gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 18, 2017, 01:33:57 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terry Pratchett has alzheimer's  (Read 5006 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« on: December 12, 2007, 04:42:10 PM »

Copied from today’s BBC news

Author Terry Pratchett is suffering from a rare form of early Alzheimer's disease.

He said in a statement that with forthcoming conventions and the need to inform his publishers it would have been "unfair to withhold the news".

Discworld author Pratchett has sold more than 55 million books worldwide.
The writer, 59, who gave the news on the website of Discworld artist Paul Kidby, said the condition was behind a "phantom stroke" earlier this year.

'Mild optimism'

He said: "I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news.
"I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's 'phantom stroke'."
He added: "We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism.
The author said work was continuing on his latest book, Unseen Academicals.

'More books'

"All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers," he said.
"Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet."
He told fans the statement should be interpreted as "I am not dead".
"I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else," he said.
"For me, this may be further off than you think. It's too soon to tell.
"I know it's a very human thing to say 'is there anything I can do', but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry."
------------
It’s so typical of him to be so positive and optimistic. A lesson to us all.

Geoff

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »

Damn, that's sad. I hope the experts can do something for him huh

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:28:47 PM »

santa_cry
JonP
Critter

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 06:40:16 PM »

It is really sad. I'm something of a Pratchett completist, and I thought his last few have been up with his best, after a bit of a fallow period. That comment about only entertaining offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry is so typical of his humour.

PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 06:00:28 PM »

Sad news, but the man's humour and optimism shines through.
Lord_of_the_Dense
Coffin Maker

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 07:47:10 PM »

This really stinks.

Soul, Peace & Chicken Grease!

BeatKing.com :: Music News, Forums, and Lyrics

"THIS MEMBER IS CYBERWASTE INTOLERANT"
MistyJRose
Grave Digger

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 10:00:35 PM »

there are drugs out there that slows Alzheimer's progression, but dont stop the disease. unfortunately as of yet there is no cure. My grandmother died from this. but like i said there are drugs that can slow the progession of this down and he may be able to write for years to come. It is sad though as he is still  young by todays living standards. and i'll keep him in my prayers.

Thanks Misty J
tdaene
Stiff

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »

I've only just started from the beginning and am still reading through the Discworld novels.  I am enjoying them immensely and am very sad to hear that one who brought so much joy and optimism to so many people is going through this.  I am happy though that this is his frame of mind.  It shows a desire to put to practice that which he taught and with that attitude, everything will work out one way or the other.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx