News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Cafe Doom's Fourth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info

Started by Ed, August 03, 2008, 04:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SamLeeFreak

I'm getting there, rest assured. I just need Ying to go over the second draft with a fine toothed comb!

Ed

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, Ash :afro:

We're up to thirty-three now (not including yours) :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

JonP

Quote from: SamLeeFreak on October 29, 2008, 06:24:15 PM
a fine toothed comb

Now that's something you don't see very often these days. They're usually hidden under a pile of toothcombs (of varying quality, but mainly fine).  :D

PaulH

Please for two weeks - I can only access a computer for an hour at a time from the library. Might have to print them off...

Ed

Thirty-four. A few pro names in-amongst the reading list, too :afro:

Should be a good selection of stories, I think.

I'm happy to go with the majority's wishes on extending the reading/voting time, but I think two weeks is probably too long. How many people would like the reading time extended, and by how long?

Grillmeat

Can't wait to dive into the stories.
I happen to be on vacation next week so other than my own writting I will have plenty of time for story reading.
However, I think the addition of an extra 2-3 days would be good.
As an aside, what time tomorrow will you be putting the stories up?
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

Ed

I think I'll post them tomorrow evening, to give any stragglers a bit of extra time to get their stories in. By then it's also Halloween proper - dark and spooky. Nice :afro:

I've already posted them ready on a hidden part of the forum, so that should make life a bit easier for me later. It took me an hour and a half to sort through and post all of them as it was. Glad I didn't leave it until the last minute :smiley:

rsmccoy

Very cool Ed, I am pumped!! Will I be able to view them all or only the finalists?
It's better to burn out, than fade away...

Ed

Quote from: rsmccoy on October 30, 2008, 07:27:00 PM
Very cool Ed, I am pumped!! Will I be able to view them all or only the finalists?

Had a flurry of activity overnight, so we're up to nearly forty stories, Scott. Great result - I'm really looking forward to reading all the stories as well. Up until now I've only read one or two of the first ones to come in. I wanted to leave reading until the end, so that I'm going through them at the same time as everybody else. Later today I'll post the stories on the story thread for all members of the site to see, so yep - you'll see them all :afro:

Sallyq

It's brill that so many entries have come in. :afro:

So if we could read 4 stories each a day (to give them proper attention), 10 days ought to do it, Ed.  Some of us might read through them quicker than that anyway. But that's just my suggestion. Others might think differently.

delph_ambi

Ten days sounds good to me. Nobody is going to read that many stories cover to cover anyway - we're all, I'm sure, going to give the first few paragraphs our serious attention and then skim the rest unless the story is so good it draws us in completely.

Accepting that you're going to skim quite a lot of stuff makes the task of reading so many stories seem perfectly manageable, and it doesn't half help to sort out the really good ones.

catephoenix

It is not the bang that terrifies, but the anticipation of it - Alfred Hitchcock

http://fright-fest.blogspot.com
www.strangemeninpinstripesuits.com

kevinlucia

I was one of the last minute flurries, so here's hoping I slid in under the door.... :lipsrsealed:

betrulove

Quote from: delph_ambi on October 31, 2008, 04:36:36 AM
Ten days sounds good to me. Nobody is going to read that many stories cover to cover anyway - we're all, I'm sure, going to give the first few paragraphs our serious attention and then skim the rest unless the story is so good it draws us in completely.

Accepting that you're going to skim quite a lot of stuff makes the task of reading so many stories seem perfectly manageable, and it doesn't half help to sort out the really good ones.

How appalling!

Anyone stating that they won't be reading the stories in their entirety shouldn't be allowed to judge (or, therefore, enter) the competition.