gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 27, 2020, 02:59:01 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info  (Read 36341 times)

Online delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
Re: Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »
I've had a bit of an idea today. Providing I can get it to fly and the first test flight doesn't leave it in a pile of matchwood on the floor, I'll hopefully be submitting something, after all.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Ooh look, my new website!
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »
But then if Delph and JonP enter Ive no chance  :cheesy:

Can't speak for delph, but as things currently stand, there ain't much competition coming from my corner, Geoff.

delph_ambi

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 04:16:45 PM »
Mine's a piece of semi-regurgitated dross. As such, it might be slightly horrific, I suppose, and therefore appropriate, but I'm afraid it's hardly a delph classic. I've written it in a specific sub-genre in which I have never had ANY success. Oh well...

Online delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »
I read that as a piece of semi-regurgitated dress:huh: Must be London Fashion Week, I thought.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Rev. Austin

• loves you like his own sister.
  • Critter
  • Coroner
  • AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE
    • The full skinny on Rev. Austin.  YES.  SIR.  REE.
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 03:58:47 AM »
I remember Geoff saying when he was judging the Whittaker that he thought he'd sussed who had written what, but when it came down to it he had them all wrong. Styles aren't always as easy to spot as we think they are. As for oft used characters, a name change would soon take care of them.

Go on, Rev - try your hand :afro:

Alrighty then, I will!

Or will I?!  :grin:

edit: in other news, I keep forgetting to plug this event on my own blog, so finally remembered to do just that!  I don't know if that'll bring much extra traffic/entries, but you never know  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:00:06 AM by Rev. Austin »
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
Thanks for the plug, Rev :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline elay2433

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »
I saw that James plugged it in the Dark Discoveries newsletter about a week or so ago. I figure at least half the subscribers to the small press horror mags are probably aspiring writers (if not more), so that ought to provide some response.

I'm kicking around a few ideas, hoping for brilliance of course. I feel more pressure to come up with a real good one when it has something to do with the cafe (comp, crit group, etc.) than I typically do. Of course, if I'm not struck with a brilliant idea, I'll still submit something.
Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens

Offline Kenwood

• Grave Digger
    • The Eyesore Times
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »
Very cool, Ed. I sent you something.

Hello, everyone!  :afro:

Hmmm...why is that smiley called afro? Haha.
"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »
Hi Kenwood - love the avatar :afro: Afro is a leftover from another set of smilies. The original had more hair.

Welcome to the forum :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline johnpalisano

• Stiff
    • www.johnpalisano.com
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 01:02:22 PM »
Hello everybody! Happy Sunday from Los Angeles!
 :cheers:

Offline elay2433

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 11:49:46 AM »
Hi John. A not so happy Monday morning from Stockton, CA.  :cheesy:
Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens

Offline Rook

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 11:33:09 PM »
I just finished the first draft of a piece I hope to enter.
Tommorow I start nibbling (hacking?) at it and will see if it will hash out!
Yikes, it's 3, 014 words! Got a bit carried away.......ah well, I like it.
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 01:28:03 AM »
The limit is 3,500, so you're well on track, Rook. Another 486 words to play with if you want them. I have trouble keeping anything under 10,000 words these days - that's getting carried away  :afro:

Offline Rook

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 08:23:26 AM »
Hey, you're right!

486 words- I can keep my MC alive for another fifteen minutes......of course I think this might constitute as torture.

(Can you hear the manaical laughter?)
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »
Only seven days left to get your entry into the Cafe Doom short story contest.

We've still only had thirty-one entries to date, so with six prizes on offer (if my math is correct) that gives you roughly a one in five chance of winning summat. Better than that, actually, because my tamed pet reader informs me twenty-five of the thirty-one entries are complete stinkers * - honestly - only one step above a cave painting in the literacy stakes. You're practically guaranteed to win something if you decide to enter.

*re the stinkers - if you've already entered, don't worry, yours was one of the good ones :afro: :fugly:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:43:28 PM by Ed »

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx