gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55928 Posts in 6183 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 April 03, 2020, 07:36:17 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cafe Doom's Fifth Annual Writing Competition Rules and info  (Read 34905 times)
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »

31 entries sounds pretty good. How many did you get last year? I'm working on something, but it'll likely be one of those eleventh hour entries.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 04:34:06 PM »

That's pretty good - potentially over 100 000 words to read. Does this mean you'll invoke the 14 day rather than the 7 day reading period? Please  smiley

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »

31 entries sounds pretty good. How many did you get last year? I'm working on something, but it'll likely be one of those eleventh hour entries.

Thirty-nine last year, if my count is right. Make sure you get that story wrapped up in time afro

That's pretty good - potentially over 100 000 words to read. Does this mean you'll invoke the 14 day rather than the 7 day reading period? Please  smiley

Derek

I dunno - would you say thirty-one entries counts as 'inundated'? scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 11:55:33 PM »

Thirty-nine last year, if my count is right. Make sure you get that story wrapped up in time afro

Derek

I dunno - would you say thirty-one entries counts as 'inundated'? scratch

Actually, it was 40 entries last year, but one entrant withdrew her story from competition after a couple of days.

And at the same point (October 23) last year, there had been 22 stories submitted. Numbers 23 and 24 arrived on the 24th of the month. If the same holds true this year and we get another 16 entries in the final 7 days, that would make a total of 47. But given that there are proportionately more stories in the hopper already, I'd be more inclined to believe that proportionately more entries would arrive in the last week than that people had actually written their stories earlier. But that's the voice of a world-class procrastinator speaking!   rolleyes

I say strap in and prepare for a 50+ story contest!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 04:27:57 AM »

You could be right, and I'd say anything over forty would invoke the fourteen day rule. We've had a couple more entries since I posted above, so we're up to thirty-three at the moment.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »

Thirty-four entries, and just three days left to go. Several of the stories are pretty short, though. I guess they're hoping to capitalise on reader fatigue by entering a 800 word story when there's a 3,500 word limit afro

LeeThompson
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 08:17:17 PM »

Sweet. I can't wait to read all the stories. The short stories will be easy to read, but it seems they'd be at a disadvantage to draw the reader in. Oh well, to each their own.  cool
delph_ambi
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 05:16:32 AM »

Quality not quantity. There's nothing worse than a writer who tries to stretch a thousand word story to three thousand words just because of a competition word limit.

The Mona Lisa is a very small painting.

Size isn't everything  rolleyes
Kenwood
Grave Digger

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »

Looking forward to this.

"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2009, 04:04:18 AM »

Only one more day to go Shocked

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »

A few more entries have snuck in under the wire. I wonder if there will be an eleventh hour deluge huh

elay2433
Critter

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »

I'm still trying, but I'm not sure I'll make it. What is the exact cutoff hour? I only ask because of the time difference. I want to make sure I'm on the correct timetable. Thanks, Ed.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »

Well, for me it's currently 9:38pm, so that means there's another 26 hours and 22 minutes left until the deadline. I hope you make it, Elay - don't worry if you're an hour or two adrift. I'm not going to be pedantic about the exact hour of cut off smiley

Rook
Critter

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »

Elay, you're not the only one!

I've been cursing at mine for two days now.

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »

Twenty-three hours left afro

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx