News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Google Crap-sense

Started by Ed, June 21, 2008, 07:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I've just been told that I must change my log in details to remain with Google Adsense, so I duly went ahead and did it, then out of curiosity, because I've now been running Google Ads on this site for over two years, I decided to see what my total earnings are.

:cheers: Woot!

In the period between 22 April 2006 - 21 June 2008 (that's 25 months of non-stop advertising 24/7) I've earned a grand total of $12.33 (about six quid). Woo-hoo! :dance: I think I might book a holiday to Ourgate (the one at the bottom of our feckin garden ::) ).
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Sallyq

Blimey, Ed, what's your secret? That's about £5 more than I've earned as an Amazon associate over the past three years.  :/

Ed

:azn: Mmmmahh... now that would be telling, now wouldn't it, m'dear? Can't give away my secrets as easily as all that, or you'd all be millionaires and I wouldn't be nearly as special and refined in comparison as wot I is at the moment. Innit. :huh:

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SharonBell

So, you  can get two cups of coffee at Starbucks, or buy a copy of Geoff's book, or 6 copies of my short story. Good golly, you've got a gold mine there, Ed!  ;)
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

rsmccoy

It warms my heart to see a writer market a story so agressivley :dance:

The three hats of writing (writing, editing and marketing) are often out of balance, but you nailed Ed there, good job.
It's better to burn out, than fade away...

Ed

Heh - notice how, since my little rant, there have only been public service announcements (ones you don't get paid for) running on the Google cell? :grin: They'rrrrrrrre watching :fugly:

Geoff_N

I'm trying something similar - well, the opposite ;) I'm paying for per click adverts for my Exit, Pursued by a Bee on Facebook. It's targetted at over 18 year olds who've declaired an interest in science fiction. I doubt I'll get my money back but hey ho. My ad has appeared 14, 000 times since Aug 1 and 21 people have clicked on it. In advertising they tell us folk have to see somethiing they are interested in 7 times to notice it enough to take action. I don't know if any of those 21 clickers bought the book, until royalty stats arrive in January. Having said that, Amazon.com ranking has gone up for it so some wise person bought it!

Geoff

caseyquinn

hey i had a site before that i tried google adsense and had the same luck... people these days are smart and can sniff out marketing right away and avoid it. so hard really to get that type of income. I might suggest looking for a different advertiser that pays Per impressions - this is the number of times the ad is showed vs clicked... you get paid less per impression obviously but in the long run you will get paid more ....
Casey Quinn
Editor - Short Story Library
http://shortstory.us.com

Want to be paid and get published? Check out:
http://www.readme.us.com

Ed

Good advice, thanks for the tip, Casey :afro: