gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 10:12:37 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 288 289 [290] 291 292 293 294 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588881 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4335 on: April 17, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »

Speaking of newts, frog spawn is in plentiful supply around here. Lucky cos grandson wanted to try out his bug finding kit and apart from woodlice and ants we didn't find much in the area of Manchester in which he lives. He was made up though, when he saw the frog spawn. Not easy picking it up with your hands Wink

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4336 on: April 19, 2013, 03:20:42 AM »

At last I have a page to promote ARIA
I'll hug you if you visit and like

http://www.facebook.com/AriaTrilogy

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4337 on: April 23, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »

Ages ago I had a story in the Crit group here at Cafe Doom called Auditory Crescendo. It was about a US Gulf War veteran who was fitted with an experimental hearing aid. He could hear a conversation 4 miles away but nothing in between. It went horribly wrong, of course and that made the story. Even weirder than the story is that it's been selected by an academic journal for an issue about science fiction and technology for investigating possible futures. Today my story is published in their pre-print preview and is number 6 in the TOC here
 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/aip/00163287

Now stand back because you can purchase my short story there for as little as $41.95 haha. Or you can read it for free if you visit the archives here on CD - though it is slightly different.

I queried the high price but apparently academic articles are that kind of price as it is mostly university faculties that buy them. Most take out an annual subscription. Still feels odd.

marc_chagall
« Reply #4338 on: April 23, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »

Crikey!  Shocked
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4339 on: April 23, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »

I hope you're getting a good cut of that Geoff afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4340 on: April 24, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »

The contributors glean little from academic publicaions, Ed. It's the Kudos of heing in there and although it doesn't apply to me most staff members of universities have to get published to keep their tally up for research grants, etc. I think I get a token amount somewhere along the line shared by all the others in the journal.

I had to smile on April 8th in Wigan. The photographer made me. She smiled too so it wasn't difficult but why do they need to take 100 snaps to just use two in the paper. Anyhow the write up is indulgent and so is my grin, and the small gathering ate most of my sweets at the ARIA discussion. You can see the pdf pics and all here
from the Wigan Evening Post
http://geoffnelder.com/wigan.PDF

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4341 on: April 26, 2013, 03:57:45 AM »

I'm 20 days into a 40 day challenge to learn an instrumental song and then to get right inside the song and really try to improve my playing. I'm five books into a 10 book read-a-load-of-modern-thrillers-one-after-the-other challenge in order to get a better grasp of the market. I'm four weeks into the new financial year and the  Marianas Trench-like pressures of new targets. I'm 49 years and 50 weeks into life, and I'm four days into this working week  cheers

Oh, and I'm three coffees into this particular Friday and it ain't even nine o'clock  afro
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:58:39 AM by delboy » Logged

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4342 on: April 28, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »

The same Friday morning Del was into his third coffee I was not far from him in the Great Western pub in Gloucester attending a family funeral wake. I rarely see this Gloucestershire branch of the family - even less so because the passed-on chap wasn't a blood relative - he'd married one of my aunts. There must have been 70 or more distant relatives and 6 close ones crammed into the quaint old pub. Now here's the writer's dilemma. I am surrounded by people who have not only not read my books but don't know me well-enough to be aware I am a writer. Do I go round hugging and hand-shaking then slip my ARIA postcard into their hand / pockets / handbags? Do I leave them on the tables? In the end I did nothing except mention my writerliness to one who asked what I did.

It occurred to me that I could have had beermats made up that advertised ARIA. Was it you, Dell, who suggested that to me ages ago? I'd enquired in one pub in Chester who said they had an exclusive deal with their brewery so wouldn't accept them, so I didn't follow through.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4343 on: April 29, 2013, 06:57:14 AM »

Pubs are going the same way as writing... not sure beermats are the way forward. What you need is an iPhone App...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4344 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:30 AM »

There are book reading apps but a smart phone is good for short stories and I have some on http://www.etherbooks.com/

I have 5 on there - one free - the others people pay to read and I get a tiny royalty.

An app to advertise and sell my ARIA trilogy, though - there's an idea. I don't know how to write them but Mark Iles, who has been on CD writes apps. Umm, I'll have a word with him and the publisher.

LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #4345 on: April 29, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »

hey geoff,  just saw a pic of you being interviewed by a hobbit in a suit!.....saw the blurb about madam mayor going to the brewery before church! is that what they do in your neck of the woods?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:40:30 AM by LashSlash » Logged
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #4346 on: April 29, 2013, 11:55:31 AM »

hey geoff,  just saw a pic of you being interviewed by a hobbit in a suit!.....saw the blurb about madam mayor going to the brewery before church! is that what they do in your neck of the woods?

Just read the article, Geoff. Very well written and informative, too.

As for the mayors going to the brewery and then church - there must be a story in that!

DW Cheesy

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4347 on: May 01, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »

The mayor has to be sozzled to go to church in Wigan. Thanks for appreciating that aritcle on ARIA both of you smiley

As for using an app to sell books, Mark Iles tells me the costs are prohibitive unless you are already rich. Maybe back to beermats and just sneak them into pubs without asking.

fnord33
Critter

« Reply #4348 on: May 01, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »

There's always the old kill some strangers and leave your book in their hand method. Or you could donate some to local old folks homes. Probably less chance of jail on that one.

I've had a weird week. My main hard drive broke again (4th one this year), but I didn't lose anything important. I just had to pay a $400 dental bill for my cat. It went from, he needs a cleaning to he needs an extraction and has a hole that leads to his sinuses. He's fine now, just a bit annoyed with me. My uncle had his prostate removed(cancer), he's good. So, lots going on, but I can't wait for simple old "I got a book deal and I'm going to be rich".    Wink

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #4349 on: May 07, 2013, 06:21:16 AM »

Ahoy, strangers! I'm still kicking about  grin

My creative juices have been on something on a steady simmer these last few months, so it was with profound relief and excitement that a spot of gardening this weekend led me to conjure up an idea for a weird story about long grass. Hurray! My band's basically died so I've not been writing music properly for months either, which is rubbish. However, the arts collective I run with my best mate has got funding for our next big event in July, which is brill - it's under the umbrella of 'Big Sky Fest' and is taking place at a massive venue here in Scunthorpe called Baths Hall, that's home to touring (big name) comedians, orchestras, and some of them ballroom dancer types from off the teevee. I realized recently that my website has had over 7300 visitors in a year, which is also mental, so I'm going to rejig it and start running book competitions and things like that smiley I'm also also also also helping my boss at work curate a show based on 2000AD and Judge Dredd, which is really exciting!

And that's HOW for NOW!  dance

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 288 289 [290] 291 292 293 294 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx