gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 12:58:53 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 282 283 [284] 285 286 287 288 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588798 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4245 on: January 02, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »

Delph and I feature in the January 2013 The Horror Zine at
http://www.thehorrorzine.com/Fiction/Jan2013/GeoffNelder/Nelder.html

I am January's pick of the month. Must be the nearest I've been to being a centrefold smiley

Nice one, Geoff! Do they have an appropriate picture to go with you being this month's centrefold?

DW Cheesy
It would have to be airbrushed with a broom smiley
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:53:39 AM by Geoff_N » Logged

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #4246 on: January 02, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »

Belated birthday wishes, Ed!  cheers have some stinky armpits!

(Re)starting my writing discipline tonight! 7 - 10pm most nights will be writing time. I used to do this all the time until the last few months futzed things up. I feel PUMPED. Lots of ideas I'm determined to vomit out my brain. I'm also initiating a 'no internet' rule in that time, unless I'm doing a quick bit of research (or blabbing on here haha). Currently researching the effects of solar flares! WOOP!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4247 on: January 03, 2013, 05:56:57 AM »

Speaking of solar flares - investigate the Carrington Event. I use it in one of rare shorts using zombies and was in a Zombie blog hop last month. See http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/zombie-blog-hop/

Good luck with the new discipline. If only I had such will power.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4248 on: January 03, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »

I've decided not to make any new year resolutions this year - other than possibly to give a little less of damn so often. I never stick to them anyway. But I would like to cycle further, sing better, write more, eat healthier, pick faster, more accurately and with enhanced syncopation, read deeper, see my friends and family oftener, play more gigs (did the first one of the year last night), buy less, reduce debts, travel widely (even if it's within the confines of these few counties), increase my happiness index, try meditation, be positive, take more photographs, be kinder to dogs, little children, and folks who like the X-factor, and understand quantum mechanics.

But most of all, I think I need to sleep more this year.  azn

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4249 on: January 05, 2013, 02:15:06 PM »

Thanks for the birthday wishes, folks. I'm still on my hols in Egypt - last day tomorrow Sad still, it has been a great time, and the joy of being able to lie out in the sun with 26c temperatures every day has been much appreciated. Dreading going back to cold wet England, but needs must, I suppose. Hope you all had a good festive season afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4250 on: January 08, 2013, 03:00:37 AM »

Can't quite compute the misfortune that has befallen me -- this time yesterday I was basking in warm sunshine beneath a cloudless sky, not a care in the world, and this morning I awake in a cold, wet, bleak and miserable country. Around about now I should be turning over for an hour on my front, swiftly followed by a couple of small beers and some more reading before lunch with Red Sea waves lapping at my feet. I think it may take me a while to get up to speed here....

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #4251 on: January 08, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »

Around about now I should be turning over for an hour on my front, swiftly followed by a couple of small beers and some more reading before lunch with Red Sea waves lapping at my feet.

That sounds lovely. Bummer to have to come back to the daily grind, I know. What book(s) did you get into?

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4252 on: January 08, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »

Around about now I should be turning over for an hour on my front, swiftly followed by a couple of small beers and some more reading before lunch with Red Sea waves lapping at my feet.

That sounds lovely. Bummer to have to come back to the daily grind, I know. What book(s) did you get into?

It was lovely, and I consciously enjoyed every minute of it while thanking my lucky stars for being there. I can honestly say that is the best, and most needed, holiday I've had in the last thirteen years.

I took several books, and read three. The first was The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson, which I have intended to read for some time. It's a short book and written in the style of its time. Didn't particularly enjoy it, as it's written from the PoV of a third party who isn't in the thick of the action.

The second was a book recommended to me, called Harvest Home, by Thomas Tryon. Very similar to The Wicker Man. It details a city family's move to a small New England community, whose inhabitants are descendants of Cornish settlers. Very slow to get going, with quite flowery prose. When the book finally got going it became quite compelling. Good cast of characters, interesting dilemmas. Trouble was, I got to the stage where I was thinking the protag was a twat, who was doing things that I thought was stupid, so steadily ceased caring what happened to him. Was disappointed with the ending, and I saw it coming from a mile off.

The third book was The Psychopath Test, by Jon Ronson, which was a factual and quite enlightening delve into the world of psychotherapy, the system of mental illness diagnosis, and how Psychopaths often make it to the top of the corporate ladder. Interesting stuff.

I started a fourth book, Sick Notes, by Doctor Tony Copperfield, but wasn't in the right mood for it/found it quite boring. Then began another factual book called, It's Not Me, It's You, by comedian Jon Richardson. It's quite entertaining so far, and I'm hoping to find the time to finish it.

I think I'm one of those people who doesn't really enjoy reading fictional novels, as most I read leave me feeling dissatisfied, like I've just wasted a chunk of my life.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4253 on: January 08, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »

Gutted that you didn't take my oeuvre with you  Cheesy
I have to tell you guys this even if you saw it on my fb.
I had a scare today, which you might know already from facebook. I played on the fourth floor of a play centre with Oliver. We were hide and seeking when he ran to me and said there was a fire! Well, what with my wonky hearing (I've not been able to hear a fire alarm for over a decade unless my ear is pressed to it) and with no one else being on that top level, thoughts of being trapped in the building rushed through me. I thought maybe Oliver had seen smoke so I asked, 'Where?'

'Follow me,' he said, and ran.

I followed across a rope bridge when Oliver turned, pointed at my feet and shouted, 'Mind the crocodiles!'

Anyway, Ed, perhaps you would be good enough to vote for ARIA: Left Luggage on
http://critters.org/predpoll/novelsf.shtml
I'm so shameless.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4254 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »

I had some great books for Christmas that I'm thoroughly looking forward to reading - some Ian M Banks novels, couple of travel books about folks motorcycling and/or cycling round the world, a book on impossible physics, a biography of Townes Van Zandt, and a history of ancient Rome. Well done Santa!

Just got to catch up on about 100 other books then I can tuck into those!

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #4255 on: January 09, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »

Life is simply too short to read all of the books I want to read. Right now, though, I'm on a kick of reading a bunch of books from my youth (Little House books, LJ Smith, etc) because they are brief enough to fit into my busy schedule and because they awaken the wonder and excitement of those days when the world was an endless and mysterious place.

(I throw in a chapter of GRRM to balance it out. I'm rereading the series at about a chapter a day.)

Ed, your vacation sounds wonderful!!

Geoff, glad you survived the crocodiles! 
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4256 on: January 12, 2013, 04:22:37 AM »

Only a few days now to vote in the P&E award contest. I much appreciate any of
your votes for my ARIA: Left Luggage SF novel, which is based on the unique
apocalyptic concept of infectious amnesia. Voting link is
http://critters.org/predpoll/novelsf.shtml

Thanks so much.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4257 on: January 14, 2013, 05:14:17 AM »

Phew -- just surfaced from a really bad cold virus. I've been out of it since Thursday night with a fever, persistent dry cough, streaming nose and agonisingly painful sore throat. It got to the point where my ribs felt like they were broken from all the coughing. Couldn't lie flat, struggled to breathe. Got through three boxes of tissues. Haven't eaten in three days. Can't remember the last time I felt that rough -- felt like I could die. Awful. My youngest has had the exact same thing, so I think we must have both picked it up at the same time on the plane.

Going to try going back to work tomorrow, but I will see how it goes.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4258 on: January 15, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »

Glad you are in recovery, Ed.
I have a short story that was critiqued here in Café Doom in an anthology, Extreme Planets due to be published by Chaosium late 2013. I am a kind of unknown-mystery jam sandwiched between famous bread and butter authors such as Brin, Benford and Stableford. Oh ‘eck!
Just to refresh minds – my Colloidal Suspension was about a couple crashlanding on a liquid planet, and arguing over this and that – a characterization blend in with a plot-led tale that the editors liked.

•   Banner of the Angels” by David Brin and Gregory Benford
•   “Brood” by Stephen Gaskell
•   “Haumea” by G. David Nordley
•   “A Perfect Day off the Farm” by Patty Jansen
•   “Daybreak” by Jeff Hecht
•   “Giants” by Peter Watts
•   “Maelstrom” by Kevin Ikenberry
•   “Murder on Centauri” by Robert J. Mendenhall
•   “The Flight of the Salamander” by Violet Addison and David Smith
•   “Petrochemical Skies” by David Conyers and David Kernot
•   “The Hyphal Layer” by Meryl Ferguson
•   “Colloidal Suspension” by Geoff Nelder
•   “Super-Earth Mother” by Guy Immega
•   “Lightime” by Jay Caselberg
•   “The Seventh Generation” by Brian Stableford

fnord33
Critter

« Reply #4259 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »

cheers Congratulations Geoff.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 282 283 [284] 285 286 287 288 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx