News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Anybody Doing NANOWRIMO 08?

Started by Ed, October 05, 2008, 12:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I've never managed to get around to doing it yet, but if I can get my arse in gear, this might just be the year. Anybody from here intending to do it this year? :huh:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

PaulH

I've done it for the last three years. This year depends on whether or not I have access to a computer, but all being well, I'll take a crack at it again.

Sallyq

Despite claiming that this would be my year off from NaNo, I've decided I am doing it after all. I've decided to write a novel of linking stories  ::) So I'll be here to cheer you on if you decide to do it, Ed.

These are my survival tips for NaNoWriMo http://quillersplace.blogspot.com/2007/10/ask-sally-15-survival-tips-for.html

Ed

Thanks, Sally. I think it would be a good idea for me to do it. I've had this damn story burning away at my brain for a long time, and I need to get on and write it out. It's going to require a fair bit of planning, though, I think :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Pharosian

For what it's worth, I found that not having a plan and trying to keep up with my daily word count during NaNoWriMo was a BAD MOVE. Of course, nobody says you have to stick to the minimum ~1700 words per day to get to 50,000 by the end of the month, but I was trying to hit the target.

Having some kind of outline or character list or plot summary or history or reference materials (depending on your personal working style and the type of project) will be a big help.

Just my 2c. Or 2p as it may be.  ;)

SamLeeFreak

rsmccoy

It's better to burn out, than fade away...

Sallyq

Oh I agree it's a good idea to have a plan before you start, Pharosian, and there's no rule that says you can't make notes. I probably should have included that in my tips.  :afro:

Ed

Is there anything I can do to help, such as set up a new forum section? I'm not sure how much use it would be, but if anybody wants one I can soon cordon off a section and make it invisible to guests. Alternatively, if all you need is to keep track of totals, or something, I suppose we could do it on this thread.

Let me know your thoughts :smiley:

catephoenix

I'm planning on doing it this year too.

Failed last year.  >:(
It is not the bang that terrifies, but the anticipation of it - Alfred Hitchcock

http://fright-fest.blogspot.com
www.strangemeninpinstripesuits.com

Sallyq

It's up to you, Ed. I am already in the closed NaNo group at Writers Dock, and they're quite a nice group (but as you know someone else has moved in 'next door' which is making me a bit wary). I'm also setting up a blog but am debating whether to have it as members' only to keep the unpublished status of my novel. But I'd be happy to join in any NaNo related activities here too. It all helps us to get to that final word count.

You must have plot ninjas of course. It wouldn't be NaNo without them. :yes:

caseyquinn

I will be doing Nano this year, first try... feel a little intimated since the longest thing i have ever written was 10,000 words, but hey, what do i have to lose other then my mind, right?
Casey Quinn
Editor - Short Story Library
http://shortstory.us.com

Want to be paid and get published? Check out:
http://www.readme.us.com

jshayer

I'm already signed up. Last year I got across the finishing line (50k words) around November 26th, writing about 2,000 words a day. Little anxious as I know how much work it will actually take as opposed to when I first did it.

Sallyq

It's odd, but it does get harder every year. I think the first year you run on sheer enthusiasm, and as most first year NaNoWers are new-ish writers, don't worry to much about quality. As the years have gone on (and I'm on my 6th year!) you start to worry more about quality, and the enthusiasm, though there, isn't as 'sheer'.

BTW I've set up an invitation only blog for mine, and I'm inviting people to come along and give me plot ninjas, plus wave a few pom poms. There's no obligation to read the whole darn thing. So if anyone would like an invite, send me a PM with your email address (preferably the one you use to log into google or blogger) and I'll send an invite.