News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Glad to see a few folks turning up :-)

I know what you mean about publishers folding, Geoff. My western publisher of many years has given up on fiction. That said, I found another - I thought they were simply an easy way of getting something out there, but fair play to them, they've done a good job and have just produced an audio version of my book, too, so I'm actually quite pleased with them. No sales, though...

I've even written a story myself this last week. Really pleased with it, too.

So perhaps the mojo is sneaking quietly back!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

elay2433

Life has been a bit crazy for me as of late. The owner of the company I worked for the last 23 years is preparing to retire. Rather than buy his business, or try to start over elsewhere in the same field, I figured I should try something else. I applied to the local fire department. Figured it'd be an interesting career change that would support my family and possibly provide me with a little extra time to write. And it's something I wanted to do since I was a teenager (but didn't have it in me back then). It's a competitive field, so I didn't really think I had much of a chance. Prepped like hell for the interviews, got my EMT licence, went to work part time for AMR on the ALS side to garner some experience. Two years later, after completing an 18 week academy and ruining my knees, I'm on as a probationary firefighter. Been at it for almost two months now. It's crazy here where I'm stationed. We run an average of 20 calls in a 24 hour period. Lots of fires. Don't sleep much. 48 hours on and 96 hours off. I'm at the busiest station in the city right now, but eventually (once probation is over and if I wind up at a slower house), I think it'll be a good place to get some writing done. Until then, I don't think I'll be able to do much. It's sad to admit this, but I've only completed one short story in the last year. Hoping to change that once I get a handle on this new way of life.

How's everything going for you, Ed?

Good to see some of us are still at the writing game.

Derek, I really enjoyed Dead Man's Eyes. I don't get to read much fiction lately, but I do squeeze in some audiobook listening here and there on bike rides. Do you have a link to the audiobook version of your new novel?

Ed

Quote from: delboy on August 11, 2020, 01:13:10 AM

So perhaps the mojo is sneaking quietly back!

Derek

Ah, it's been a while since I saw a split infinitive and felt the urge to edit -- perhaps it's catching. I really hope your sales pick up. It's a real shame your old publishers called it a day on fiction. Must have been very demoralising at the time.

Geoff -- sorry to hear of your trials with the hernia and isolation. I'm guessing you'll struggle to cycle anywhere for a few weeks after they put it right. Hadn't heard of an inguinal hernia before and, on looking it up, it doesn't look like much fun at all.

Jerry -- that's quite a change you've taken on. Sounds extremely hectic and physically taxing. I can't imagine putting myself through that much stress. Good on you for stepping up and doing it. I hope you do get a quieter station shortly, I'm betting all that you will see through the course of your working week will translate into a lot of writing stimulus.

Quote from: elay2433 on August 11, 2020, 06:53:32 PM
How's everything going for you, Ed?

Can't complain, considering the flip side of what could have been going on if it wasn't picked up when it was. I feel a bit traumatised, I think. Not sure how I'm feeling, TBH. This virus and the effect it's had on the way we all live has complicated matters somewhat. By now I should have had chemo and also had 47 needles shoved into my prostate (template biopsy for a different type of suspected cancer mass), but C19 has given me a reprieve from all that. Probably not great to leave it, from a clinical perspective, although I feel as if I need to regain my full strength before being interfered with any more. Could do with a damn good holiday :coolsmiley:

I'm OK, though. Could be a lot worse. Having the six month scan come back clear was a boon. I'm told if you can go a full year without it popping up somewhere else it's a lot better for long term prognosis. :)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Wow, Jerry, that's some career change. Fair play, to you. We just had a manager at our company decide to give up a well paid and secure position to go and live on a boat and train as a solicitor. I'm always impressed with folks, like yourself, with the courage to make a total change.

I'm glad you liked Dead Man's Eyes. I kind of missing writing those books - well, I'm currently writing one, just miss having the feeling that it will most likely see the light of day! The audio version of the latest is available here:

https://www.amazon.com/The-Blood-Red-Widow/dp/B08FBMW8MP/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=derek+rutherford&qid=1598000529&sr=8-3

Looks like you can sign up for an Audible trial and get it free. I've not got a copy of the audio or the book, I'm afraid.

Good news on my latest story - the one that got me so excited that I split my infinitives! I noticed my old western publisher still sends out a Western newsletter and still updates their webpage and sends out social media updates all about their westerns, and in all these areas they sometimes include a short story. So I sent my story to them saying it might help generate a little interest in my books, which are still on their list, and lo and behold they're going to use it! I immediately panicked, having not written a short story in years, and thought it can't be any good. But a quick reread and I'm okay with it. Would have been good to work it through the crit group here, but c'est la vie. Should be out next month.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

elay2433

Yikes. I had no idea, Ed. Good to hear that the last scan came back clear. I'd say you deserve a holiday, but I imagine going on vacation now isn't quite what it used to be. We always made a point of staying in a quaint little cabin in the hills near Santa Cruz at least once, if not twice each summer. Missed it this year, first due to covid, and then due to the wildfires. Crazy times. Hope you hit that yearlong benchmark without anything showing and continue to do well.

Derek, I was already an Audible member, so I grabbed the kindle version and the audible narration to your new book. Now I just need to find the time to read/listen to it. Congrats on getting the new story sold too. I envy you. I miss writing (and just reading for fun too). Can't wait to get back to it once/if I make it through probation.

delboy

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Managed a holiday at Center Parcs a few weeks ago, thanks Jerry. Had great weather for a change, and covid restrictions didn't impact us very much at all. Really enjoyed it and really needed it.

Del -- good story. Good marketing, too. Are you sure you haven't put it through the crit group before? I thought I remembered it half way through  :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

No, it was a new story, Ed. I was determined to write something complete to see if I still had it in me. Have had some very nice comments on it, some exceptional comments, actually. But I'm not sure it's answered the question...

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Yeah, it's funny how it comes and goes. Back when I had a boring job, I'd think about the story I was working on in the evenings and couldn't wait to get home and write it. Haven't felt like that in a very long time. Quite enjoyed that one or two flashes I did back in the summer, first one especially, but that didn't last long. I don't think I even finished the second one.

Just to warn everybody who's still dropping by now and then -- I'm going to have a go at updating the theme at some point, as the one we use as a default is now out of date and defunct, so if you turn up one day and it looks radically different, that's what it'll be.

Ed

Happy New Year, all. Here's hoping 2021 will be a better year for everybody  :yes:

Russell

Thanks Ed, and the same to you and everyone else.  It was a quiet one for us, although it's normally quiet.  My daughter decided it was best to stay 'up North-ish' (Sheffield) before us southerners were promoted to Tier 4. She has had Covid (quite mild) so I thought she'd be pretty safe as a visitor, however, she had it over 90 days ago and in her part of the NHS at least, that's how long they think your immunity lasts.  Not written anything on 2020 but, as always at this time of year, I kinda hope I can find a reason to write again in 2021.

All the best everyone / anyone who drops by.

Russell

Ed

Hi Russell, nice to see you dropping by. Our new year's celebration consisted of getting merry at home, shouting, "Fuck you, 2020!" loudly, playing Auld Lang Syne at midnight then hitting the sack. It was at least memorable.

My son's live in girlfriend has just gone back to work after having covid, but so far he hasn't got it, despite sleeping in the same bed throughout, etc. My bookkeeper has it and she's really bad, on the verge of being hospitalised last time I knew. It has all been like a big holiday in the south west up until now, so it's coming as quite a shock to a lot of people to actually know people who have it. I think your daughter is right that immunity only lasts three months -- it's my pet theory that that's why the govt have put the vaccine doses twelve weeks apart now. I reckon everybody will have to keep having them every twelve weeks for the foreseeable future.

That's unless one of the varieties mutate again and we're back to square one. The thing is, unless we make sure all the poor countries get vaccines, this will rumble on indefinitely.

Anyhoo, could be worse. Stay safe, everybody  :)

Geoff_N

Here's to a better year.
Good that you guys have survived so far. Me too, see. Amazing really because we moved to a new (old) house to be closer to daughter and her fledglings. The house needed renovations to make it safer and we're too ancient to wait for post-Covid to have it as we want to live. Hence workmen have been in for quotes, measuring and doing. Of course we've been careful with masks, cleaning, washing, social distancing etc but even so. Luckily the cycling I do between reading and writing is a solitary, isolating experience.

Done some writing - mainly the third book in the Flying Crooked scifi series and a few shorts but less than half I used to do.
Bestest

Ed

Hi Geoff, good to see you're still ticking along and getting things done. :)

I had to go out to a breakdown on Saturday at a farm. The manager was right in my face, no mask, trying to get his hands on what I was doing whilst telling me another guy on the farm had just come down with the virus and how he'd been in a farm meeting with him on the Monday. I said to him that he should be isolating. He said, "Oh yes, I am -- my wife won't even let me go into town."  :idiot:

Ed

Got to lose this weight I put on during lockdown. I'm 28 lbs heavier than I was this time last year  :o

Started a 5/2 fasting diet today and hit the gym for the first time since November yesterday morning. Aching a bit today, and so hungry I can't think straight. How's everybody else doing?