gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 29, 2020, 03:16:44 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  The ubiquitous resolution thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The ubiquitous resolution thread  (Read 14024 times)

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
The ubiquitous resolution thread
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »
I don't usually bother with New Year's Resolutions, because I figure if I'm not already doing whatever it is then I can't be bothered with it long term, and no amount of resolving will change my mind about it.

The thing is, though - it's definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, good to have a plan. So in the spirit of having a plan, what are your ambitions for 2009? :shuh
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Woody

• AnnoyEd
  • Coroner
    • Writers Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:32:33 PM by Woody »

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
Re: The ubiquitous resolution thread
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 06:36:07 PM »
Finish writing my magic realism, Xaghra's Revenge, polish it and see if agent will hawk it around mainstream publishers.
Work harder at improving and promoting Escape Velocity magazine.
Buy books to help the ailing book industry.
Give my family more time.

Geoff

Offline rsmccoy

• ...dark is not enough
  • Mortician
    • Necrotic Tissue
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:18:56 PM »
Get 300 subscriptions for NT Print
Get my 2nd novel published and finish my 3rd
Get my 1st short story Pro sale
Continue working out
Have more fun
It's better to burn out, than fade away...

Offline Grillmeat

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »
Well this is an interesting thread.......
For next year I hope to make some progress in my training with my GSD.
Since I met my goal of "putting my work out there" in 2008, I think I will be trying to cut back on the number of submissions this year and move towards paying markets.
I wouldn't mind loosing about ten pounds too........... :santa_embarassed:
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

delph_ambi

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:39:19 AM »
Get my 2nd novel published and finish my 3rd (is there an echo in here?)
Go full steam ahead on illustrating commissions, as it's definitely easier to get pro-rate for them than for writing.
Keep plugging away at the writing, nonetheless.

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 05:49:48 AM »
Learn to cook a decent Apple Pie.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 06:10:51 AM »
Learn to cook a decent Apple Pie.

Del

American Pie? :shuh
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Mooncalled

• Grave Digger
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
I want to finish my romance novel.  Yes, I also write romance, how horrifying!  Finish my Urban Fantasy novel and finish 3-5 more short stories for my horror anthology.  Loose the remaining baby weight and hopefully be pregnant again by the end of the year.  I also need to teach hubby to clean the house so I'll have time to do all of this  :santa_azn:

Offline Caz

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
  For the new year I need to learn how to give a more solid structure and more stability to my short stories, if I do that then maybe not so many of them will crash and burn, which has been the case for all but one of the stories I sent out this year. This one is currently in a holding pattern at footprints anthology.
  Who knows maybe the fire trucks won't have to roll on this one when it comes back home, but then again it might just be another one of those  :nk:  I might even finish the book I started a year or so ago but first I will have to stop looking a the rejection pile. God, the carnage in there is horrible.   
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Offline Caz

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 02:52:34 PM »
My plan is to carry over the resolutions from last time, i.e. get fitter, get thiner and stop boozing so much, and add get published, whether it's novels, shorts or poetry and also, make a success of the 3rd annual Southend Book Fair, that I've been handed the reigns to run for 2009. Never done anything like this before, but it's certainly going to be interesting and hopefully I can make it more than it has been in the last two years. However the biggest thing is how to get people interested in taking part and turning up to have a look around. And finally, not get made redundant - which is something that is possibly looming for me in August 2009. What a year 2009 is going to be  :santa_grin:

Hey, Woody, you forgot to add, "Win a game of pool." :santa_grin: :santa_grin: :santa_grin: :dance:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Offline starktheground

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »
My resolution for '08 was to quit smoking, so I think I've suffered enough for the next decade or so!

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »
My resolution for '08 was to quit smoking, so I think I've suffered enough for the next decade or so!

Know that feeling well. Did you manage to kick the habit?

Offline Grillmeat

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
Grats to you stark if you managed that-or even if you didn't. Its a tough habit to break. Took my wife about a half dozen trys over a ten year period before she kicked it. She's never been happier or healthier.
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

Offline elay2433

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 11:51:31 PM »
Ah, smoking. I quit... twice. I'm sure I'll quit again after the next time I start back up. Been two-plus years for me this time around.

No resolutions on this front, except perhaps to try and write a few pages every day. When I have a story idea I can really get behind, well then I don't want to stop, but if it's something that's dragging, or I'm a little unsure as to where things are headed, I tend to drop it. So my resolution would be to write every day, and finish my stories.

A very modest goal of mine, (at least I think it's modest) is to publish in one of the small press/pro paying markets.

Best of luck to all with their resolutions/goals.
Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  The ubiquitous resolution thread

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.119 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx