News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

are widgets good?

Started by Geoff_N, November 02, 2008, 05:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

Robert Pratten, a Californian film director experimenting with widgets on video trailers used my Exit book trailer for practice.
http://www.zenfilms.com/geoffnelder.html

It's the click-to-buy icon superimposed on the video.

What do you think? I have mixed feelings, unless sales uptick ;)

Geoff

Mooncalled

I think it looks good.  A lot of authors are doing the whole movie traailer thing.  I'm not sure how this translates into sales, but it can't hurt. 

David_E_Greske

I like the trailer, but the widget in the corner kind of bothers me.  It's like watching a television program with a constant advertisment invading the screen.  I think if someone really wants to purchase the book, they'd note the web addresses at the end and make the effort to visit and place the order there.

Just my opimion.

Geoff_N

I know what you are saying David. However, if you go full screen, the wdget hides, so you can experience the arty nature of the trailier. I won't know for months, when the royalty figures tumble in, whether it helps sales.

Geoff

Ed

I agree with David - I just find it annoyingly distracting. I'd prefer it not to be there.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]