gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 30, 2020, 04:46:30 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Good read... really?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Good read... really?  (Read 5562 times)

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
Good read... really?
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:36:03 PM »
Hmm - interesting article by Mort Castle here - http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/when-just-a-good-read-isnt

I've been trawling my way through the Mammoth 'Best Horror Stories' books, and boy, if these are the best horror stories published in those years then the genre is in serious shit, IMO. Maybe I'm missing something that more experienced readers will find scintillating in these tales, but I'm finding most of them very dull. I would be very interested to know whether Mort Castle finds them as dull as I do, or whether he considers these to be good reads, because if these are truly the best then I might as well stop writing right now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:36:37 PM by Ed »
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline desertwomble

• Coroner
Re: Good read... really?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:03:30 PM »
One problem with the Mammoth Books series is that authors are unaware of the submissions process, or even that their work is eligible. For that reason, the editors seem to get most of their stories from a few published anthologies each year, so the anthology ends up being rather elitist.

This year I have three pieces being considered for the next Mammoth Book of Best Crime Fiction, one of which the editor definitely would never have come across before. I sent them directly to the editor just to make sure he saw them.

Anyhow, me aside, if you have a horror piece you want considered for Mammoth 'Best Horror Stories', keep up to date with Stephen Jones' (the editor's) website. He 'll let writers know when he;s accepting submissions.

http://www.stephenjoneseditor.com/coming-tbc-01.htm

DW :cheesy:

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:43:59 AM »
Good tip, Womble - thanks for that. I hope you get at least one of your pieces into the next Mammoth Book of Best Crime Fiction :smiley:

I expect I'll be blacklisted by the time I've got anything up for consideration. :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:20:32 AM »
I wrote a long reply to this earlier, and just before I hit send my PC turned itself off on account of over heating. It's been doing this a lot recently - no idea why. The fan comes on almost immediately, irrespective of what applications are running, and it gets hotter and hotter and then turns itself off for a cool. Most annoying.

Anyway, the upshot is, my reply was all about subjectivity. I quite like the Ramsey Lewis trio myself. I can't understand for the life of my why people would listen to some of the stuff that, say, Radio 1 plays when there are dozens of Ramsey Lewis CDs that they could be playing. Pop charts... Good listening... really? Best seller lists...

I guess the only upside for those of us in the minority is that there are enough of us to make a minority.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:17:51 PM »
Del - re the comp overheating, you will probably find it's the heat sink on the CPU that's blocked up with dust. I had the same thing happen on my old PC. Just clean it with a vacuum, or with a blast of dry air from a can. That should sort it out. The other things it could be is the fan sticking (also usually obstructed by dust bunnies), or the thermal paste between heat sink and CPU has dried out/is no longer filling the gap.

Whatever you do, don't take the heat sink off the CPU to clean it, unless you've got some thermal paste ready for when you replace it. You can (and will probably need to) take the fan off the CPU without hidden pitfalls or thermal paste.

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
Cheers Ed. I'll have a look at the fan later.

Regarding a good read - and combing it with a rejection thread. I suffered another rejection today (quite rightly, actually, it was something I sent off in a bit of a hurry) but it was tempered by the fact that I rejected a book myself. I was reading Cathedral by Nelson DeMille. Have been reading it all weekend and I just wasn't enjoying it. I was up to about page 100 and still didn't have a clue who I was meant to be rooting for. The descriptions and actions were annoying me as they didn't seem very clear, and the viewpoint kept chopping and changing mid-scene, sometimes mid paragraph it seemed. The dialogue wasn't realistic and the big set pieces just didn't fly. I looked at the 400 pages still to go, and I looked at all the books on my shelves that I felt were bound to be better, and I thought "Why I am I still reading this?" So in the dustbin it went.

Then I got to wondering if it was just me, so I called up some of the reviews on Amazon and whilst some people agreed with me. most marked it very highly, and there was one reviewer who said it was in his top 10 favourite books of all time. Just goes to show how rejection (and subjectivity) works from the other side!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline desertwomble

• Coroner
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »
Del

I'm sure at least half of the 'reviews' on Amazon are from those with a bias interest in the book or author!

DW :cheesy:

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »
Cheers Ed. I'll have a look at the fan later.

The CPU fan, not the case fan - I bet you find the heat sink and the fan is solid with dust and cat hair. Mine was.

(not the cat hair, though - I don't have a cat)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:23:38 PM by Ed »

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
Well, it's not as straightforward as I thought. Of all the base panels that come off easily with just the undoing of a couple of screws the fan is beneath none of them. It looks like it involves taking the entire base casing off. A job for a time when I've got writers block and won't need the lappy for an evening or two.

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »
Oh bugger - I had assumed it was a desktop :scratch:

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Good read... really?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx