid for my first ever sale back in 1985.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Quote from: delboy on November 15, 2012, 12:07:55 PM
Just had my first ever Irish PLR statement... £5.76. Wow, a huge increase on the $2 I got paid for my first ever sale back in 1985.

It's good to know that hard work and perseverance pays dividends, isn't it?  :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

I've had a UK PLR statement of a similar amount, Del. It came with a breakdown of fiction / non-fiction etc. I make sure Cheshire libraries have copies of my books but Cheshire hasn't been in the counties selected by the PLR for years. I often ask pals to persuade their libraries to buy my books but I only know for sure of a handful who have done that. By the way if you do that for me (most counties in the UK and elsewhere in the world are still buying books in spite of the cuts) then I'll do the same for your books.

I also got a similar sum from the ALCS - also free to register. They give you royalties for photocopying of your books. I don't fully understand it.  I can't imagine there are enough folk photocopying my stories or significant chunks of my novels. I have a few non-fiction books around - to do with climate though they are dated. I'm wondering if the other Geoff Nelder is wondering why he ISN'T receiving HIS royalties  :cheesy:

marc_chagall

I've a feeling my books are always in the 'wrong' libraries as I've yet to receive a penny. Frustrating, but nothing I can do about it, short of becoming incredibly famous.

Ed

Can't get used to these numbers. I received a cheque yesterday for the sum of £120,000.00 as a deposit for a system we are installing next week. I think I might just cash it and do a runner :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

desertwomble

http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

marc_chagall

I remember when I was very little and first saw a five pound note. Unimaginable riches.

*sigh*

Geoff_N

Love the apparent contradiction of the nearest planet to the sun having water ice.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/29/water-on-mercury-nasa-announces-ice-poles_n_2212433.html
I've often imagined humans living just on the line between sunlight and perpetual dark on that planet. Not feasible, of course, but it would make a fun short story.

Pharosian

I'm back after what seems like a long absence. The week before Thanksgiving, I had to travel to California on business. Travel day Monday, meet with client all day Tuesday and Wednesday, then take the redeye back late Wednesday night, arriving home around 11 AM on Thursday. Then it was mad cleaning and preparation for an invasion of family starting that Sunday night.

We'd had some painting and tile work done in the guest bathroom, so we had to put back the vanity and medicine cabinet, put up new towel rail and TP holder, as well as do all the regular housework. My brother and sister-in-law stayed with us from Sunday through Saturday morning. They have two small children, ages 2 and 4. My niece and nephew are adorable, but I think they gave me the plague.

Another six relatives arrived from Michigan on Tuesday night (they all stayed in a nearby hotel). By Thursday morning (Thanksgiving), I had a severe sore throat, which developed into a nasty cold on Friday/Saturday. Everyone departed Saturday AM, leaving me the weekend free--and sick as a dog. I stayed home from work all week. Each day I thought surely tomorrow will be better. Finally went to the doctor on Friday. I'd resisted because I know that colds are generally viral in nature and resolve on their own. But I'd lost my voice and the coughing just would not STOP, so I finally gave in. Doctor agreed with my assessment, but said the length of time I'd had the cough indicated a secondary bacterial infection, so I've been taking antibiotics. She also gave me some prescription-strength cough medicine which helped me sleep. As of today, I can breathe and talk again!

The good thing about being off work was that I actually got some writing done... the most I've managed in many months.

Looks as though it's been pretty quiet around here. Everyone OK?

Geoff_N

I also catch the plague every month or so after visiting relatives with little ones. When I started teaching a hundred years ago I caught all the bugs going but by the following year I was immune and didn't catch a cold or flu for decades. Now after 10 years since leaving teaching I am vulnerable again. Keep taking the vit C and every other month or so take Echinacea for a week. Either that or do what the Japanese do and wear a face mask.

Ed

I'm with Daddy Warbucks on the subject of children -- they are harbingers of disease. Like Pandora boxes of bacteria the cars draw up and spew forth the little darlings with their vomiting bugs and sneezes and sore throats. Urgh. I've never been so ill in all my life as I was when the kids were young.

Sorry to hear you've been through it, Pharo. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

It has been pretty quiet around here, partly due to the annual comp not happening yet. I did intend to put something on, but it hasn't materialised. I'm still flat out with work. When I'm not on the tools I'm doing paperwork. I'm actually spending a little more time watching telly when I get a spare few minutes, probably because I don't want to sit at my desk any more than I have to. I fully intended to do a flash for the weekly challenge, but didn't finish it. Managed one laast time, which was the first thing I've written in months that didn't relate in some way to boilers or heating systems.

marc_chagall

I had no warning that this was going to happen!

It was just before my book launch last Monday. A charming young man called Alex, representing Gruntlers Theatre who were hosting the launch, approached me at the Poetry Place with what I assumed was a phone but turned out to be a miniaturised recording studio, and asked me some open-ended questions while I waffled on as if I were an old hand at this sort of thing.

Blimey. Glad nobody had warned me or I'd have been a tad nervous. As it was, I didn't even have time to brush my hair.

Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxEVfaQ_544&feature=colike

Geoff_N

You came over pretty well to me!
With my wonky hearing I wasn't sure what the narrator was saying in the first few seconds. He seemed to be referring to you as Greschen. Is this a new penname for you?  ;)

marc_chagall

Thanks Geoff! The interviewer was Estonian with heavily accented English, so I'm not exactly sure what he said myself - but I cringe too much when I watch the video to run it again, so your guess is as good as mine.  :huh:

desertwomble

Nicely done, Cathy. You were very natural.

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf