News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Whittaker Contest

Started by delph_ambi, July 15, 2009, 03:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delph_ambi

I just won the prose section of the Whittaker Contest! Yippee!  :dance:

Prize is £100, plus a copy of the anthology.

(Thank you Geoff for being such a discerning judge  :afro: )

Bec

Wow, that's really good, Delph. Well done!

delboy

Superb!!! Congrats and well done and all that!!  :cheers:

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

JonP

What delph hasn't mentioned is that she took over the lead in Round 3 and held onto to it right through to the bitter end - very impressive! And I'll add my thanks to Geoff for a great contest :)

Geoff_N

Honestly, although I had to read, analyse and write reports on nearly 200 stories in 18 weeks it has been a pleasure. The standard for all has been high to outstanding. Usually the winning story in each round had that left field element that opens mouths and delights in its lateral thinking.

With the accolade comes sorrow. I didn't know until this morning that one of the entrants, Brock, is an elderly woman I know in Cumbra. She's not well, yet inspires many others and publishes anthologies including a short story sequel of my Escaping Reality novel, and the famous Barnsley Bear comic tale by Les Floyd. She came bottom of the last round and her rather old-fashioned style in  both poetry and fiction never found her highly placed in any round. She's giving up writing as a result :( I try to tell her write for her own pleasure and folk do buy her anthologies and like them. I edited her last collection and many were entertaining and worth reading even if they wouldn't win a competition.  Somebody has to lose, not that she lost overall coming around half way in both poetry and fiction.

Very big congratulations to Cathy and Jon. All the stories reach me without names. Because I have read prose of theirs before I was afraid I'd recognise their pieces too easily. Would that have made a difference? Dunno. I might have been more critical knowing how good they can be. But when I thought I had guessed their pieces I was often wrong. Several other excellent writers cottoned on to the music / art references Cathy often uses so that confused me – hah.
For me as a judge, the competition was inspiring and a privilege. Thanks Jon and Cathy for enriching me.  (literally and literally).
Geoff

Ed

Well done, Delph - there's some stiff competition in that comp, so it's quite an achievement to win it :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Caz

Great news and a great prize, congrats  :cool:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

delph_ambi