News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnord33

Congrats man you sounded great, as always. I spent the night reading blase graphic novels and reintroducing myself to Frank Zappa. The Zappa part was nice. Now I'm waiting for my ambien to finish kicking in.

Do any of you have any connections in the dice or comics fields? I know a guy looking for a distribution deal for his comics, and I'm trying to launch a new dice game of my own devising.

I'm going to have my site live soon. I'll let you know when it's up. We can link up, promote, anything you like.

I should probably toddle off before I end up chewing on my keyboard.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

delboy

Cool - just saw my PLR statement for UK libraries last year. More than 2000 loan on my books, which makes it my best year yet. The next book is due out next month, too. :smiley:s
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Great stuff! Just seen my statement too. My books are clearly all in the wrong libraries.  :bangh:

delboy

I think if I looked at actual sales of my books (rather than loans) the amount would be somewhere less than 1. It's just lucky that my books (so far) are pretty much designed for the library model.

In other news I'm still doing my 600 words before breakfast each morning. Haven't quite reached 30 days yet so I can't say the habit is fully formed (it actually doesn't feel like it will ever become habit) but it's definitely becoming easier to open Word and hit the blank sheet running. The WiP is up to about 17000 words. the words themselves are great. I'm not sure about the order I've put them in, though!
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Sounding good. My WIP is around 46,000 at the moment, so well over halfway there, but the rest is going to be much trickier. It's a biography, and I've run out of the personal 'stuff'. Need to do some research to fill in the historical background, but I'm no historian and don't really know how to go about doing it. I've applied for a grant to enable me to at least get to the Imperial War Museum and study archival material, but I very much doubt if I'll get it, so I am probably going to have to finance this myself out of my *ahem* earnings from my books. :scratch:

Tricky stuff, this writing. No, the writing's not tricky; it's the making any money out of it that's problematic.

elay2433

QuoteMore than 2000 loan on my books, which makes it my best year yet.

That's really cool, Del.  :afro: Good to see that your words are coming easier, too. I'm not making well with my resolutions, but I knew I wouldn't, considering the goals I'd set. Have managed to make writing a more regular habit though, even if it's only been journaling and Doom Flash so far.

Jerry

delboy

At least you're getting the engine turning over, Jerry! That's a good thing. I used a few weeks of the Flash competition (back a month or so) to do the same thing. Maybe it was a little selfish - maybe not - but once that engine had turned over a few times I was up and running and now I'm out on the highway....or at least a badly rutted gravel road.

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

My PLR is feeble. Cheshire had copies of all my non-fiction and fiction books but the county has not been included in the sample for PLR assessments for years and I can't see it included in the next few two years either. I donate copies occasionally when visiting writer groups eg in Newcastle, Wigan, Carlisle and I get my library to oder Peter Tomlinson's fantasy books while he gets Shropshire to order mine. I get far more from the ALCS photocopying though that's a puzzle!

delboy

My draft # 1 is turning out to be a voyage of discovery - almost like writing a very detailed outline. New characters keep turning up and although I roughly and approximately and very vaguely know what's meant to be happening the events so far are all over the place time-wise and pacing-wise. There's a lack of conflict in many scenes and I know I'd score very low on most of the crit group template areas for what I've written so far. Nevertheless, I am resisting the urge to go back and change things. I am pushing on regardless and when I reach the end of the draft then will be the time to try and make sense of it all and see if there's a workable story somewhere within all the confusion.

Best of all, I'm just starting to feel like the habit of writing first thing is starting to form. It ain't formed, that's for sure. But mind, body, and spirit are starting to get used to it. So I can start to see how it could happen if I just keep on keeping on!

Robert B. Parker

delboy

Still at it every single morning before anything else  :cool:  The WiP is up and over 30 000 words now - although I know I'm going to have the world's biggest rewrite to do when I finally finish this first draft.

Dare I say it, but this writing is getting to be a habit...

Robert B. Parker

desertwomble

Quote from: delboy on February 09, 2014, 04:26:29 AM
Still at it every single morning before anything else  :cool:  The WiP is up and over 30 000 words now - although I know I'm going to have the world's biggest rewrite to do when I finally finish this first draft.

Dare I say it, but this writing is getting to be a habit...

Quit being sociable and get back to your keyboard!

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

delboy

Hey Womble! Good to hear from you. Need any water where you are? We got a little bit spare over here in the South West.

Robert B. Parker

delboy

Bit of guitar playing, as I've not posted any for a while... This is my first attempt at playing a tune in a non standard tuning DADGAD. Still trying to find my way around the guitar in this revised tuning, but it was fun to do:

http://youtu.be/liwaRHYv9-E

Cheers
Derek

Robert B. Parker

elay2433

Nice to see the schedule holding up for you, Del.  :afro: I'm still shifting, however slowly, in the right direction. I did something a little different over the weekend that made it easier to get some writing done. Rather than doing anything else first (aside from eating a bowl of cereal and starting coffee), I put on some clothes, trekked out to the garage and got my butt in the chair. Managed 1500 words each morning, which for me is pretty good (even though I wrote until nearly noon both days). If I was free-flowing, or had a better idea where the story was going, I might have fared a little better, but I was revising as I went along. Still, glad to have found something to adjust that made it easier to get some words down. I used to get myself and everything I'd need for the day together first, which never left much for writing no matter how early I started. Planned to go at it this new way again Monday, but I snoozed. Got up this morning at 4, was in the garage by 4:20, wrote until 7. Another 1800 words. Just have to keep at it without losing too much sleep.

Lovely sound, too, Del. Don't think I could play in a different tuning without a lot of practice. My fingers would want to go where they know what they're doing.

marc_chagall

Different tunings are fine so long as you disengage your brain and just play. With me, it's not the same instrument with different tunings, it's different instruments, so I'll play standard violin tuning on a violin and mandolin (playing off treble clef) then swap to viola (fifth lower, playing off alto clef) then bass viola da gamba (6 strings, close to standard guitar tuning, but D not E and playing off bass clef) then ordinary guitar (back to E and treble clef). If I think about what I'm doing it'll all go horribly wrong. I can play piano fluently from treble, alto and bass clefs, but again, have to disengage brain particularly with alto clef and play by judging intervals as much as knowing what the note is.

Lovely recording, Del.