gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 05:51:02 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 313 [314] 315 316 317 318 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589073 times)
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #4695 on: July 11, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »

I'm happy to report that hubby returned home a couple of weeks ago, and is doing well. He's now able to eat a normal diet, and is taking care of his own bathing and dressing, etc. But he's still not back to full strength. He can walk for short distances (up the street and back), but tires quickly. They did an MRI while he was still in rehab and found evidence of a stroke, which explains the left-side impairment he was having. Much of that disability is gone, but he's still working on regaining strength and dexterity in the left hand. He's getting in-home physical and occupational therapy a couple days a week, then he'll start doing outpatient therapy (cardio rehab).

Considering the length of time he was unconscious post-op, he's come a LONG way.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4696 on: July 12, 2015, 05:08:52 AM »

Glad to hear he's doing so well, Pharo. I bet you've both got a few more grey hairs from the stress and worry, and you will be needing a good holiday somewhere sunny where you can kick back and relax for a couple of weeks, but hopefully it's all better from here onwards afro

My wife had her test results back yesterday from the bits they took out during surgery and nothing suspicious was found, so we are relieved. It's strange because neither of us really believed the problem was cancerous, but when the news came through we both felt like a weight lifted. She is still in some pain from the surgery and slowly pads around the house holding her belly. Can't lift anything, can't drive, winces at every bump in the road when I take her anywhere, though she's gradually getting better.

I'm getting a taste of what it must be like to be a single parent, from the point of view of making lunch boxes, the school run twice a day, washing, cleaning, cooking, lifts here there and everywhere, on top of trying to run a business. I never quite realised how much work it is -- I'm knackered. Still, can't complain, at least it's temporary and nothing I can't handle. People have been very kind and offered help, but I seem to get this kind of bunker mentality when something like this happens and I hunker down and push through on my own. Stubborn, I suppose. Asinine perhaps. I think the problem is that I don't like feeling beholden to anybody, which is kinda stupid, but you can't help how you feel about some things can you scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
marc_chagall
« Reply #4697 on: July 13, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »

Great to hear things are getting better for Mr Pharo and Mrs Ed  afro
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4698 on: July 14, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »

What Delph said. Seriously, family illness can be so worrying and enervating for those picking up the pieces. Hope I didn't worry Mrs N too much this time last year with my angioplasty but at least I keep out of her way most of the time by riding my bike and taking my laptop to cafes and libraries.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4699 on: August 14, 2015, 02:55:01 AM »

I'm really seriously sick of this rain. Monsoon season in the British Isles, or summer, as we call it. Awful. Drove back from Cornwall last night in torrential rain, aquaplaning all over the place. Still, off on my hols soon to Italy. We did the whole package deal to Mallorca and Tenerife the past couple of years, but you can't beat a villa in the middle of nowhere, IMO. Costs about the same, but I find it much more relaxing. Not sure how the kids are going to take it. I'm guessing as long as they have wi-fi they'll be happy enough.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #4700 on: August 14, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »

Wish we could trade weather for a bit, Ed. Severe drought here in California. 80-106 degree temps all summer, too. Kind of nice except for the drought part. Have fun on your vacation.  afro

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Russell
Grave Digger

« Reply #4701 on: August 16, 2015, 04:34:04 AM »

Sorry for weather Ed, but hope Italy is better.  I'm just inland from the Sussex coast (the south/south east of England for those who need directions) and I have to say that it's been a good Summer. Since June I think it has only been 4 or 5 washout days, lots of sun otherwise, but not too many days when it has been too hot.  Off to North Yorkshire for the August bank holiday week.  It too will be the middle of nowhere, which for a holiday at least, is how I like it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4702 on: August 16, 2015, 02:34:39 PM »

Wish we could trade weather for a bit, Ed. Severe drought here in California. 80-106 degree temps all summer, too. Kind of nice except for the drought part. Have fun on your vacation.  afro

Yeah, that's a bit too hot for me as well, Jerry. I hope you get a bit of our rain soon -- we can certainly spare it.

Russel -- I hope you enjoy your hols. I think the Home Counties are probably the best weather wise in GB. The south west takes the brunt of the weather coming off the Atlantic, so you never can tell what is going to happen one day to the next.

We're in Italy now -- just arrived. It's thundering and lighting at the moment grin

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4703 on: August 17, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »

Just checking in! Good news, I see, with our various better halves improving. And holidays approaching, too  cool I have some time off in September. Not going away, but nevertheless I can't wait. It's been about six months, and a hectic and stressful six months workwise. Won't miss the commute for a fortnight either. Might even finish the latest western which has been stalled at a crucial moment whilst I head up and down the A46.

Cheers
D

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4704 on: August 18, 2015, 03:17:38 PM »

I hope you enjoy your hols, Del. We last had a break at Christmas and, like you, it's been a very tough few months for various reasons.

It's nice being here on an Italian hillside, surrounded by olive groves, and the weather is now hot and sunny, but most of all it's nice just being alone as a family and spending time together. We sat out on the terrace last night, ate and drank, laughed and talked until late. I really enjoyed it. I'm also aware that with the boys now young men, they probably won't be holidaying with us very much longer -- they'll likely be off doing their own thing soon enough. Time has really flown these past ten years.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4705 on: August 19, 2015, 07:01:01 AM »

Sounds good, Ed!

I'm counting the days to my break. There I talk that I might need to go in one day for a meeting with the Finance people (who run everything). It'll be a bit annoying as breaking up the holiday for a day at work will be akin to being woken up in the middle of a good night's sleep. Even if one gets off to sleep again right away one is never quite as refreshed in the morning...

Being working on getting the western back into shape so come September I can have a real good crack at finishing it, Been enjoying it, actually. I know where it's headed, what the last few scenes are, and what needs addressing in the rewrite. To be honest, I've missed the focus that this place used to help me bring to my writing. It'd a lot harder on one's own!

Cheers
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4706 on: August 27, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »

Know what you mean, Del. Right in the middle of my holiday there was a crisis at work with one guy threatening to quit, and I had to mediate the problem just as we were sitting down to lunch in a restaurant overlooking the sea. Mentally it drags you straight back home. My best holidays are when I switch off everything and forget about work altogether for the time I'm away. Hard to get away with when you're the boss.

Back now. We had a great time. Spent the first week in a villa on a hillside surrounded by olive groves, hot tub with panoramic views, outdoor pizza oven, big terrace with shade and sun all times of the day, and the last three days in a posh hotel overlooking the sea in Naples. I got us rooms with a balcony in prime position, with a view of Vesuvius to our left and the bay of Naples spread out before us and all the way around to the right, and the island of Capri in the distance. Fantastic. Most days were 28 to 29C and sunny.

And the whole lot with spending money included came to less than the crappy package deal we had in Tenerife last year, and a lot less than Majorca the year before. Booked the whole lot through Easyjet and Booking.com this year. Thoroughly recommend it afro

Hope you have a good break as well smiley

elay2433
Critter

« Reply #4707 on: August 27, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »

Spent the first week in a villa on a hillside surrounded by olive groves, hot tub with panoramic views, outdoor pizza oven, big terrace with shade and sun all times of the day, and the last three days in a posh hotel overlooking the sea in Naples. I got us rooms with a balcony in prime position, with a view of Vesuvius to our left and the bay of Naples spread out before us and all the way around to the right, and the island of Capri in the distance. Fantastic. Most days were 28 to 29C and sunny.

Man, that sounds nice. I'm jealous.  afro Get any reading done?

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4708 on: August 27, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »

Sounds idyllic holiday, Ed and well deserved. I switch everything off when away from home. Come to think of it - when at home too smiley

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4709 on: August 28, 2015, 04:13:44 AM »

Sounds idyllic holiday, Ed and well deserved. I switch everything off when away from home. Come to think of it - when at home too smiley

It was great, thanks. I used to like that my mobile phone wouldn't work in the house, but it was a double edged sword when it came to having to make important phonecalls standing at the top of the garden (only place I got reception) in the rain with my neighbour's dogs barking at me. I've since switched providers and simply engage 'do not disturb' mode on my phone when I can't bear any more calls.

Spent the first week in a villa on a hillside surrounded by olive groves, hot tub with panoramic views, outdoor pizza oven, big terrace with shade and sun all times of the day, and the last three days in a posh hotel overlooking the sea in Naples. I got us rooms with a balcony in prime position, with a view of Vesuvius to our left and the bay of Naples spread out before us and all the way around to the right, and the island of Capri in the distance. Fantastic. Most days were 28 to 29C and sunny.

Man, that sounds nice. I'm jealous.  afro Get any reading done?

I thoroughly recommend it, Jerry. That's where we're lucky living in the UK -- we've got relatively cheap and easy access to lots of different cultures, lots of very different European countries. Italy is about 3.5 hours away and you can get air fares from as little as £40/$60 per person. Ridiculously cheap really.

I read a couple of books, but felt like I had wasted a valuable opportunity TBH. The first one I read was The Chimp Paradox by Dr Steve Peters, which was boring and repetitive. I bought it because I'd heard it discussed on Radio 4 and it sounded fascinating, but in reality I struggled to make myself trawl through it and wouldn't have bought it in the first place had I realised it was one of those self-help books, which is kinda obvious as soon as you clap eyes on it. Nevertheless I forced myself to get through it, thinking it may be of some use, which took up most of my reading time in the holiday. Found myself reading pages twice because I caught myself zoning out.

Ultimately the guy is a renowned psychiatrist who has come up with a 'groundbreaking' mind model that simplifies the way your brain works into three modes -- the chimp (the animal part of your brain), the human (the logical part) and the computer (automatic responses and memory). So the basic idea is that we all possess this inner chimp that we can't always control (it's 5x stronger than the human) and plays havoc with us, and the book describes ways you can bring it under control. Some of it makes sense, and he has been credited with improving the performance of top athletes, like Sir Chris Hoy, but I wouldn't say it was entirely a new concept. I've often thought we're all barely out of the trees yet, let alone the woods.

The second book, which was like a breath of pure oxygen after the chimp nonsense, was Steinbeck's Of Mice And Men -- I had never read it and yet both my kids had, so I thought I should get on with it. Tiny little book. Got through it in about two days. The foreword was almost longer than the story. What can you say about it -- it's an old fashioned classic.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 313 [314] 315 316 317 318 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx