News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Well, he got his 'time alone'

Started by Vivacious, January 24, 2005, 05:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivacious

By Hugh Schofield
Paris
BBC News

Jean-Luc Josuat-Verges with his family

Mr Josuat-Verges had told his wife he wanted some time alone
A man who went missing five weeks ago in south-western France has been found alive in an underground cave system where he had got lost.

Jean-Luc Josuat-Verges, 48, told police he survived by eating wood and clay.

He was found thanks to some teenagers who had been exploring the caves, which are normally closed to the public.

Mr Josuat-Verges left his home on 18 December suffering from depression and telling his wife he wanted to be alone for a time, local newspapers said.

Taking a bottle of whisky he drove his jeep to an abandoned mushroom farm consisting of a vast network of underground tunnels.

But in the pitch blackness he got lost and for the next 35 days he had to survive as he could.

Wrapped in plastic sheeting, he said he ate wood and clay, which may have been the remains of the mushrooms.

On Thursday the teenagers, taking advantage of a teachers' strike, went to explore the underground galleries which are supposed to be out of bounds to the public.

Seeing the man's jeep, they alerted the police who eventually found him on Friday.

He was thin, very dishevelled, but alive. It was like seeing a mummy rising from the dead, one officer told a newspaper.

Dumbass ::)

canadian

Oh, my. I knew men liked their caves but this is taking things a bit too far, wouldn't you say?  ::)
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Ed

I wonder how it feels to be 'at one with the mushroom'? :grin:  What a dick :scratch:  35 days in complete darkness, eating clay and wood - he must have a major malfunction. :cheesy:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Troglodyte

Mmm ... dunno about that: some folk would pay good money for that length of time away from the other half. And, as it's pitch black anyway, there's no chance of going blind :D ;)
Writing, when properly managed, (as you may be sure I think mine is) is but a different name for conversation.

Laurence Sterne (1713-1768)

canadian

But ... he coulda died ... I still say: "what was he thinkin'?"

Oh. Sorry. That's something only wimmin do -- think ...  :hidin:
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Vivacious

Why didnt he just check into a seedy motel and hire a hooker like anyone else??  Sheesh!

Bitey

Walker

I don't think it's a gender issue. The only reason women don't do stuff like that is because they can't see the mirror in a dark cave.  :bleh:
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

Ed

...or they would have got lost on their way to the cave :afro:  Our washing machine broke down a couple years ago, so my wife decided to take the washing to a laundrette across the other side of town (2 miles).  Half an hour later, she was hopelessly lost and twenty miles past her target destination :fugly:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

canadian

But I'll bet she finally stopped and asked for directions, huh? Huh?  :cool:

Ed

Quote from: canadian on January 25, 2005, 10:02:06 PM
But I'll bet she finally stopped and asked for directions, huh? Huh?  :cool:

No, actually, she rang me, in tears ::) and asked for directions home :huh:

Geoff_N

I feel for the guy.
I got lost on my way somehere else. Im still lost.
Some clown told me to turn right at Neptune then do a sling shot around Mars.
It should have been left,
So now I'm here, learning your language and getting by.
That tunnel system sounds good. Where is it again?

JoyceCarter

Second star on the right, and keep straight on till morning...  (quote)