gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 29, 2020, 07:37:17 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info  (Read 36363 times)

Offline elay2433

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Re: Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
31 entries sounds pretty good. How many did you get last year? I'm working on something, but it'll likely be one of those eleventh hour entries.
Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
That's pretty good - potentially over 100 000 words to read. Does this mean you'll invoke the 14 day rather than the 7 day reading period? Please  :smiley:

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »
31 entries sounds pretty good. How many did you get last year? I'm working on something, but it'll likely be one of those eleventh hour entries.

Thirty-nine last year, if my count is right. Make sure you get that story wrapped up in time :afro:

That's pretty good - potentially over 100 000 words to read. Does this mean you'll invoke the 14 day rather than the 7 day reading period? Please  :smiley:

Derek

I dunno - would you say thirty-one entries counts as 'inundated'? :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Pharosian

• Obelizer
  • Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »

Thirty-nine last year, if my count is right. Make sure you get that story wrapped up in time :afro:

Derek

I dunno - would you say thirty-one entries counts as 'inundated'? :scratch:

Actually, it was 40 entries last year, but one entrant withdrew her story from competition after a couple of days.

And at the same point (October 23) last year, there had been 22 stories submitted. Numbers 23 and 24 arrived on the 24th of the month. If the same holds true this year and we get another 16 entries in the final 7 days, that would make a total of 47. But given that there are proportionately more stories in the hopper already, I'd be more inclined to believe that proportionately more entries would arrive in the last week than that people had actually written their stories earlier. But that's the voice of a world-class procrastinator speaking!   ::)

I say strap in and prepare for a 50+ story contest!

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 03:27:57 AM »
You could be right, and I'd say anything over forty would invoke the fourteen day rule. We've had a couple more entries since I posted above, so we're up to thirty-three at the moment.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
Thirty-four entries, and just three days left to go. Several of the stories are pretty short, though. I guess they're hoping to capitalise on reader fatigue by entering a 800 word story when there's a 3,500 word limit :afro:

LeeThompson

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 07:17:17 PM »
Sweet. I can't wait to read all the stories. The short stories will be easy to read, but it seems they'd be at a disadvantage to draw the reader in. Oh well, to each their own.  :cool:

delph_ambi

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 04:16:32 AM »
Quality not quantity. There's nothing worse than a writer who tries to stretch a thousand word story to three thousand words just because of a competition word limit.

The Mona Lisa is a very small painting.

Size isn't everything  ::)

Offline Kenwood

• Grave Digger
    • The Eyesore Times
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »
Looking forward to this.
"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:18 AM »
Only one more day to go :shocked:

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
A few more entries have snuck in under the wire. I wonder if there will be an eleventh hour deluge :huh:

Offline elay2433

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »
I'm still trying, but I'm not sure I'll make it. What is the exact cutoff hour? I only ask because of the time difference. I want to make sure I'm on the correct timetable. Thanks, Ed.
Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »
Well, for me it's currently 9:38pm, so that means there's another 26 hours and 22 minutes left until the deadline. I hope you make it, Elay - don't worry if you're an hour or two adrift. I'm not going to be pedantic about the exact hour of cut off :smiley:

Offline Rook

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
Elay, you're not the only one!

I've been cursing at mine for two days now.

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
Twenty-three hours left :afro:

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx