gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 10:16:04 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fred (for want of a better name)  (Read 7145 times)
delph_ambi
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:44:45 AM »

delph_ambi
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:14:42 PM »

Fred is being incorporated into an oil painting. Will post a photo of the painting when finished, if it works...
bintarab
Mortician

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:54:59 PM »

Sorry, delph, but Fred kinda give me the creeps. Is he supposed to?

~bint

P.S. What color is his skin? Seems like it'd be even creepier if he had human-colored skin as opposed to green or something non-human.
delph_ambi
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »

Bint... this is cafe doom. Of course he's supposed to give you the creeps. His real colour currently is white, as he's made of clay and has faded from grey to white as he's dried out. Not sure what colour he'll be after he's been fired. He might get glazed later, which could alter things again. In the pencil sketch reproduced here, he's colourless. In the oil painting, he's blue at the moment, but that might change when I have another 'go' at him tomorrow. He represents the aging process of ancient buildings. Long story. Might write it some time, but some things are easier to represent in art than words. He is also going to gain a crack, inspired by Doris Salcerdos' "Shibboleth" and will also represent the lost hopes of Bess of Hardwick. As I said... long story. huh
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

I thought I had commented on this before - sorry Delph. I remember why now. The first time I saw it, I couldn't make it out. Couldn't see his features for sure - mouth, eyes, nose. I thought maybe the next time I looked at it, I'd get a better idea about what I was looking at, but I forgot to look back.

Looking at it again, now, I still can't make out the features from what might be a horn in the background? I'm no artist, so I don't know how you would go about fixing that. With comicbook art, they put heavy black lines around the foreground features, to separate them from the stuff behind and define them. That probably doesn't apply with pencil sketches, though. If this is just a pre painting sketch, then it doesn't matter anyway. I only know that bit about the comic drawings because one of the people at the Borderlands Boot Camp was an 'inker'. He didn't look South American in origin, so I asked about it.

I'd really like to see the finished painted version smiley

PS: Sounds like an interesting story behind the figure. Be sure to let us know if you write it afro
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:55:34 PM by Ed » Logged

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 03:37:54 AM »

Ed, you are unique in not being able to see the features. I'm not sure why that's happened. No matter. I don't know if this helps - several people have commented that he looks like Maggie Thatcher. If you can bear it, put that horrific thought in your mind, and then take another look. Shocked
delph_ambi
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »

Well, Fred got fired and in the process lost his tongue and one hand. They are both probably lurking in the bottom of the kiln. The oil-painting version wasn't a great success, so I'm not posting it, but here's the little guy himself in all his glory. Still looks like Thatcher. Weird, that.

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 01:11:24 AM »

Yep, a creepy little critter!

Isn't 'Fred' the guy that visits all little boys and girls at Christmas who HAVEN'T been good during the year?

Maybe I should show my three little'uns Fred!

Muhahahahahaha!

DW santa_cheesy

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 06:19:21 AM »

I think this is my favourite piece out of the images you've posted on here, delph (not that I don't like the other pieces  smiley ).  I think it looks like his brain's grown fingers and they're trying to force their way out of his head.  He also looks like he's made of either stained glass or a mosaic, which I like; as if he's fought his way out of a different material to gain his life.

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delph_ambi
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »

Thanks Rev  afro

That's a great analysis/appreciation.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 02:38:42 PM »

My pleasure  Wink