News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

What do you like to listen to?

Started by Ed, November 26, 2007, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_chagall

It's not just guitarists who play around with tunings. Back in the seventeenth century, an Austrian composer called Biber was doing the same with violin music. I have a whole book of his stuff that requires different tunings in order to make chords possible that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise. Surprisingly hard to get your head around since virtually no music since for the violin has mucked around with the tunings. Anyway. Enough of violins. Here's a viola (played by me). No video, as I don't have a video camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9ApTzXexU

delboy

Lovely! I do like a bit of the bigger violins. The sound effects made me think of the CDs for sale in my local new age shop. Was that the intention?

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Thanks Del.

I did the original viola recording, an internet friend said could he add some stuff, I said, yes, fine - sent him the file, he added the electronic stuff, and sent it back. That was four or five years ago. He did tell me how he'd done the sound effects, but I've completely forgotten, and I don't have a current email address for him so have no way of contacting him (hence not crediting his full name, as I can't ask him for permission). So as to whether we were going for a new agey type of effect, I really couldn't say  :scratch: - but yes, I know what you mean.

Pharosian

marc_chagall

fnord33

Not sure how many of you will like this, but David Lynch's Crazy Clown Time is one of the most interesting albums I've heard in a long time. The more I hear it the more I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QJpY2VNP0E&feature=colike
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Ed

That Lynch guy must have shares in acid :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

I LOVE David Lynch's music! 'The Pink Room' is one of my favourite songs of all time. I've always said, if I could only ever use one guitar sound for the rest of my life, it's be Lynch's haha
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

I've dropped a couple of new videos on You Tube recently. Pretty embarrasing facial expressions, but there's a well known condition that links guitar players fingers with the muscles in the face, so whenever we bend a note part of the face contorts, grimaces, or worse.

Here's one of them:

http://youtu.be/ybczI3KWfcA

Kind regards,
Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

starktheground

It's true! My brother does the same thing! We always called it his "rock star" face; didn't realize what it was though!  :grin: I guess it's a small price to pay for musical talent.

I think I would've liked the Lynch video better when I was younger. I still like the strange stuff, but not so much "trippy."

fnord33

Nice Del. Don't worry about the guitar face. It's a common affliction, and yours is a lot less noticeable than most. My wife wants to put a photo book together of the best guitar faces we've seen at shows, but she can never remember her camera.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Rev. Austin

I'm revisiting Earth's back catalogue. They started as a drone project, but then turned into this beautiful 'dark country' type band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFSpuOgH8xQ&feature=related
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

I decided to plug in the distortion box and rock out for my latest You Tube extravaganza:

http://youtu.be/lIPhTDTapfE

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Pharosian

Nice one, Del! That reminded me a bit of Joe Satriani.