Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: past tense/ present tense  (Read 2232 times)
Shannon Lee
Stiff

« on: July 07, 2009, 08:25:22 PM »

Hi everyone.

I need help!

Ok, let me explain a bit about myself. As you can probably tell with my sentence structure and what not. I have a learning disability. I don't mean to use this as some pathetic crutch but I have an issue in distinguishing past tense words with present tense. My novel mainly takes place with past event until later on when you read from the two main characters' perspectives. I am wondering what words are proper to use in past tense and what should be avoided when it comes to detail and description?

Any help in this subject matter would be very appreciative!
 smiley
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:50:59 PM »

Writing present tense can be a bit tricky since we're all so used to stories being written in the past.

That said, why not pick up a copy of 'All Quiet on the Western Front'. Translated from German, it's written entirely in the present tense.

I assume that's the norm in Germany, since as I recall 'The Boat' (about submarine warfare in the Second World War) is also in the present tense. By the way, 'The Boat' rates as my joint-favourite WWII book.

Good luck SL

DW Cheesy

delph_ambi
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »

It's impossible (probably) to make lists of appropriate words for particular tenses, as there would be thousands of them.

Best thing would be if you posted a chunk of your writing where you're not sure about the wording, and we could look it over and make suggestions.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator
Coroner

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 03:45:16 AM »

Don't worry too much about it, Shannon. Geoff has the same kind of problem, and it doesn't hinder him too much. Any problems will generally get picked up by friends during critting and proof reading. I don't think it's something you can learn yourself out of, but I could be wrong. smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Shannon Lee
Stiff

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:14 AM »

Awesome, thank you everyone.

I will be posting a chapter once I finish editing it. I find myself rewriting my novel for... Gee... I don't know how many times now! I'm lost count! hehehe.

I look forward to the suggestions everyone has to improve my craft!

UPDATE

The prolog has been posted in the editing workshop section. Thank you Ed!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:06:09 PM by Shannon Lee » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: