gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55950 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 23, 2020, 12:18:21 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  General Discussion  |  What's top of your reading list?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's top of your reading list?  (Read 130390 times)

Offline Caz

• Critter
  • Coroner
Re: What's top of your reading list?
« Reply #405 on: December 29, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »
I finished reading 'The Strain' and the second book in the series 'The Fall' and the comments that Geoff mentioned about the writing in the first book is fair. The main problem with it is the asides, there's a lot of them and they go on so long at times that the reader -me- starts to lose track of what the sentence is about. And at times there appears to be no end point to the starting comment in the sentence. But I kept going despite the often confusing writing and I'm glad I did. Most of the problems are ironed out by the second book and the story tears along at a fair old pace.
It's not the best vampire plague story I've ever read, there are two others that I would say are better, but it's still good. And I'm not the only one who thinks that, there is a waiting list at the library for the third and final book in the trilogy. Ho hum gotta wait for that one then.

Current reading is 'Robin Hood versus The Plague Undead.' Quite a mad story but what the hell it seems like fun, and I picked up Stephen King's new book  '11/22/63' for half price in the sales. A time travel story by a great writer, I'm looking forward to that one even if there is no actual time machine. I do like a good noisy time machine with flashing dials and lightning bolts. Which reminds me of Dean Koontz's foray into the genre, 'Lightning Road' I think it was called. Time travel by some big time bad guys, great fun. :cool:       

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:06:56 PM by Caz »
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Offline fnord33

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • myspace page
« Reply #406 on: December 29, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »
I just finished American Virgin, a graphic novel series about an abstinence only advocate whose girlfriend is killed by fundamentalists. It was okay, but not as good as it sounds. Now I'm reading R. Crumb Instigates Violent Overthrow (or something like that). When I get back to "real" books I plan to read something by Haruki Murakami.  My wife discovered him about a month ago and she's already read 5 of  his  books.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Offline Caz

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #407 on: January 01, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »
Back to work on tuesday which is bad news. Started on a big journey which is good news. Already meet some old friends along the way.

I was shocked to learn  there is a waiting list for 'The Night Eternal,' third book in 'The Strain' trilogy. The local library has told me there's a potential twenty four weeks before I can get my hands on it. That'll be popular then.       

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
Yeah, I'm back to work again tomorrow -- feeling quite sick at the prospect. I hope the big journey turns out well for you. Good luck :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Caz

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #409 on: January 14, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »

Just got back from 1958 - been off on a spot of time travel for the last few weeks - and I gotta say that I had a fine old time there. My guide was a good as ever, he reacquainted me with a few old friends and some things that are best kept at arms length. Told me about a love story, a smattering of conspiracies and a time and place where the world seemed kinder than it is now. But it couldn’t last, time travel it’s such a dangerous thing, so when the butterfly spread it wings I knew that trouble was on it’s way.

Stephen King’s 11/22/63 is a fine story, not his best in my opinion, but better than most could hope to do.  :cool: :afro: :afro:

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #410 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
I'm enjoying a bit of King at the moment, too: Under The Dome. Huge book. Feels like I've been reading it forever and I'm still less than half way through. Great story-telling, although I still maintain he'd get slaughtered in the crit group - he changes tenses for entire sections, there's author intrusion, cartoonish villains... But I'm still loving it and (hopefully) learning a massive amount about story telling.

One thing that bothers me though is that the population of the town feels awful small - almost like a decent sized village here in the UK - and yet they have a medical centre, a hospital, a radio station, a seperate police force, a disused cinema, three churches, restaurants, used car lots, a downtown district...etc etc... in terms of resources it feels like a city, but in terms of that population it's tiny. Maybe it's the difference between the US and the UK?

EDIT: Just to add some facts and figures. From the fictitious Chesters Mill website "Chester's Mill is a thriving community with nearly two-thousand year-round residents and a Summer population of nearly fifteen-thousand."  From Wiki "Churchdown is a relatively large village, with a population of 11,261"  (Churchdown is where I was raised)

Great book though.

