gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55951 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 27, 2020, 06:07:48 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?  (Read 19390 times)

Offline PaulH

• Mortician
Re: Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 06:08:52 AM »
I tell them I'm writing. My wife doesn't bother me. My kids (5 & 4) ask if I'm writing when they get to the door. If the answer is yes, they leave me alone. I often sit up 'til 2 or 3 in the morning to get writing done. I think the major thing is, they know I'm serious about it, it's not a wee hobby, so they treat it as work.

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 06:32:19 AM »
Yes, I enter a zone too, Ed. I am in the story, not just writing it. And if I'm writing something emotional I can even shed tears, so I don't like doing that when others are around.

I think my family are coming to realise now that this isn't just a hobby. Getting published helps with that, as they can see the results.

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Ooh look, my new website!
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 06:34:21 AM »
In some ways, my family aren't really the problem. The kids are both at Uni now anyway, but when they were around, they were always keen to read what I'd written (in fact, it was having a ready audience there that gave me the excuse to get started). My wife finds it a little peculiar, but after having dragged her along to an award ceremony earlier this year when I actually won something, even she's beginning to understand what I'm up to (although I have a feeling that she still dreads the words "Can you have a look at this?", bless her).

But it's me that's really the problem. I run my own business, with no restrictions on working hours, and I still have some sort of work ethic thing going on that says that I really should be doing something with that rather than arsing around pretending to be a writer. Having said that, the worst period of my life, bar none, was when I actually got commissioned to write something relating to my work. Six months of hell writing a book on software development.

Offline starktheground

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 09:34:17 AM »
Truth be told, I bribe my five-year-old when I need to write. It's easier now that he's in school, because I have a few hours of uninterrupted solitude before I go to work. If I need to complete something in the evening, though, I make a "deal" with my son. If he lets me write, I promise him I'll play with him when I'm done. (Hey, I'd play with him anyway, but he doesn't have to know that!) The only problem is that he's hyperactive, so he has to remain in the same room with me when I write. Otherwise, I'd become too involved in my writing to notice that he's tearing the house apart. Recently, I became so enthralled in my work that I didn't notice that he had left the room. When I realized my error, I found him in our den, pouring Dr. Pepper (which he's not allowed to have) into a puddle on the carpet and dipping his hair in it! You should have seen his face when I caught him!

Offline sylvrilyn

• Grave Digger
    • Cuke Luna
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2007, 11:52:31 AM »
Six!  :shocked: That's 300,000 words. In a month! Talk about giving yourself a lot to do. I take it they don't work, do housework, go to the loo, eat, sleep...

Yeah.  It sounds utterly crazy to me, too.  I wonder how many of them actually finish 6?

In some ways I wish I'd had the courage to do it, but November always tends to be a busy month for me work-wise and I didn't feel sufficiently organised to have a go (oh, all right, I'm making excuses, I know, I know).

*Swoops in to snatch the excuses away!*   :evil:

There are other ones in other months...   ;D  The one I'm most familiar with is JulNoWriMo in July.  It's much smaller of course, but a better time of year for lots of people.

I found him in our den, pouring Dr. Pepper (which he's not allowed to have) into a puddle on the carpet and dipping his hair in it! You should have seen his face when I caught him!

That sounds like something to go into a story sometime!

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Ooh look, my new website!
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 12:13:58 PM »

Offline starktheground

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »

That sounds like something to go into a story sometime!

Yeah, my son is QUITE the character! He's great, though!

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 04:11:45 AM »
My eldest goes loopy if you let him drink Coca Cola - we only let him drink it when he's somebody else's problem. Like one time he went for a canoing lesson, and from the edge of the lake you could hear him jibbering like a loon, sploshing around in circles at a thousand miles an hour, while all the other kids sat in an orderly line trying to listen to the instructor. In the end, the instructor resorted to flicking water at him with his paddle to make him shut up, which my nipper thought was great, so he started flicking water back with his paddle, and the whole thing turned into a giant water fight :idiot: Anybody would think they still put cocaine in it.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline sylvrilyn

• Grave Digger
    • Cuke Luna
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 08:11:32 PM »
JulNoWriMo

Thanks for that - I'll bookmark that one.

And if you're looking for something slower-paced where you can choose your own goal, there's National Novel Writing Year.  We're starting to gear up for 2008 right now.  :)

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx