gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 11:18:33 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 292 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589795 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4305 on: March 19, 2013, 06:15:40 AM »

Mornings I normally stagger downstairs, put the kettle on, let the dog out, and switch my laptop on. By the time I've opened the curtains, let the dog in, and made a coffee, my laptop boot-up sequence has reached the stage where I can reset the time and date. I need to do this every time I turn it on as the internal battery is fubarred and it always defaults to 1900, or whenever it was that this laptop was built. Unless the date is set correctly the web browser won't work. Halfway through my coffee and I can normally double click on Chrome. From there it's anything between 10 and 25 minutes before the web is up and usable. By then I'm on my second coffee and some toast. A quick scan at my emails, the news, the Cafe, and a couple of guitar sites and then it's time for work.

This morning I staggered downstairs, put the kettle on, let the dog out, and switched on my new no-frills old technology word-processer thing I mentioned a few posts above. Within three seconds I was writing. By the time I'd had my second coffee, toast, and remembered the dog I had written over a thousand words. Had to tear myself away to go to work.

This thing might prove to be the best writing device I've bought in years!

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #4306 on: March 19, 2013, 07:10:27 AM »

By the time I'd had my second coffee, toast, and remembered the dog I had written over a thousand words. Had to tear myself away to go to work.

This thing might prove to be the best writing device I've bought in years!

But your dog will hate you!

DW Cheesy

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4307 on: March 19, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »

Heh! Nice one. Your mind is well attuned to looking for the twist.  afro

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4308 on: March 19, 2013, 06:18:05 PM »

That battery is ridiculously easy to change, Del -- I reckon you could do it in the time it usually takes you to boot the thing up. Strange that your web browser won't work without the correct date. I used to have a computer with a flat battery, and I kept it that way so I could continue to use trial versions of programmes indefinitely. I don't remember having any issues with browsers. Things must have changed in the meantime. Perhaps you might get more joy with a different browser?

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4309 on: March 20, 2013, 03:47:18 AM »

I might have a dig around for the battery sometime, Ed. I've taken the lappy apart a couple of time so it's not a total mystery - once when it was overheating and I had to get all the dust and crud out. Having taken it totally apart I discovered that the bit I needed to clean was easily accessible from taking off just one panel at the back... and when I put it all together again the screen would't work so I had to try again. But to be honest it's time for a new one - the processor is under-powered for today's software, the keyboard misses too many letters out - just typing a message like this is a chore, the main battery is fubared too. The small hard-drive is full-up and I'm forever transferring data to an extl hard-drive. Browserwise, I've tried IE and Chrome so far, but both are terribly slow. Using the web is a reminder of what the dark days of dial-up were like  bangh

I can get something with, pretty much, ten times the hard-drive space, eight times the RAM, and about six times the processing power for about a hundred quid less than what I bought this one for - and this was just the cheapest I could get around eight years ago. So later this summer I'm going to get me a shiny new one  Cheesy I know I said the same last year. But this year I'm going to! I'm going to sub out some stories and do more writing, too...

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4310 on: March 20, 2013, 04:21:00 AM »

Yep, crazy how things move on. I thought my lappy was ok until we bought the kids new ones. They were only cheap £350 mark ones, but they have ten times the specs mine has, and it's only six or seven years old. I only use mine when I'm staying away somewhere, so that I can still write if the mood takes me. Mind you, the past few times I've just taken my iPad, so it's pretty much redundant these days.

A workmate of mine bought a laptop off another friend, who said he couldn't use it anymore because it was too slow, etc. Dan was doing a computer course at the time. Anyway, he hit the 'restore to factory settings' button and the thing is like a brand new machine. May be worth considering, but bear in mind you lose everything, so thoroughly backup before proceeding afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4311 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »

Yes, I am considering turning this one onto a music recording device when I get another for every day usage. As you say, restore back to factory settings, delete all else, and load on a cheap DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software and use it to record a few demos.

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4312 on: March 20, 2013, 01:15:04 PM »

I still use my little Sony Vaio when away from home. Agreed it is now showing it's 8 or so years age, but speed isn't top prioity for writing. What will ensure its upgrade will be when I need to use a more modern version of Office and or Windows. I think you'll be all right with your new writing device, Del, but I didn't realise when I used a Psion palm held word processer many years ago that the Word version on that even when saved as RTF and knitted into the Word at home created problems for my publihsher when they found embedded codes such as for indentation subtley different in places in the final doc.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4313 on: March 23, 2013, 04:22:35 AM »

Pippa Middleton wrote a book on how to party but its advice was so banal it gave rise to derision on social networks and reviews. Penguin must be kicking themselves because they'd given Pippa a £400,000 advance which they cannot recover. Then it was their fault for thinking the book was any good - ah, but they didn't did they? The reason celeb books are published are not for their literary or informative contribution to society but to make money. Well, this one didn't.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a467774/pippa-middleton-dropped-by-publisher s-after-party-book-flops.html

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4314 on: March 25, 2013, 03:03:24 AM »

The article says she's now got a monthly column in Waitrose's magazine, so she's still doing better than many writers!

Robert B. Parker
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4315 on: March 25, 2013, 06:21:09 AM »

The new toy / old technology proved a success again last night. Lying in bed with a great idea for a scene preventing me from dropping off to sleep, so I hit the on button and was typing within about three seconds. 600 words later and I was sleeping like a log - my prose does that to a lot of people.

Another 600 words at 5.00 am this morning.

Mightn't be sleeping well but at least I'm writing!

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4316 on: March 26, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »

Well done, that man, Del. An impressive machine - and that goes for your wp too Wink

I've had a spot of luck with the new SF review magazine upcoming4me running a piece about ARIA. They rejected my first piece saying they wanted something whacky. What do you think?
http://upcoming4.me/news/book-news/story-behind-aria-by-geoff-nelder

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #4317 on: March 27, 2013, 01:36:03 AM »

I've had a spot of luck with the new SF review magazine upcoming4me running a piece about ARIA. They rejected my first piece saying they wanted something whacky. What do you think?
http://upcoming4.me/news/book-news/story-behind-aria-by-geoff-nelder

That was excellent, Geoff... er, whatever it was I just read!

The help from space and the iPad were real highlights.

DW Cheesy

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #4318 on: March 27, 2013, 01:40:06 AM »

Lying in bed with a great idea for a scene preventing me from dropping off to sleep, so I hit the on button and was typing within about three seconds. 600 words later and I was sleeping like a log - my prose does that to a lot of people.

Another 600 words at 5.00 am this morning.

Mightn't be sleeping well but at least I'm writing!

Funnily enough, hearing Every Day Fiction needed an April Fools' Day story, I set to work on one at 12:30 A.M., during the Montenegro / England football match and finished the submitted draft at 3:30 - and it was....600 words!

As you say, Del, 'Mightn't be sleeping well but at least I'm writing!'

DW Cheesy

marc_chagall
« Reply #4319 on: March 30, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »

Happy Easter! Here are some Easter bunnies. This should probably come with a warning... http://www.happyplace.com/15235/the-creepiest-easter-bunny-photos-ever-taken/page/1
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 292 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx