gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 28, 2020, 03:02:33 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info  (Read 33703 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 03:31:24 PM »

I've had a bit of an idea today. Providing I can get it to fly and the first test flight doesn't leave it in a pile of matchwood on the floor, I'll hopefully be submitting something, after all.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
JonP
Critter

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 04:39:19 PM »

But then if Delph and JonP enter Ive no chance  Cheesy

Can't speak for delph, but as things currently stand, there ain't much competition coming from my corner, Geoff.

delph_ambi
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 05:16:45 PM »

Mine's a piece of semi-regurgitated dross. As such, it might be slightly horrific, I suppose, and therefore appropriate, but I'm afraid it's hardly a delph classic. I've written it in a specific sub-genre in which I have never had ANY success. Oh well...
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »

I read that as a piece of semi-regurgitated dresshuh Must be London Fashion Week, I thought.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 04:58:47 AM »

I remember Geoff saying when he was judging the Whittaker that he thought he'd sussed who had written what, but when it came down to it he had them all wrong. Styles aren't always as easy to spot as we think they are. As for oft used characters, a name change would soon take care of them.

Go on, Rev - try your hand afro

Alrighty then, I will!

Or will I?!  grin

edit: in other news, I keep forgetting to plug this event on my own blog, so finally remembered to do just that!  I don't know if that'll bring much extra traffic/entries, but you never know  Wink
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:00:06 AM by Rev. Austin » Logged

facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 02:57:24 PM »

Thanks for the plug, Rev afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »

I saw that James plugged it in the Dark Discoveries newsletter about a week or so ago. I figure at least half the subscribers to the small press horror mags are probably aspiring writers (if not more), so that ought to provide some response.

I'm kicking around a few ideas, hoping for brilliance of course. I feel more pressure to come up with a real good one when it has something to do with the cafe (comp, crit group, etc.) than I typically do. Of course, if I'm not struck with a brilliant idea, I'll still submit something.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Kenwood
Grave Digger

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »

Very cool, Ed. I sent you something.

Hello, everyone!  afro

Hmmm...why is that smiley called afro? Haha.

"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »

Hi Kenwood - love the avatar afro Afro is a leftover from another set of smilies. The original had more hair.

Welcome to the forum smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
johnpalisano
Stiff

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 02:02:22 PM »

Hello everybody! Happy Sunday from Los Angeles!
 cheers
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »

Hi John. A not so happy Monday morning from Stockton, CA.  Cheesy

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Rook
Critter

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 12:33:09 AM »

I just finished the first draft of a piece I hope to enter.
Tommorow I start nibbling (hacking?) at it and will see if it will hash out!
Yikes, it's 3, 014 words! Got a bit carried away.......ah well, I like it.

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 02:28:03 AM »

The limit is 3,500, so you're well on track, Rook. Another 486 words to play with if you want them. I have trouble keeping anything under 10,000 words these days - that's getting carried away  afro

Rook
Critter

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »

Hey, you're right!

486 words- I can keep my MC alive for another fifteen minutes......of course I think this might constitute as torture.

(Can you hear the manaical laughter?)

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 02:42:15 PM »

Only seven days left to get your entry into the Cafe Doom short story contest.

We've still only had thirty-one entries to date, so with six prizes on offer (if my math is correct) that gives you roughly a one in five chance of winning summat. Better than that, actually, because my tamed pet reader informs me twenty-five of the thirty-one entries are complete stinkers * - honestly - only one step above a cave painting in the literacy stakes. You're practically guaranteed to win something if you decide to enter.

*re the stinkers - if you've already entered, don't worry, yours was one of the good ones afro fugly
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:43:28 PM by Ed » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx