gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55951 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 27, 2020, 06:52:07 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?  (Read 19397 times)

Offline sylvrilyn

• Grave Digger
    • Cuke Luna
Re: Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 03:12:06 PM »
Wow, congrats you two on getting it done early.  I tried that once and ran out of story before I got to 50k.  Whoops.   :grin:

Thanks for the good luck wishes.  I'm still working...   :P  The first one's pretty much on track, but I've got way more to go on the unplanned one.  I still haven't decided if trying to do two was smart.  I feel like I do nothing but write all day every day (when I'm not at work that is!).  But at the same time, I'm kind of glad I didn't make either story wait.  They were both ripe to be told and I'm still planning to finish both.   ;D

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »
I hadn't realised you were doing two, Silvirin.  :shocked: That'll teach me to scan read.  ::)

Blimey! That's a tall order, but well done on sticking to it. :afro:

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
Wow, yeah, likewise - I didn't realise you were doing two  :shocked: That's a hell of a challenge.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline PaulH

• Mortician
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 04:39:30 PM »
I don't think I could do two if I was schizophrenic!

Could I?

No, I couldn't.

See - I told me so.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 05:24:49 PM »
Hell, I'm struggling to write a short story for the flash challenge each week  :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline sylvrilyn

• Grave Digger
    • Cuke Luna
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 10:49:11 PM »
Sometimes I think it's actually easier to stick to long projects than to manage to write short after short.  But I've been known to think the opposite, so who knows.   :cheesy:

I fell into doing two because I couldn't decide and I saw a thread on the NaNo site where people were talking about doing SIX.   :shocked:  Yikes.

I've spent another day making a ton of avatars I'll probably never use instead of working on NaNo #2, so I can't say I've been entirely good about keeping up....  Ah, well, maybe I'll catch up one of these few days left in November.

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 03:03:49 AM »
Six!  :shocked: That's 300,000 words. In a month! Talk about giving yourself a lot to do. I take it they don't work, do housework, go to the loo, eat, sleep...

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Ooh look, my new website!
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 03:43:00 AM »
I am astoundingly impressed by you people who have managed just (just?) one! The most I've ever managed in one book was just over 35000, and that took eighteen months  :'(

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 04:42:14 AM »
I am astoundingly impressed by you people who have managed just (just?) one! The most I've ever managed in one book was just over 35000, and that took eighteen months  :'(

I'm impressed, too, having never done NANO myself. Maybe you should try a few different ways of starting you next novel, Jon - see which way works best for you. Why did the last one end short? I remember reading something about writer's block, ages ago, and the writer said something along the lines of, "Perhaps you're not blocked - you've just finished - ran out of stuff to say kind of thing?" I suppose that's one of the drawbacks of an unplanned novel, isn't it? :scratch:

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 04:47:19 AM »
It's generally a confidence thing. How can I justify to myself / my loved ones the amount of time that I'm spending on this thing? The other problem is deciding which project to work on. Writers' block ain't a problem - I'm never short of ideas. But I can never quite commit myself to just one thing.

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 07:26:46 AM »
With every novel I've ever tried writing, including NaNo novels, I've hit a patch where I think 'this is crap, no one will want to read it and I haven't got a clue how I'm going to finish it'.  I got over it with one novel by trying to plough on to 80k words even though I thought it was all rubbish. I told myself it didn't have to go anywhere but my hard drive. All that mattered was that I didn't give up on it like I had with so many others.

When I edited it, I realised it wasn't that awful and that the bits that were awful could be rewritten. It's now entered into the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award.

One thing NaNo does is stops you worrying about whether the novel is any good. It's quantity not quality that counts, so you've got a free reign to batter the internal editor over the head with a soggy stick.

Some writer on the beeb this morning was moaning about NaNoWriMo, because she was afraid the slush pile would grow, completely missing the point that none of us think we've written a viable novel, and that at best it's a first draft. Then on the BBC Breakfast programme showed schoolkids in their school library all writing their NaNo novels together, and adults sat in cafes writing theirs together, and I thought 'What exactly is bad about that?'

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 10:35:16 AM »
That strikes me as precisely what NaNoWriMo's all about, and I'm sure that's how everyone involved sees it. In some ways I wish I'd had the courage to do it, but November always tends to be a busy month for me work-wise and I didn't feel sufficiently organised to have a go (oh, all right, I'm making excuses, I know, I know). Also, there's a new internal competition at our Circle for the first 3000 words of a novel, and I fancy having a bash at that instead. Haven't written a word yet, of course, but there's still a couple of weeks to go. Should be a breeze, eh?

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »
It's generally a confidence thing. How can I justify to myself / my loved ones the amount of time that I'm spending on this thing? The other problem is deciding which project to work on. Writers' block ain't a problem - I'm never short of ideas. But I can never quite commit myself to just one thing.

You shouldn't have to justify your free time to anybody, really. If it's something you want/need to do, then you should make time for it and ask for your loved ones' understanding. I say that, but my family don't respect my wishes and leave me alone to write when I ask them to.

I've always been a bit short of committment (generally - I spread myself too thin and then something has to be sacrificed), but I'm getting better as I get older. A few times now, my wife has said to me that she was surprised that I had stuck to things and finished them. I don't know whether it's that I've grown in determination, or whether I'm more discerning about which projects I take on and commit to in the first place. Maybe it's both.

My biggest problem with writing seems to be finding the quiet time to write, at a time of day when I'm not tired and sleepy.

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 03:26:39 AM »
I think I'm pretty lucky in that Hubby has his gun club commitments, which take him out quite a lot in the week, leaving me free to do the writing I want. It was much harder when the kids lived at home to find a space to both write and study (I was doing my degree at the time). I eventually learned that if you sit scribbling or typing in the corner of the room they hardly notice you whilst they're watching telly etc. If you try to go to another room to write, they immediately want to see what you're doing.

One day, whilst writing an essay I went upstairs to the bedroom where we had the computer. Everyone else was busy doing something else. I made sure of that. Five minutes later Hubby turned up and lay down on the bed, immediately starting to snore. Then daughter came along to see what daddy and mummy were doing, and she clambered onto the bed with him, waking him up to have a loud conversation which for some reason needed my input. Not long after that, Son arrived to join in the conversation and as if to add insult to my injury, the dog arrived and jumped on the bed too. :hot: I acceded defeat, switched the computer off and waited till they were all out.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 04:24:04 AM »
Trouble is, it gets to the stage where you're so bubbling with rage that by the time they get the message and leave you alone, you're too irked to write anything. Dunno about everybody else, but I write at my best when I immerse myself in what I'm writing and enter an almost dreamlike state. That very rarely happens these days. I think I might start building a sound proof room with its own electrical supply, oxygen and tea. That'll foil them :huh:

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx