News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Free issues of Black Static #12

Started by Ed, September 07, 2009, 02:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Heard lots of good things about this mag, and right now there's an opportunity to get issue #12 for free, with no catches. Worth a looksee. Ask for your free copy by the end of this week and you'll get in on the premium mailing list, so you'll get it the week after, but if you leave it any longer you'll have to wait until the next mailing, which is a month away.

Further details from Andy:

FREE BLACK STATIC #12

Not for the first time since moving to a new, generous (!) printer we have lots of spare copies. So if you'd like a free copy of issue 12, with no catch other than it'd be nice if you'd consider taking out a subscription if you enjoy it, please just follow the link below. The page has recently been updated with links to a couple of new reviews of the issue -- thanks Nick Cato, Dave Simms, DF Lewis, Gary Braunbeck and everybody else who has been saying nice things about the magazine!

http://ttapress.com/664/free-black-static-12/0/5/

:afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

elay2433

I subscribed to this a few weeks back and my subscription started with #12. Of the three fiction stories I've read so far, only one was enjoyable. The two longer pieces I read were kind of obscure. They seemed to try and make some poignant point, but by the time I got to the end of Nina Allan's My Brothers Keeper, and Sarah Totton's Flatrock Sunners, I had know idea what that point might have been, and I was left scratching my head. Could be I'm dense, I suppose. I'd love to hear what others think.

I've only read one piece of non-fiction (The Death Of The Critic, by Christopher Folwer) and it was quite enjoyable - a comparison of past and current directors of popular movies. Good read.

The magazine is put together nicely, and there's some nice art. I just hope the remaining stories are more to my liking.

Ed

This might sound sexist, but it isn't - it might be because both stories were by female authors. I find it difficult to get into some stories by female authors. Not all, but some, definitely, and not for any reason I can figure out. :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

elay2433

Perhaps. Another thing that I noticed about both stories was that they have male protagonists that are not named or otherwise identified as being male. Later, when they were named, it jarred me out of the story. I think whenever I read fiction, unless it's made clear from the get-go, I assume that the author will write from the POV, or have a protagonist that matches their sex. Maybe that's sexist?  :/

I haven't read nearly as much fiction by women as I have by men. This is a bit off topic, but anyone interested in good, scary ghost stories should read Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories, where he collects some 24 or so tales - half of which are written by women. The scariest, and most memorable in the collection, in my opinion, is Harry, written by Rosemary Timperley.

Speaking of Dahl, Ed, how did your kids take to his books?

Bec

Thanks for the link, Ed. Have applied for my free copy.

elay2433

Anyone else read any of this yet? I've read a couple more stories now, and they've been more enteraining. Curious to see what others think.

Dragoro

I just sent for my free copy yesterday, thanks for the link : )
NEGOTIUM PERAMBULANS IN TENEBRIS.

Ed

Quote from: elay2433 on September 07, 2009, 05:06:57 PM

Speaking of Dahl, Ed, how did your kids take to his books?

Sorry - missed this before. TBH, I haven't got them any Dahl books yet. I had forgotten. Neither of them are in to reading at all, but I'll get the missus to see if she can find something next time she goes into town :smiley:

LeeThompson

Very cool, Ed! They're a magazine I've been meaning to check out, both as a reader and writer. Just filled out their form for my free copy. Thanks, Lee

cherlynn

Thank you so much for this link. Free research material is always good.

Ed

Got my free issue the other day - still haven't had time to do more than leaf through it, but it looks good. Everybody else got theirs? Mine was issue 13, rather than 12, so I guess they ran out from high demand.

Bec

I've received my copy - issue 12 - but haven't had time to read it yet.

Pharosian

My copy of issue 12 arrived just two days before the Cafe Doom contest entries were posted, and I haven't had time to open it yet.

LeeThompson

I really liked issue 12. Most of the endings are ambigious so if a reader doens't like that style, it'll probably be a turn off for them.

Pharosian

Quote from: LeeThompson on November 22, 2009, 05:01:36 PM
I really liked issue 12. Most of the endings are ambigious so if a reader doens't like that style, it'll probably be a turn off for them.

Uh oh...  ::)