News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Live and not so live readings

Started by Ed, April 19, 2008, 07:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elay2433

This sounds pretty cool. I don't think I'd want to read one myself, but it would be intersting to hear one of your stories read by an actor. What are you guys doing with the recordings?

-elay

joneastwood

Good question. What do people fancy? A friend of mine runs something called The Wireless Theatre Company that has radio scenes and sketches available as podcasts and she might be interested in taking them. Bit of a long shot, but worth asking, I guess. Any other thoughts?

I've found another guy who wants to be involved in this. His name's Matthew Wycliffe and he's a great actor who is usually found strutting his stuff as Buddy Holly every night at The Duchess Theatre in Covent Garden. He also (rather conveniently) has a recording studio in his house, which is round the corner from me. :D
Might be a week or so before I get a chance to do some recording. I've got an audition tomorrow I need to prepare for and I've got a show in early June that's taking up a lot of mental energy at the moment. Will keep you all posted.

Ed

Well, I can host them on Ourmedia and then post them on the front page of the site - make a feature article about them, if you like. Otherwise I'd be happy to go with the Wrireless Theatre Company, if the webmistress would like to have them. I had a look through my archives and found quite a few stories of various lengths that I think would suit the task.

What sort of length do you think would be best for you, Jon?
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

I've just caught up with this. Looking forward greatly to hearing the first one! Sounds like it could be brilliant  :afro:

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

joneastwood

Lengthwise - I really don't mind. Anything from the flash length stuff upwards. Depends what you want to hear really, although i don't really want to tackle a novel just yet.
Things with plenty of dialogue will be more fun, I guess, but its early days and I'd like to try as much stuff as people are willing to give.

starktheground

Hmmm, I just can't choose! Can't I pick two . . . or ten?  :grin: (kidding, of course)

Ed

I was thinking the same thing about stories with more dialogue being fun to do, especially if there is a few of you doing the reading. I'll try to dig out something later today and I'll run it past you to see what you think. I'm surprised that nobody else seems very interested in doing this. Having something you've written brought to life by somebody else can be very satisfying, and quite surprising, too - other people can spot and bring out nuances you hadn't realised were there before.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

On the contrary, Ed, I think lots of us are VERY interested. Should you start a new thread where people could post possible stories? Give a few guidelines as to length, etc? I'm not sure how you want to go about doing this.

Ed

Good idea, Cathy - I've started a thread here - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/topic,2108.0.html and posted one of my old stories, which is mostly dialogue and hardly a story at all, come to think of it :scratch:

Let me know if it's any use to you, Jon, or whethr you'd prefer something with more traditional structure.

bintarab

Jon, you and your colleagues might be interested in this:

The Melted Rubber Humans are looking for mp3 files of spoken word/poetry readings (either live or studio) to be incorporated in a series of albums of ambient/ experimental music.

Region: UK, Scotland
Deadline: 29 Jun 2008

They are looking for poetry which deals with the following topics:
1. God/ the Goddess/ spirituality;
2. sex/ gender/ sexuality;
3. power/ politics/ corruption;
4. love/ want/ need;
5. fear/ despair/ greed.

They are looking for poetry with a rich, interesting and/or  experimental approach to the use of language and especially those read with voices that reflect the feeling of the poem.

The plan is to select lines or verses from poems and to blend them into a sound-collage; a musical equivalent to the art of the Dadaists.  The finished albums will be posted at
http://www.virb.com/melted_rubber_humans and will, like their previous three albums, be available for free download.

Poems can either be submitted by email or snail mail.

Email submissions are limited to one mp3 file with a 2Mb maximum file size and should be sent to shooglemail@googlemail.com with "FAO:  Captain Melted" in the subject line.

There are no file size limitations for snail mail submissions.   These should be sent on CD to Dee Sunshine, 35 Falkland Street (0/1),  Glasgow, G12 9QZ, United Kingdom.

There is no deadline as this will be an ongoing project.

Further information about The Melted Rubber Humans can be found at  www.myspace.com/captainmelted
Contact Name: Dee Sunshine
Contact Email: shooglemail@googlemail.com
Submissions announcement at: http://www.literaturetraining.com/metadot/index.pl?id=38239&isa=DBRow&op=show&dbview_id=2300