Derek
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:49:57 AM by delboy »
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

« Reply #411 on: January 18, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
Reading Yann Martel's 'Life of Pi' at the moment. As this won the Booker Prize, I suppose it's 'literary fiction', but don't let that put you off. This fairly zips along, is funny and fast and completely mad. There's a boy called Pi (an odd name, which gets explained) and a tiger called Richard Parker (yes, even odder, but there IS a reason). It's great storytelling. Reminds me of 'stories from other lands' that I used to devour as a child. Pure adventure. How such an entertaining book came to win the Booker is a mystery. Last time I tried to read a Booker winner I felt like slitting my wrists.

Offline Rev. Austin

• loves you like his own sister.
  • Critter
  • Coroner
  • AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE
    • The full skinny on Rev. Austin.  YES.  SIR.  REE.
« Reply #412 on: January 23, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
I've almost finished The Town by Bentley Little. It's pretty good, not one of his worst, but has 'told' me about more cool stuff than I've actually "seen" ie the sheriff muses on weird reports he's been receiving of monsters, rather than have the main characters encounter these monsters. Don't get me wrong, there are still some cool/weird things happening (like a church covered in hair) but there's this feeling of Little 'holding back' on the good stuff. I've only got about 60 pages left, though, so maybe it'll go nuts soon  :grin:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Offline jsorensen

• Critter
  • Mortician
« Reply #413 on: January 23, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »
Reading Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and its a bit of the back and forth thing...like it/don't like it, interesting/drags...I'll finish it and see but its looking like a pretty obvious story at the moment and having no big a-ha moment might crush it... :(
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’

Offline Caz

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #414 on: January 29, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
Bit of a change for me this one, but I decided to give a Frederick Forsyth novel a go. The book's call 'Avenger' and is an intriguing story about the hunt for a Serbian warlord. There's so many characters in this story, FBI, CIA, SAS and the like and no end of info dumps that it would have been easy to become totally lost, but Forsyth managed to keep me on-board somehow, so good for him. I also learnt about things I didn't know, about the fearless GIs who went down into the tunnel networks of Vietnam for one.
Good book this. I think I'll be spending more time in the company of the author. :afro:   

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #415 on: February 01, 2012, 05:45:09 AM »
Still ploughing through Under The Dome  :'(  To be honest it's turned into a chore, pace fell off massively in the second half and I've stopped enjoying the book. But I will force myself on...
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Tor Hershman

• Stiff
« Reply #416 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »
"My Life As A Small Boy" by Wally Cox
a true classic
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:08:15 AM by Tor Hershman »

Offline Caz

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
Finished reading Robert McCammon's 'Swan Song' the other week, I read it in about eight days which ain't bad for a book they weighs in at the best part of 900 pages. The story cuts to the chase fairly quick and after a few brief intros I was thrown into a full scale nuclear war, oh man what pretty colours. But it couldn't last and before long I was following a growing band of survivors as they stumbled over the rubble of wasted cities, There's plenty of scenes of carnage and devastation, all written in a way that made them visual to my mind's eye, and the eventual arrival of the picturesque, if deadly, nuclear winter. And so the quest began.
This is a magical tale with many surprises to be unveiled along the way. Loved it. :afro: :afro:

Offline starktheground

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #418 on: February 21, 2012, 10:30:31 AM »
That was always one of my favorite books, until I reread it a few years ago and some of the magic seemed to have disappeared. I guess it proves things read different depending on the reader . . . even the same reader a decade later!

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #419 on: February 22, 2012, 05:40:47 AM »
I recall enjoying Swan Song any years ago, too. It's still on my shelf awaiting a rereading but I'm not sure I'll ever get round to it. Too many books, too little time, at my pace of getting through books these days  :/

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  General Discussion  |  What's top of your reading list?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx