News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Typically, I bit into something hot and sweet on Thursday evening and felt a twinge in my wisdom tooth. These things generally get worse rather than better, and with me supposed to be going on my hols soon I thought I had better get it sorted. Monday morning, dentist pushed the needle into the hinge of my jaw, which sent a pain shooting up as far as my eye. He squeezed in some Novocain, which burned intensely, right up as far as my eye -- I slapped the arm of the chair and grunted, to no avail. He said, I know it's uncomfortable, but it'll be over in a second. He squeezed some more in and, with the speed my jaw went numb and the intense pain I was feeling, I knew there was something wrong.

I was numb from the middle of my lip to the hinge of my jaw and up to my eye for the rest of the day and night. The following morning my tongue was still numb, so I called the dentist to ask when I could expect to be back to normal. He said, "Hopefully in two or three days." I don't like it when that kind of sentence contains the word 'hopefully', especially when combined with 'might have nicked the nerve bundle'. Still numb now. Numb but strangely painful, like when you bite your tongue really hard by accident. On reading about it on the internet I see this might last six months, which would really piss me off, or it might never come back, which would piss me off even more. Hopefully the dentist's initial estimate is closer to the mark.

Hi Rev -- nice to see you dropping in :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

fnord33

That sucks. :( Dentists are evil. You should sue his nipples off.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

delboy

Not good  :( Bloody horrible in fact  :/ Just before Christmas, too...

And, Ed, your story about the dentist is awful too!
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

A similar thing happened to my mother-in-law. Years later she couldn't taste anything on that side.
Sorry... that didn't help.
Enjoy your hols.

notsoscarey

Oh Ed, that is awful!  I dread the dentist and my sister is a dental hygienist.  She cleans my teeth and does x-rays so she is super careful and calms me down.  It helps, but still...those instruments they use!  *faints*  I just got my teeth cleaned yesterday in time for the apocalypse. 

I hope everyone has a splendid holiday season--I'll be writing and exercising off all the treats.   :smiley:

marc_chagall

Scary dental tale, Ed. My son gets free dental treatment by allowing trainee dentists to experiment on him. I think he's mad, but I'm glad someone has the nerve to do it.

Rev. Austin

I paid my first visit to the dentist as an adult back in April, and had to get a tooth removed (by an exceptionally rough dentist). It was one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever had, and I was in 'numb pain' for ages after, so you get my sympathy Ed.

Got a gig in Grimsby tonight! It's nice that we have actual fans there that want to see and hear us hahaha
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

Thanks for the sympathies, all. It's still the same, so it looks like I'm stuck with it for a while at least. They say you can get used to anything in a month -- hopefully that's true :afro:

Still, that's it for this year -- I'm off on my hols. Can't wait to leave this rain behind and experience a bit of sun and warmth for a change. It seems to have done nothing but rain since March :scratch:

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

That really sucks, Ed. Whisky may help... Fingers crossed it gets better ASAP
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

Delph and I feature in the January 2013 The Horror Zine at
http://www.thehorrorzine.com/Fiction/Jan2013/GeoffNelder/Nelder.html

I am January's pick of the month. Must be the nearest I've been to being a centrefold :)

Geoff_N

delboy

Robert B. Parker

starktheground

It must be Ed's birthday! Happy Birthday Ed!!!!! Hope it is full of cake and good times.

desertwomble

http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

desertwomble

Quote from: Geoff_N on December 26, 2012, 12:11:55 PM
Delph and I feature in the January 2013 The Horror Zine at
http://www.thehorrorzine.com/Fiction/Jan2013/GeoffNelder/Nelder.html

I am January's pick of the month. Must be the nearest I've been to being a centrefold :)

Nice one, Geoff! Do they have an appropriate picture to go with you being this month's centrefold?

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf