gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 28, 2020, 02:59:27 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ubiquitous resolution thread  (Read 12942 times)
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 11:57:12 PM »

I managed to give up smoking in 2001 when I contracted malaria in Sudan.

I was so sick I couldn't face a ciggie for a week, by which time the craving had subsided. During my year in Sudan, due to a lack of junk food, snack food and alcohol in country, I also lost about two stone.

That said, I wouldn't recommend malaria as a cure for smoking!

As for 2009 - I'm working on a 'new' batch of Canterbury Tales to make Chaucer turn in his grave.

Also plan to submit a lot more - short stories that is!

DW santa_cheesy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:59:07 PM by desertwomble » Logged

Mooncalled
Grave Digger

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 09:00:39 AM »

Congrats to all of those who quit smoking  I did about five years ago.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  I will admit to having one (or 10) when I've done some heavy drinking, always regretted it in the morning, that will have to stop too now.  And for all of those that have quit more than once, keep quitting one day it'll stick. 
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 02:09:20 PM »

Did you know that doctors used to purposely infect people with malaria to cure their syphilis? Apparently the heat of the high fever is more than the syphilis can cope with, so it dies. In the days before antibiotics that must have been a pretty tough decision to make - do you want to go crazy with the pox and then die, or contract an incurable disease that could kill you in the hope of a cure. scratch Rock and a hard place.

Re the smoking - I'm coming up to my third anniversary of quitting, and I'm really glad to be free of the damn things. To those of you who haven't read it, I'd recommend getting hold of a copy of the Allen Carr book, Easy Way to Stop Smoking. After I had read it and understood the process of addiction my mind put itself through, I could say with certainty that I could stop and would never smoke again. It's been difficult at times, but I've never once been close to starting again, and I used to smoke two packs a day.

Allen Carr likens smoking to wearing shoes that are too tight for you, only for the pleasure you get from taking them off, and that just about sums it up, really. If you think smoking a cigarette will take your stress away in testing times - it won't - not unless you're already a smoker, in which case you're only feeding a symptom of your addiction, which is a feeling of stress. If you're not already a smoker it'll just make you feel ill, it'll taste and smell bad, and it will continue to until such time as you're addicted again. If you think you're missing out on something, read the book, and then you'll realise you're not afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »

And to prove Ed's point here's a picture of Alan Carr with no sign of a cigarette:

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »

I think you might have mistaken the 'smoking' Allen Carr for the the 'flaming' homosexual Alan Carr there, Del fugly

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »

Isn't Allen Carr dead?

Seriously, though, I'd recommend his stop smoking plan to anyone. Helped me quit once.
http://allencarr.com/central/

As for '09 resolutions, I gave those up decades ago. I'll just keep puttering along and see what happens.

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 05:40:17 AM »

Yes... I wonder if they cremated him scratch

When you say 'once', Donna, you don't mean you've started again? huh

canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 07:17:37 AM »

When you say 'once', Donna, you don't mean you've started again? huh

Short answer ... yeah. I'm weak.

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »

Nevermind. It obviously wasn't the right time for you, I suppose. I get the impression you've got to reach a point where you badly want to kick the habit to give yourself the best chance of quitting. After I had been through the first few weeks of stopping I decided that I wouldn't put myself through it again, whatever happened. That's the worst part, for sure.

canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »

I quit once for nine years. smiley

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 08:48:42 PM »

My resolution for '08 was to quit smoking, so I think I've suffered enough for the next decade or so!

Know that feeling well. Did you manage to kick the habit?

Yep. I think I actually did it this time! It's been, what, over eight months since I was smoking.  smiley Of course, I still get those random cravings, but I'd say the pregnancy has helped keep cigarettes off my mind!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx