gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 27, 2020, 08:52:08 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Ask the Professionals
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ask the Professionals  (Read 18714 times)

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
Re: Ask the Professionals
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 04:40:25 AM »
Further to your question, Del - one evening was all about the business side of writing, so I asked your question. The unanimous answer was to submit your stories only to the high end markets, decent anthologies and paper magazines, and that was the bottom line in all things. Their firm advice was not to sub to online zines, not to take your novel to the micro presses, always aim high and just keep plugging away at it until you get a hit. Editors will begin to recognise your name through repeated submissions, and this is the best type of 'getting your name out there', apparently.

Thanks, Ed. It's kind of the conclusion I came to myself  (without realising that nugget about editors starting to recognize one's name). With one or two exceptions I've always tried to submit to paper magazines as opposed to ezines. I think it's this, along with the need to be 100% happy with a piece before sending it to, say Azimovs or CD, that restricts my submission count (plus I'm a lazy b@#}**d!). But it's nice to hear it from the horse's mouth, as it were.

I think I can feel a strategy coming on...

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
Re: Ask the Professionals
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »
That's brilliant advice, Ed. Thanks for sharing it. I decided only to sub to print and/or paying publications over a year ago, and whilst I spent a bit of time in the wilderness, it is starting to pay off. But that's interesting about good anthologies too, as I've subbed to a few small press anthologies (without a great amount of luck I have to say). Time to up my game too, I reckon!

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Ask the Professionals

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx