gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 02:15:03 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 303 304 [305] 306 307 308 309 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589581 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4560 on: July 06, 2014, 06:39:07 AM »

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Geoff afro

I finally had to give-in the other day and invest in a pair of reading glasses. The optician said I was borderline, but when I put them on for the first time and used them to read something, lifting and dropping them in front of my eyes to see the difference, I suddenly realised how fuzzy everything looked without them. With this small thing I also saw a glimpse of what it's like to have bits of yourself stop working like they should do with the passage of time, and I don't like it!

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4561 on: July 07, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »

Slippery slope, Ed. I started wearing reading glasses a few years ago and now I need them for almost everything. On the downward side of that slippery slope, too....

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4562 on: July 09, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »

One advantage of being shortsighted is that you never need reading glasses.

On the other hand it meant that I didn't see that mod on his motor scooter early one saturday morning coming up the Promenade in Cheltenham. I recall as clear as yesterday sailing backwards through the air before clouting the back of my head on the tarmac. I still have the bump 50 years later. After that my parents said I was to wear my specs all day and not just at the cinema.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4563 on: July 16, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »

Blogged today on how to email your new book promo to the hundreds of unfortunates in your email contacts list without causing too many upsets. Have a peep if you're interested.
http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/how-not-to-lose-friends/

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4564 on: July 22, 2014, 02:44:16 AM »

Nice to have a bit of a summer for a change. Can't last scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4565 on: July 22, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »

Too hot for me this last week!

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4566 on: July 22, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »

Too hot for me this last week!

Me too, at times, but I enjoy having the doors open to outside and eating dinner out on the patio in the evening. Feels like being on holiday afro

Where's everybody going this year? We still haven't booked ours, but I'm conscious our kids have reached the age where they won't be coming with us much longer, so I'm leaning towards something they would like. Maybe activity based, or do the American theme parks or something. They're both thrill seekers. Not my type of thing -- every time I look at a roller coaster all I see is rusting bolts and metal fatigue grin

marc_chagall
« Reply #4567 on: July 22, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »

We're popping across the Pennines to the Lakes. It's near, it's beautiful, I never tire of it.

Meanwhile, in Corsica... my daughter Rose wandered into the centre of Bastia today with my granddaughter, Almabella, and found the place full of beautiful Indian people clearly making a film - there was music, dancing, all real Bollywood stuff. The couple who were starring in it spotted Rose and Almabella in the crowd and came over and said hello (Almabella is a very engaging baby, who clearly attracts the stars). The female star chatted with Rose, for a while, wanted to know the baby's name, etc, etc. Rose later went on the internet to find who she'd been talking to. The bloke was Ranbir Kapoor and the woman was Deepika Padukone; the film they're making is called Tamasha. Thank you Wikipedia.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4568 on: July 23, 2014, 03:15:32 AM »

I had a week in Devon back in the spring. That's probably it for the year,  think. I have a week booked off work in August but we won't be going anywhere. I am looking forward to the break though  cool

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4569 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »

Warmer here in Cheshire than last month in Lanzarote. Love cycling in these high 20s temps. Nothing more planned other than a week in a cottage near Buxton so we can hike the hills and spend a day or two with the kids and their kids camping nearby.

elay2433
Critter

« Reply #4570 on: July 24, 2014, 02:29:34 PM »

Maybe activity based, or do the American theme parks or something.

We do our vacation in Santa Cruz, CA. They've got the boardwalk amusement park which is pretty cool (it's where they shot some of the scenes from the movie Lost Boys). It works great for us because it's only a few hours away. Lot's of fun for the kids and very affordable for us. One of these days when my budget is in better shape I'd like to take them to one of the Disney parks.

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has one of the oldest wooden coasters in the U.S. -- 90 years old (and only three fatalities  undecided) -- so not much rust or metal fatigue there.  afro

In the news recently was the 6 flags park in southern california. Coaster partially derailed after hitting a tree that had fallen onto the tracks. Nobody was hurt badly, but that had to be pretty terrifying.

Jerry

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4571 on: July 25, 2014, 03:12:50 AM »

Maybe activity based, or do the American theme parks or something.

so not much rust or metal fatigue there.  afro

Nails, Jerry -- nail fatigue undecided

Sounds good other than that, though. Californian weather is better than Floridian this time of year, I think. Last time we went to Florida it was overcast and raining most days. Get enough of that at home afro

Delph -- I bet that was quite a spectacle. My wife loves all that Bollywood style dancing. Shame Ambella won't remember much about it, but I believe babies soak up experiences and it reflects in their personality sooner or later. All good.

We still haven't booked anything, and our slot is only three weeks away. Wouldn't mind a stint at Ourgate like you Del, if only the phone would leave me alone and the weather would stay fine. We'll have to wait and see.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4572 on: July 25, 2014, 03:53:49 PM »

Weird day. It's exactly a month since being taken into Broad Green hospital and had a pipecleaner shoved up my artery with balloons and stents so I went back to have a follow-up appointment, change of meds etc. This should have been easy. Train to Lime Street, train again to Broad Green station then a mile walk and to stroll in as a pedestrian instead of feet first on a gurney (am I allowed to use that noun here - caused a bit of a fuss on facebook). However, Liverpool was in chaos, in the nicest possible way. Carnival of the return of the Giants. Huge models of people paraded through the streets. Not bad except it attracted thousands onto the same trains I was on. Ho hum.

Funny thing too was that I was given a tenner - which made me a profit on the £5 train journey. Because I am on a drugs trial I was given the cash towards expenses. NHS actually paying me to get well smiley

marc_chagall
« Reply #4573 on: August 02, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »

Have just received my contributor's copy of 'What Has Two Heads, Ten Eyes, and Terrifying Table Manners?' and am interested to see I've been anthologised alongside Arthur Conan Doyle. That's never happened to me before.  dance
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4574 on: August 02, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »

Have just received my contributor's copy of 'What Has Two Heads, Ten Eyes, and Terrifying Table Manners?' and am interested to see I've been anthologised alongside Arthur Conan Doyle. That's never happened to me before.  dance

Congrats, Delph afro Have to confess I had little titter there seeing the title of the book in the post after Geoff tells us he's taking part in a drugs trial. I'm picturing a Dr Jekyl moment Cheesy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 303 304 [305] 306 307 308 309 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx