gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 28, 2020, 03:00:45 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bridport Results  (Read 5824 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: November 19, 2007, 01:59:41 PM »

I put a self addressed envelope in the post with my Bridport entry, so I would get the results sent through directly. Got them through today, and I see Vanessa Gebbie won second place afro That's one hell of an achievement, if you ask me, especially when you think of all the thousands of entries they get each year.

Funny to think she came second in the CafeDoom comp a couple of years ago, too - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/topic,698.0.html  Not quite the same, is it? scratch

Well done Vanessa afro And don't let Alex Keegan take all the credit. I bet he's bragging about it already rolleyes "Ex Bootcamper, Vanessa Gebbie, blah, blah, vomit, etc."

Hey, maybe I should do it, too - "Current Cafedoom member, Vanessa Gebbie, etc. Yes, taught her everything she knows, you know azn "

grin

All joking aside - very well done. You, alone, deserve it, for all the hard work and the heartache along the way. I wish I could do half as well.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
neilmarr
Coffin Maker

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 02:00:41 AM »

A superb placing Vanessa. Huge congratulations. Neil
Sallyq
Mortician

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »

And don't let Alex  Keegan take all the credit

He already posted about it on his boot camp diaries blog a couple of months ago. You'll have to be quicker next time, Ed Wink

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 01:22:20 PM »

Urgh rolleyes I hope I never reach the stage where I have to live vicariously through the achievements of former acquaintances undecided

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Sallyq
Mortician

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »

I wish I was in a position where you could live vicariously through me, Ed Cheesy

vanessa
Stiff

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 02:02:27 PM »

Hello Ed and all

Thought I'd call in and see how the Doomers are doing... Thanks for the kind words above... I am still expecting them to call me up and say 'Actually, it's all been a huge mistake."

I collect second prizes... this one canm go on the mantelpiece next to the Cafe Doom second a coupla years back.

Hope your writing is going well... good to see this place still zipping!

best

vanessa

(and because I LOVE these emoticons... dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 06:07:53 PM »

Nice to see you dropping in, Vanessa. I don't think there's any difference between first, second and third place in a comp like The Bridport - apparently it can be as little as a single word that makes or breaks the stories in the top fifty, so just getting into the top three is every bit as good as coming first, IMO.

My writing is still languishing in obscurity, where it belongs, but thanks for asking grin

vanessa
Stiff

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:59:24 AM »

hiding

Hi Ed, it was great to sit with the main shortlisting judge at the lunch, and natter to him about the process.

And it was even greater to find out that for him and his team, the main criteria is waiting to read a story (among the 600-700 they all plough through!) that makes them 'forget they are reading for a competition'.

In all  this learning to write decent short stories, in whatever genre we choose, we mustn't lose sight of the fact that in the end, we are 'telling stories', and need to make 'em entertaining, otherwise, why bother!

I am reviewing 'Phobic', a fantastic new collection of horror from a UK small press, and it's terrific. My own horror writing, not that I do much,  is just that... horrific. Horifically bad! I just can't do it. Its a real skill, scaring people.  All power to your team!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx