gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55940 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 August 04, 2020, 11:30:58 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Anybody Doing NANOWRIMO 08?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anybody Doing NANOWRIMO 08?  (Read 14890 times)

Offline doolols

• Coroner
Re: Anybody Doing NANOWRIMO 08?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »
Not for me this year. I successfully completed 3 years, but each time I felt disappointed. I didn't have enough time to write much more than 50k, and my focus was on writing words, any words, to get the word count spinning.

Anyway, we're moving house in the middle of November, so there's no way I'd be able to find time to do it anyway. But I'm one of Sally's pom-pom wavers, and wish anyone who's doing it all the best. It's a great challenge, and a whole heap of fun.

And now I'm kinda wishing I could do it  :'(
My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)

Offline rsmccoy

• ...dark is not enough
  • Mortician
    • Necrotic Tissue
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »
I am, watch me crank out 50k worth of crap. Words, words, words. Actually, this is how I write normally. It flows strong and then I go back in and add where needed and cut where needed and then I get to my half dozen revisions of editing. I may not get 50K in one month, but the goal has helped me get off my keester.

With any luck, I will come close enough to have something ready for my trusted reader to review by Xmas.
It's better to burn out, than fade away...

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 04:37:44 AM »
Interestingly, Sally's first two tips are the two main tips I keep in mind for all my writing. The only way I can finish longer pieces is by accepting that the first draft (first several drafts, actually) is going to be very rough and therefore turn internal editor off, allow myself to write poorly, know that much of it will be cur and reworked anyway, and have fun!

Not doing this NANO thing myself. I'm struggling to hit a 600 word a day target for other projects at the moment.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 05:10:23 AM »
Yet another year is passing with me not doing NANO. I can't seem to write any damn thing at the moment. Too busy, too tired, lacking the spark of ideas necessary for the process.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 07:01:39 AM »
I'm still doing it, and up to 13318 words so far. And I agree, Delboy, the first two tips can help through any writing project.

My article on Surviving NaNoWriMo, including those tips, is in the November/December The New Writer magazine, so I'm pretty chuffed about that.  :D I didn't know they'd accepted it till a gratis copy dropped through the letterbox this morning.

Offline rsmccoy

• ...dark is not enough
  • Mortician
    • Necrotic Tissue
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »
Woot! 14,195, and I just sat down to check the boards before I start writing today. Since time is so thin during the week, I'm shooting for 20,000 by Sunday night.
It's better to burn out, than fade away...

Offline Sallyq

• Mortician
    • Sally Quilford
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 01:49:32 PM »
Well done, Scott! :afro:

I end the day at 15403. I'm hoping to be at around 18k by tomorrow night, more if I can get there.

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Anybody Doing NANOWRIMO 08?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.181 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx