News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info

Started by Ed, September 09, 2009, 03:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobolover

Hello there . Got around to registering . I do hope to send something, which is corected (I'm not english) . I hope you like it, though I have to re-read how to send it .

Ed

Hi Lobo - I very nearly didn't let you in, actually. We get a lot of spammers from the former Soviet republics, and it's only because I recognised your name that I guessed you weren't one. I had another person try to join from your country the day after you, but their user name looked a bit iffy, so I didn't let them in. If it was somebody you know, tell them to try again and if you can tell me their name I'll let them in. Thanks :smiley:

Good luck in the comp.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

LeeThompson

Hey, Ed. Looks like a great contest! I just started a piece to enter. As soon as it's finished I'll let it set a couple days and then put it through a few more drafts! Good luck to everyone! Yee-Haw!

Lee

Ed

Thanks - glad you like the look of it. I think, judging by past comments, most people who enter enjoy the process. It's more fun than conventional comps, because it's so transparent. Most of the time you'll send your entry off and that's the last you hear of it until the results come out - where's the fun in that? :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

ubernox

I think I will give this one a shot:).

I'm new to Cafe Doom, Are there any stories online I can read to get a better feel of the type stories you guys like?

Ed

Hi Ubernox, and welcome aboard.  :smiley:

It's not so much what we like as what's popular with the reading public and with James at Dark Discoveries. A strong opening with a hook to make us need to keep reading, good characterisation, realistic dialogue, a viable plot, good use of language, a good compelling story. Twists are OK, but must be supported, rather than out of the blue. Just the usual stuff. First prize is publication at a pro rate of pay, so the winning story will have to be of a professional standard.

Ed

Slightly worrying - only twelve entries so far, with just three weeks left before the deadline :huh:

delph_ambi

You'll get a load of entries at the eleventh hour, I have no doubt. In the meantime, I suggest you keep this thread bumped up to the top. I couldn't find it yesterday. Ended up googling the competition to find the rules.  :scratch:

delboy

This one's haunting me. With eleven entries I think I ought to take a punt - not because there's less stories to compete against, but because there's less stories to read. I'm really nervous about submitting an entry, only to discover I've commited to read twenty, twenty-five stories, in a (relatively) short period of time.

I guess it all really depends on whether or not I get a killer idea between now and the deadline!

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

I really want to write something new for this, but can't think of anything that wouldn't be too obvious as my work to anyone who's read any of my stuff (wanted to do something using the character from my latest published piece  ;) )....I do have other, older stories to choose from  though...I dare say I'll end up leaving it quite late to enter, in case I do come up with an ace idea at the last minute  :azn:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

QuoteI really want to write something new for this, but can't think of anything that wouldn't be too obvious as my work to anyone who's read any of my stuff

Is having a recognisable style not a good thing?

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

I'll push it again in the forums, etc, even though I've entered and so commit to lots of reading. But then having read over 200 shorts for the Whitaaker Prize it can't be harder can it? But then if Delph and JonP enter Ive no chance  :cheesy:

Rev. Austin

Oh no, I meant, it kind of negates the whole 'anonymous entry' angle if a person were to submit something with a character from already published stories, for instance.  Blimey no, I think having a recognisable style is a great thing  :smiley:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

I remember Geoff saying when he was judging the Whittaker that he thought he'd sussed who had written what, but when it came down to it he had them all wrong. Styles aren't always as easy to spot as we think they are. As for oft used characters, a name change would soon take care of them.

Go on, Rev - try your hand :afro: