News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

What do you like to listen to?

Started by Ed, November 26, 2007, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

canadian

Oh yeah! That's a fabulous tune from Jose Gonzalez. Not a bad TV commercial, either!
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Porphyry

Okay, some of your all's lists have left me curious (as in never heard of 'em, but not beyond a listen sort of thing) Kind of weird stretch for me as of late in musical tastes (in as I mostly tend to share your opinions on country music for the most part), but I have been listening to a lot of Townes Van Zant & Bruce Springsteen as of late.

Could give a pretty good scatter on some of the my other faves (Eagles, Ray Charles, Rush, Jethro Tull, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Paul Simon, Soundgarden, STP, Professor Longhair, Don White, The Ramones-- okie, I'll hush, you get the picture); that's all just sort of my two cents in.

Peace,
Po

Ed

I like a bit of Paul Simon, too. The only thing that bugs me about him is his lyrics - quite a few of the songs feature words that you think, "well hang on, that makes no sense - I bet he just chose that word because it rhymes." I downloaded his 'Surprise' album the other day, and there are a couple of songs on that album that are great, but a few that leave you scratching your head with the lyrics. :scratch: Probably his best is Gracelend, but there again, he has a few songs that make no sense :huh:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

chaobell

I will listen to just about anything except country or rap, and even bits of those are okay as long as they don't take themselves too seriously.

I love Rush and Pink Floyd dearly, but not when writing--things with vocals mess me up. For writin' tunes, I have a whole pile of $1.99 "sounds of nature" CDs, soundtracks and ambient background noise from various survival horror games (mostly the Silent Hill series), and stuff like Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin and so on.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin

PaulH

OMG!!! Two other people who like Rush. I never thought I'd find two other people who've heard of them, let alone like them. It's like Christmas all over again  :santa_grin:

Ed

I liked Window Licker by Aphex Twin, but I don't think I've ever heard of anything else by them :scratch:

JonP

Quote from: Ed on December 27, 2007, 06:14:45 PM
them

Er ... him?

Re the comments on Paul Simon earlier, one of my pressies this year (after dropping a few hints) was the box set of all the S&G albums (in nice individual imitation LP covers), and I hadn't realised how many of their tracks I didn't know. Their Greatest Hits was one of my first ever LP purchases (although I hate Greatest Hits packages these days), and I played it to death. But it's great to hear all the oldies in their original context, along with a whole bunch of other stuff that's completely new to me.

Ed

They are a him, is he? I wasn't aware of that - next you'll be telling me the Chemical Brothers is an only child :scratch: :grin:

I downloaded a lot of old S&G songs and sat listening to them, surprised by how many of them I knew once I heard them. :smiley:

Ed

Hard to believe this is just one guy playing an electric accoustic guitar and singing. I loved the original Massive Attack version, but Newton Faulkner just puts so much soul into it, this is one of the few cover versions I actually prefer to the original. Enjoy :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/v/QGLmu4x28VE&rel=1

canadian

Have a listen to this guy ... Scott Deneau ... friend of mine from Guelph, ON. He's got a few CDs out and I never tire of listening to them.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=108792215

Start with "Barcelona". It rocks ... in a bluesy, folksy kinda way.  :cool:
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Ed

I like it :afro: Amazing just how many people there are out there making good music and not profiting as they should from it - mostly because the 'big music' recording industry appears to have their collective head up their collective arse ::)

canadian

Yeah. I hear ya. Scott could be a BIG star but he's not wired that way. Teaches elementary school kids for a living, has a lovely little family and creates his magic music late at night when everybody's asleep. He nearly died in a car accident about ten years ago. Has a framed, rather small piece, of his old guitar (that was just about all that remained after the crash) hanging on a wall in his house. Took him years before he could play again.

Here's another Canadian singer to check out: Eric Lapointe.

http://www.youtube.com/v/kyjdGtX1TbE&rel

gueule = an appetizer; morsel eaten before a meal

You can find out more about him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ric_Lapointe_(singer)

aexombie

At the moment I'm listening to vh1.com's -- Vh1 Soul radio.

When I'm writing, I'll switch over to VH1's -- Dark shadows radio...OooOo, or well, there's plenty to choose from.

Ed

Quote from: canadian on January 13, 2008, 10:19:32 PM
Yeah. I hear ya. Scott could be a BIG star but he's not wired that way. Teaches elementary school kids for a living, has a lovely little family and creates his magic music late at night when everybody's asleep. He nearly died in a car accident about ten years ago. Has a framed, rather small piece, of his old guitar (that was just about all that remained after the crash) hanging on a wall in his house. Took him years before he could play again.

That kind of thing can really put your life in perspective. Glad to see he's made such a good recovery.

QuoteHere's another Canadian singer to check out: Eric Lapointe.

http://www.youtube.com/v/kyjdGtX1TbE&rel

gueule = an appetizer; morsel eaten before a meal

You can find out more about him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ric_Lapointe_(singer)

Don't like that one, TBH. Can't understand a word he's saying... well, one or two, but no more :grin: