News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Live and not so live readings

Started by Ed, April 19, 2008, 07:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

Quote from: starktheground on April 21, 2008, 09:44:13 AM
Quote from: Ed on April 20, 2008, 08:00:22 PM
The funny thing about accents is that everybody but you thinks your accent sounds cool, no matter who you are and what the accent is. :smiley:

Haha! I'm gonna put that on a bumper sticker!  :afro:
Bumper sticker? Do you drive one of those 'Extra Wide' loads such as a Space Shuttle launcher? LOL

delboy

QuoteThe funny thing about accents is that everybody but you thinks your accent sounds cool, no matter who you are and what the accent is.

Except for me. I sounds loike a country yokel, I does.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

bintarab

And actors end up paying tons to acquire that accent for a part ... Surely it can be used to advantage.

~bint

Geoff_N

Dunno if you clicked on my Prime Meridian (a few posts above) and waited for it to load but you'd detect my West Country accent too. I was dragged up tween Gloucester & Cheltenham (not far I think from Derek's home in Quedgeley, Gloucester.

When I first taught in Sheffield, Yorkshire, the kids laughed at me saying words like tomaaato and fertilizzzzzer. Now my Lancastrian wife sounds a bit Gloucestershire and I sound a bit Lancs!

Geoff

bintarab

A friend of mine immigrated to the US from the Caribbean when she was 10. She's still bitter about how (soon after she got here) the class cracked up when she asked the teacher if he had a "rubber" she could use.

Language ideologies are powerful.

~bint

Ed

Yeah, I think I sound a bit South African in that reading, but when I relax and talk naturally, I zoundz a bit zummerrrrzet, I does... catch myself saying things like 'gurt', sometimes, even though I'm actually a jowdie lad, ya-naa.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

bintarab

Quote from: Ed on April 21, 2008, 10:55:04 AM
Yeah, I think I sound a bit South African in that reading, but when I relax and talk naturally, I zoundz a bit zummerrrrzet, I does... catch myself saying things like 'gurt', sometimes, even though I'm actually a jowdie lad, ya-naa.

What's a 'gurt'?

~bint

Ed

A quick dose of zummerzet, in context:

"Ulright?" (How are you this fine day, my good fellow?)

"Aah, ulright?" (Fine, thank you for asking, and how are you?)

"Aah." (Fine, thank you.)

"Azzer gurt big eefer thees got theer, bent err?" (That's a great big cow you've got there, isn't it?)

"Aah." (Yes it is, and thank you for noticing.)

:afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

bintarab

delboy

Sounds like me and the old man talking. Add a few nods, occasional puffed cheeks and a couple of raised eyebrows and you can have an in depth conversation about anything from cricket to global economy without using any other words than those Ed wrote above.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Further reading on the subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/articles/2005/01/18/dont_tell_i_tell_ee_feature.shtml

Quite an interesting article, actually :afro:

Another on Wiki:

Quote"The dialect is not, as some people suppose, English spoken in a slovenly and ignorant way. It is the remains of a language - the court language of King Alfred. Many words, thought to be wrongly pronounced by the countryman, are actually correct, and it is the accepted pronunciation which is wrong. English pronounces W-A-R-M worm, and W-O-R-M wyrm; in the dialect W-A-R-M is pronounced as it is spelt, Anglo-Saxon W-E-A-R-M. The Anglo-Saxon for worm is W-Y-R-M. Polite English pronounces W-A-S-P wosp; the Anglo-Saxon word is W-O-P-S and a Somerset man still says WOPSE. The verb To Be is used in the old form, I be, Thee bist, He be, We be, Thee 'rt, They be. 'Had I known I wouldn't have gone', is 'If I'd a-know'd I 'ooden never a-went'; 'A' is the old way of denoting the past participle, and went is from the verb to wend (Anglo-Saxon wendan)."

In some cases, many of these forms are closer to Standard German than Standard British English is, e.g.Standard German   Somerset   Standard British English
Ich bin   I be/A be   I am
Du bist   Thee bist   You are (archaic "Thou art")
Er ist   He be   He is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Country_dialects

Hah - http://www.scrumpyandwestern.co.uk/

starktheground

Quote from: Geoff_N on April 21, 2008, 10:19:57 AM
Quote from: starktheground on April 21, 2008, 09:44:13 AM
Quote from: Ed on April 20, 2008, 08:00:22 PM
The funny thing about accents is that everybody but you thinks your accent sounds cool, no matter who you are and what the accent is. :smiley:

Haha! I'm gonna put that on a bumper sticker!  :afro:
Bumper sticker? Do you drive one of those 'Extra Wide' loads such as a Space Shuttle launcher? LOL

Haha, haven't you learned yet not to take me literally!

joneastwood

Hi all - been a while for me. New job and suchlike. Incidentally, if anyone is anywhere near London Bridge, I now help run the new tourist attraction The London Bridge Experience - a vaguely historical interactive series of shows followed by a zombie scare show. Thought it may appeal to some of you. Pics soon...
On the note of podcasts - if anyone's interested in having a podcast, but doesn't think their own voice suits, I'd be happy to do it. I'm (apparently) a professional actor and I've done this sort of thing before.
Free, obviously...

Ed

Ah - good stuff, thanks Jon :afro: I'll look forward to seeing the pics from your new job - sounds like it could be interesting.

We really should try to get this project off the ground while we've got people eager to help and we've got a few talented flashers. Any takers? Anybody want one of their stories made into an mp3 to podcast? :smiley:

starktheground

I would, but I'd still have to get a microphone and figure out how to do it!