gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 08:27:56 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 287 288 [289] 290 291 292 293 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590089 times)
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #4320 on: March 31, 2013, 04:42:58 AM »

Happy Easter! Here are some Easter bunnies. This should probably come with a warning... http://www.happyplace.com/15235/the-creepiest-easter-bunny-photos-ever-taken/page/1

Yep, happy Easter everybody. Some freaky bunny-wunnies, there.

DW Cheesy

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4321 on: March 31, 2013, 06:04:59 AM »

Happy Easter everybody afro

Nice to finally see some sunshine here. I thought this winter would never end

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4322 on: April 02, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »

Yes, was a glorious Easter sunday  cool Mowed the lawns, vacuumed the house, cleaned the kitchen floor, unblocked the bathroom sink, walked the dog (twice), did the laundry, and played a stupendous wedding gig in the evening. Today it's back to work...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4323 on: April 03, 2013, 03:41:06 AM »

Very quiet here these days? Has Starbucks opened a cafe next door? Or has everyone else slipped off to another forum without telling me? Maybe it's karma for the time we told the drummer we were breaking up the band, but then reformed immediately with a new drummer...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
marc_chagall
« Reply #4324 on: April 03, 2013, 04:04:13 AM »

Still here! Busy doing NaPoWriMo, plus writing mother's biography, plus editing a book, plus illustrating a book, plus doing admin on three forums, plus entering competitions, plus trying to earn a living.

But still here.  afro
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4325 on: April 03, 2013, 06:14:28 AM »

Busy bee! 

I'm still currently enjoying the hell out of writing on my new Alphasmart Neo. Love the feel of the keyboard and the fact that I can write anywhere at anytime and even if I just want to put down one sentence it's so quick easy. It doesn't lend itself to too much editing either so it forces me to just get the words down and worry about draft 2 later. And no interweb to distract.

Robert B. Parker
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #4326 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »

I'm still here, too. Just not getting much done writing-wise so haven't had much to say. Got my rejection from Clarion West about a week ago. Huge bummer even though I expected it. Kind of beat down my waning enthusiasm. I'm recouping and regrouping. Aiming to get a decent writing schedule reestablished so I can have something ready for next months crit-group in case there's a session.

Yikes, delph, you are busy. Envy your capabilities, juggling so much.

Cool that the Alphasmart is working out for you, del. I can imagine how the lack of editing features might enable the first draft to flow more readily.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4327 on: April 03, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »

Still here too. Writing ARIA 3. Got a signing at Wigan Library on Monday 8th April 2-4pm. Send your friends and relatives living nearby or I'll be on my own. Best signing I've done is 40+ in Chester but some of those were parents of kids I'd taught in the local comp. Worse was FantasyCon but hardly anyone sold more than a handful in the dealers room, which was in the basement far from activity above.

Sad about Iain Banks having terminal cancer. He helped me out at NewCon4 by suggesting to some of his loooong queue that they should buy my book.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4328 on: April 03, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »

Still here, just about. Having a very busy time with work, but I generally pop in here twice a day to see who is around. Haven't done any writing for ages, apart from the flash contest entry I wrote a couple weeks ago.

I think it's particularly quiet around here because the annual competition didn't go ahead, and that tends to reinvigorate the place once a year and get the crit group moving.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4329 on: April 04, 2013, 06:03:43 AM »

Yes, very sad about Iain Banks. I remember when he first started out - I read The Wasp Factory, and thought how wonderful it was, and he's just got better and better.

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4330 on: April 04, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »

I think I've just lost a potential client for my content editing services. He's written a teen book from a boy's POV and he has Asperger's Syndrome. He sent me a synopsis and first chapter, which I content edit for free, then if they like what I do they pay for the same treatment for the full project. There were few errors apart from the usual no Show and too many pleonasms but the main problem as I saw it was the lack of conflict. He boy had a bit of bullying to contend with because of his AS but it seems the author considered AS to be sufficiently interesting to hold the reader. It's as if he's not read nor know about that famous AS novel by Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Lots of conflict and action in that book as well as many of the AS condition explored. I've had to point all this out. I'm wondering if he thinks he could use a literary style and that needs less action and conflict than an adventure story. Not so these days, I think. Well, I've sent off my crit so he'll either be angry with me, or himself and want me or not.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4331 on: April 08, 2013, 02:44:14 AM »

Had to laugh. Our eldest had a friend stay over a couple of nights ago. To get him back for a prank he pulled last week, my wife put up a One Direction poster on his bedroom wall while he was out. Teenagers being teenagers, he didn't spot the poster for over an hour, but when he did he let out a blood curdling scream grin Psych!

My guess is that it was his friend who spotted it first afro

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #4332 on: April 08, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »

Had to laugh. Our eldest had a friend stay over a couple of nights ago. To get him back for a prank he pulled last week, my wife put up a One Direction poster on his bedroom wall while he was out. Teenagers being teenagers, he didn't spot the poster for over an hour, but when he did he let out a blood curdling scream grin Psych!

My guess is that it was his friend who spotted it first afro

You should have pinned a Justin Beiber poster underneath!

DW Cheesy

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4333 on: April 10, 2013, 05:42:02 PM »

Speaking of posters, I've now had ARIA posters stolen at both FantasyCon in Brighton and the Leigh & Wigan Words Festival in Wigan library. Good thing they are paid for by the publisher or I'd be out of pocket at these gigs. Come to think of it .... Maybe it's the publishers nicking back their own posters!

marc_chagall
« Reply #4334 on: April 15, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »

Love this latest status update on facebook from Whitby Abbey:

"Did you know that Whitby Abbey is home to a few species of newts including the great crested newt? Yesterday, due to the high winds some of our staff had to turn into a newt rescue party as a few of them got trapped in the open grave (near the east wall). Luckily everybody was rescued and safely returned to the pond."

Question is: are they referring to the newts or the rescue party?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 287 288 [289] 290 291 292 293 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx