gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55894 Posts in 6182 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 February 23, 2020, 02:12:56 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cafe Doom's Fourth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info  (Read 64559 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »

Thirty-two smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2008, 06:24:15 PM »

I'm getting there, rest assured. I just need Ying to go over the second draft with a fine toothed comb!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2008, 06:26:57 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, Ash afro

We're up to thirty-three now (not including yours) smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
JonP
Critter

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:14 PM »

a fine toothed comb

Now that's something you don't see very often these days. They're usually hidden under a pile of toothcombs (of varying quality, but mainly fine).  grin

PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »

Please for two weeks - I can only access a computer for an hour at a time from the library. Might have to print them off...
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »

Thirty-four. A few pro names in-amongst the reading list, too afro

Should be a good selection of stories, I think.

I'm happy to go with the majority's wishes on extending the reading/voting time, but I think two weeks is probably too long. How many people would like the reading time extended, and by how long?

Grillmeat
Critter

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »

Can't wait to dive into the stories.
I happen to be on vacation next week so other than my own writting I will have plenty of time for story reading.
However, I think the addition of an extra 2-3 days would be good.
As an aside, what time tomorrow will you be putting the stories up?

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »

I think I'll post them tomorrow evening, to give any stragglers a bit of extra time to get their stories in. By then it's also Halloween proper - dark and spooky. Nice afro

I've already posted them ready on a hidden part of the forum, so that should make life a bit easier for me later. It took me an hour and a half to sort through and post all of them as it was. Glad I didn't leave it until the last minute smiley

rsmccoy
...dark is not enough
Mortician

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »

Very cool Ed, I am pumped!! Will I be able to view them all or only the finalists?

It's better to burn out, than fade away...
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2008, 03:24:33 AM »

Very cool Ed, I am pumped!! Will I be able to view them all or only the finalists?

Had a flurry of activity overnight, so we're up to nearly forty stories, Scott. Great result - I'm really looking forward to reading all the stories as well. Up until now I've only read one or two of the first ones to come in. I wanted to leave reading until the end, so that I'm going through them at the same time as everybody else. Later today I'll post the stories on the story thread for all members of the site to see, so yep - you'll see them all afro

Sallyq
Mortician

« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2008, 04:15:44 AM »

It's brill that so many entries have come in. afro

So if we could read 4 stories each a day (to give them proper attention), 10 days ought to do it, Ed.  Some of us might read through them quicker than that anyway. But that's just my suggestion. Others might think differently.

delph_ambi
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2008, 04:36:36 AM »

Ten days sounds good to me. Nobody is going to read that many stories cover to cover anyway - we're all, I'm sure, going to give the first few paragraphs our serious attention and then skim the rest unless the story is so good it draws us in completely.

Accepting that you're going to skim quite a lot of stuff makes the task of reading so many stories seem perfectly manageable, and it doesn't half help to sort out the really good ones.
catephoenix
Coffin Maker

« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2008, 04:38:38 AM »

10 days would be fabulous. afro

It is not the bang that terrifies, but the anticipation of it - Alfred Hitchcock

http://fright-fest.blogspot.com
www.strangemeninpinstripesuits.com
kevinlucia
Stiff

« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2008, 05:29:04 AM »

I was one of the last minute flurries, so here's hoping I slid in under the door.... lipsrsealed
betrulove
Stiff

« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2008, 12:55:11 PM »

Ten days sounds good to me. Nobody is going to read that many stories cover to cover anyway - we're all, I'm sure, going to give the first few paragraphs our serious attention and then skim the rest unless the story is so good it draws us in completely.

Accepting that you're going to skim quite a lot of stuff makes the task of reading so many stories seem perfectly manageable, and it doesn't half help to sort out the really good ones.

How appalling!

Anyone stating that they won't be reading the stories in their entirety shouldn't be allowed to judge (or, therefore, enter) the competition.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx