News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnord33

My insurance company is buying me a new roof. :cheesy: Thank you wind and hail!
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

delboy

I cycled into town today and for a change I took my camera. Here are a few snaps of my journey:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101615295@N03/sets/72157635856673035/

Would have taken more but I was late for the dentist.

Alas, my camera appears to have now given up the ghost. Less than a year old, too. I shall try banging it with a light hammer tomorrow and see if that helps.

Kind regards

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Good luck with the hammering - that's a great set of photos and I want to see more.  :afro:

delboy

The hammer worked!

Well, it was a pen-knife... but it goes to prove that a modern, highly technological and finely tuned precision instrument made to microscopic tolerances does indeed benefit from a little brute force and ignorance now and then.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

Great set of photos, Del, could easily be calendar shots.

I tend to take odd photos like this one
http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/a-bridge-too-narrow/

my camera isn't working properly either. That photo are from my Samsung Galaxy phone and aren't generally as good as from my Kodak c360, which has given up the ghost. I was pleased to get a phone that doubled up as a camera cos it meant not having to take both but it looks like I might have to buy a camera after all.

Ed

Some nice pics there, Del :afro:

The last time I took some pics with my digital SLR camera (cost an arm and a leg to buy), I couldn't use the photos, gave up and used my iphone's camera. It's amazingly good picture quality and ridiculously easy to use. Always seem to get good colour and exposure with it, whereas with the SLR it's the opposite. I'm sure the problem lies with the person holding the camera.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Talking of stories... here's a story song for which I wrote the lyrics  :cool:  This must be 25 years old and I only recently discovered there was a version that hadn't been lost as the world moved from analogue to digital. Many folk from that era jest that my stories always featured a dead girl, a lake, and a flashback...This one doesn't have a lake, but it does have a river. No flashbacks, though!

http://youtu.be/9b_yrRO1x7I

Kind regards
Derek

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Geoff_N

Yeah, good one.
I'm off to Bristolcon this month. Sat 26th. Taking Mrs N though she's not actually attending the con. tut tut.

Geoff_N

I often answer cold callers with, "I'm sorry, I only do interviews through my agent." Then hang up (or walk away if it is in person in town.
Feels good.
If only my lit agent woud call as often.

Geoff_N

Talking to my self again ho hum.
Hey last night at 2:30am I typed the final . in ARIA: Abandoned Luggage the third and last book in my ARIA Trilogy. I am upset because I'll miss favourite characters who have lived with me by day and occupy my dreams at night. There you go. Of course it is still a draft and it will be lacerated at the British Science Fiction Association critique group before going to the publisher's editor where she will remove my commas and then the proofreader who will likely put most of them back in again – haha.
As my well-experienced publishing and journalist pal, Neil Marr would quote:
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill, 1942
I meet up with award-winning artist, Andy Bigwood at BristolCon later this month to discuss options for the cover art. Exciting part of the creative process.
I'll let you know when it is ready for sale if you are interested.

delboy

Hi Geoff - I'm still here listening to the echoes of you monologue :-)

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Quote from: delboy on October 05, 2013, 03:15:54 PM
Hi Geoff - I'm still here listening to the echoes of you monologue :-)

Me too, occasionally :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

elay2433

Hey Everyone. Pretty quiet around here lately. I've been lurking, watching the Flash Challenge pass weekly, telling myself I'll come up with something this week, and then not getting to it. Added another to my family back in August. Two girls and a boy now, and I love it, but it means I'm pretty much tired and broke most of the time. Also means finding a bit of space to write is getting harder and harder. Still dreaming the stories though, and still feeling the need to get the words down.

My laptop is about to quit on me and I was looking to get a tablet/keyboard combo. Dell has a cheap model, but it runs Android 4.2.2. I don't know anything about that OS. Anyone have any experience with it? My go-to writing program is Microsoft Word. I realize I probably won't be able to run Word on the Android OS, but I was wondering if there was anything close? Anybody got experience running word programs on Android? Hoping I can go for this cheap tablet (because I've got a dell gift card that would pay for most of it) and not have to fork out the cash for a new laptop.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jerry

delboy

Hey elay, good to hear from you. About x amount of years ago I arrived at the Café and the Flash Challenge was where I started. It was a great way to keep the muse musing and to keep the fingers flying. Recently, I've struggled with inspiration. The reason is work. Many times over the last 15 years I thought it was busy, but it's never been like it is now. In a way, it's not the busy-ness but the stress and the demands and the constant pressure. They're screwing everything down so tight it's like every day is a challenge just to get through it. And come the evening it's all about cracking open some alcohol and celebrating another day's survival. Not conducive to writing. But recently I've been using the Flash Challenge again as a way to get the muse musing and the fingers flying and suddenly I'm really enjoying writing again. Can't help with Operating Systems though!

Kind regards
Derek

Robert B. Parker