Screenplay and Teleplay Comp due 1-Jun-08

Started by bintarab, March 16, 2008, 03:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bintarab

Anyone here write for film or TV? This competition has two categories: Adult/FamilyCategory (Historical, Western, Drama, Family, Romance, Horror, Thriller, etc.) and/or Comedy Category (Dark, Satirical, Slapstick, and more). But you can also tag any entry into either of those categories for the Sci-Fi Award (fantasy, horror, science fiction, surrealism, myth/legend and fantastical storytelling). It's a very involved kind of comp: you must keep the film/teleplay's budget under $10,000,000 -- that figure alone tells me that there's some serious scriptwriting going on here. The Austin Film Society is wholly legit, and this competition is a tremendously prestigious one.

2008 SCREENPLAY AND TELEPLAY COMPETITIONS

This year's Screenplay Competition has two primary categories: Adult/FamilyCategory (Historical, Western, Drama, Family, Romance, Horror, Thriller, etc.) and/or Comedy Category (Dark, Satirical, Slapstick, and more).

Returning this year, entrants have the opportunity to have their script considered for the sponsored award and the Sci-Fi Award (fantasy, horror, science fiction, surrealism, myth/legend and fantastical storytelling). To be considered for either the sponsored award or Sci-Fi awards each screenplay had to first be entered in either the Adult/Family or Comedy Category.

The Teleplay Competition includes both Drama and Sitcom categories and is open to any spec script for the currently airing network or cable television program.

First Screenplay Postmark Deadline: May 15, 2008 ($40)
Late Screenplay Postmark Deadline: June 1, 2008 ($50)
Final Teleplay Postmark Deadline: June 1, 2008 ($30)

Questions? Contact Alex at 1-800-310-FEST.

General Rules

.....* The Screenplay/Teleplay Competition is only open to writers who do not earn a living writing for television or film.
.....* Screenplays/Teleplays must not have been optioned or sold prior to October 18, 2008.
.....* Screenplays/Teleplays must be the original work of the applicants. If based upon another's life story, applicant(s) must attach a statement attesting to their rights to make such adaptations. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant's statement of authorship or rights.
.....* Screenplays/Teleplays that have previously reached the Semifinalist level and beyond are not eligible for resubmission.
.....* If a submission involves two or more writers as applicants, the award will be divided equally among them.
.....* Applicants may submit more than one screenplay/teleplay in any chosen category. Each entry requires an application, payment and script (excluding the Sponsored/ Sci-Fi Award - no additional script will be required).
.....* We strongly suggest that applicants register or copyright their screenplays/teleplays with the Writers Guild of America, East (www.wgaeast.org/script_registration).
.....* Submissions must be accompanied by a $40 (screenplay - early deadline), $50 (screenplay - late deadline), or $30 (teleplay) submission fee PER ENTRY and a completed entry form including authors' original signatures. Please do not send a photocopy of your signature. Make checks or money orders payable to "Austin Film Festival."
.....* Any Drama or Comedy Screenplay to be considered for the Sponsored Award must be accompanied by an additional $20 submission fee PER ENTRY.
.....* Any Drama or Comedy Screenplay to be considered for the Sci-Fi Award must be accompanied by an additional $20 submission fee PER ENTRY.
.....* Awards are based on overall merit of the entries. Judges reserve the right not to grant an award.
.....* The Teleplay Competition welcomes all spec scripts for any currently airing network or cable program, although no pilots scripts we be accepted.
.....* If you are entering your script into both Comedy and Drama categories please include two copies of your script.

Ed

Looks good - makes me wish I wrote scripts. I had a go at it a few years ago, but never really sussed out all the tags you've got to use.

This is one of the few examples where fan fiction is worthwhile. Most of the time you can't even post it online anywhere, because sites are worried about breaching copyrights and getting sued by corporate lawyers. ::)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

bintarab

Screenwriting is a true mystery to me (plays too). I find I can't even read them. I'm sure it's just a matter of learning it, the same way people learn to "read" poems or stories or anything else, but I've put my energies elsewhere for now.

I have to say, I'm disappointed that all the great creativity that goes into sci-fi/horror/fantasy stories doesn't get onto the screen.

~bint