News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Puter Doodles

Started by Porphyry, January 06, 2008, 07:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porphyry

Some things I did for my old ezine, Blood, Old Lipstick & Black Magick...

Peace,
Po

delph_ambi

I like the b&w mirrored image. Very atmospheric, and nicely unsettling.

Ed

Yep - did you lower the layer opacity to get the ceiling onto the floor? You can get some pretty weird effects by layering photos and burning through the top layer with either the history brush, the healing tool, or the eraser.  :afro:

Which graphics prog are you using, Po?
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Porphyry

I was using a program that came with my printer actually, and yeah that was for a story that was in the zine. I had gads of these things. We ran for about six issues before I shut 'er down, and still didn't have any volunteer artists, so me and others working w/me on the zine just kept doing them.

I used to have a cartoon strip that I was doing for Skyline Magazine (also defunct, but this time it wasn't mine, nor my fault. *smirks*) that I actually drew (of course), but Punker Poppa only last for about a year. I had fun doing it anyways.

Peace,
Po

Ed

That's a pretty good result using a free prog. Similar to you, I started doing gfx out of needing stuff and not having anybody else to do it for me. I started out using Photoshop to make a sig for myself, and then made several for other people - mostly just simple photo manips with a bit of text and a few brush effects. Great fun to do. Then somebody showed me how to use the website facility in Photoshop, combined with editing in Dreamweaver to produce PSD based websites.

I made a couple of sites for myself, then a few for other people, tinkered with code and rollovers, etc., then CafeDoom was born - and I still don't have anybody else to do gfx for me :grin:

How long did you run the zine for, and why did you fold it up? Too much work, I expect. That's what most people say about running a zine. I thought about it a couple of times, but I don't have the editorial skills, or the time and (when I dig really deep) I don't really think I have the inclination  :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Porphyry

A time factor mostly (the day job thing)  It went for about a year and half, and it was growing (mostly, I suspect on the account of quality subs and word of mouth.) It was a fun thing to do really, but no longer really had the time or energy to put into it.  And going at it half-ass wasn't an option.

This was one of the strips that I ran in Skyline. You can't really read it (and an artist I am not), but I wouldn't have minded if I kept doing this. Excuse the sizing, as I am not really sure about tinkering with it here.

Punker Poppa: Strip #4

Peace,
Po

Ed

I know what you mean - that sort of thing requires your full attention, otherwise it isn't worth doing. Good luck with it in the future. By the way you're talking, I reckon it won't be too long before you start another mag, or revive an old one :smiley:

Porphyry

I can't foresee that happening anytime soon Ed. I am a medic in the US army (currently in Baghdad) and I am hoping to get into psychiatric nursing program. (Formerly in mental health/social work program at college, plus I worked in the field for a goodly number of years) I should only have a few more years in school, and then jump into the nursing program here (hopefully). The time constraint thing likely to get worse before it gets better.

Sorry about the toon thing, I wasn't even going to try to mess w/html here.

Thanks for looking at these though. I think we left an old, old issue of BOLBM up if you are interested in checking it out, but don't sweat it if you're not. It is like one of the first issues, before we switched over to a better domain host.

Thanks again Ed.

Peace,
Po/Allyn

Ed

I can't imagine being a medic there is or ever has been a bundle of laughs. Good luck getting into psychiatric nursing program - I can imagine it's still going to be hard going, but rewarding work.

I'll see if I can find the issue of BOLBM, if it's still there :afro: