gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 08:24:38 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you like to listen to?  (Read 40433 times)
marc_chagall
« Reply #180 on: October 04, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »

It's not just guitarists who play around with tunings. Back in the seventeenth century, an Austrian composer called Biber was doing the same with violin music. I have a whole book of his stuff that requires different tunings in order to make chords possible that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise. Surprisingly hard to get your head around since virtually no music since for the violin has mucked around with the tunings. Anyway. Enough of violins. Here's a viola (played by me). No video, as I don't have a video camera.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »

Lovely! I do like a bit of the bigger violins. The sound effects made me think of the CDs for sale in my local new age shop. Was that the intention?

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
marc_chagall
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2011, 02:53:41 PM »

Thanks Del.

I did the original viola recording, an internet friend said could he add some stuff, I said, yes, fine - sent him the file, he added the electronic stuff, and sent it back. That was four or five years ago. He did tell me how he'd done the sound effects, but I've completely forgotten, and I don't have a current email address for him so have no way of contacting him (hence not crediting his full name, as I can't ask him for permission). So as to whether we were going for a new agey type of effect, I really couldn't say  scratch - but yes, I know what you mean.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »

Lovely and melancholy!
marc_chagall
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2011, 02:44:35 AM »

Thanks Pharo  smiley
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »

Not sure how many of you will like this, but David Lynch's Crazy Clown Time is one of the most interesting albums I've heard in a long time. The more I hear it the more I love it.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2012, 02:47:45 AM »

That Lynch guy must have shares in acid afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2012, 06:00:51 AM »

I LOVE David Lynch's music! 'The Pink Room' is one of my favourite songs of all time. I've always said, if I could only ever use one guitar sound for the rest of my life, it's be Lynch's haha

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »

I've dropped a couple of new videos on You Tube recently. Pretty embarrasing facial expressions, but there's a well known condition that links guitar players fingers with the muscles in the face, so whenever we bend a note part of the face contorts, grimaces, or worse.

Here's one of them:

Kind regards,
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2012, 10:41:04 AM »

It's true! My brother does the same thing! We always called it his "rock star" face; didn't realize what it was though!  grin I guess it's a small price to pay for musical talent.

I think I would've liked the Lynch video better when I was younger. I still like the strange stuff, but not so much "trippy."
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »

Nice Del. Don't worry about the guitar face. It's a common affliction, and yours is a lot less noticeable than most. My wife wants to put a photo book together of the best guitar faces we've seen at shows, but she can never remember her camera.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

I'm revisiting Earth's back catalogue. They started as a drone project, but then turned into this beautiful 'dark country' type band:

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »

I decided to plug in the distortion box and rock out for my latest You Tube extravaganza:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:23:47 AM by delboy » Logged

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »

Cool afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »

Nice one, Del! That reminded me a bit of Joe Satriani.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx