News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Book choices

Started by Ed, September 18, 2009, 05:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I was reading the thread where we're trying to choose a second book for the club, and it struck me that in the future it might be a better idea for each member of the book club to choose the book they want the club to read. Then everybody gets a turn to choose and nobody gets left out. We could go in the order that people posted on the Ghost Pirates thread, perhaps?

Or do you think it's better to stick with a vote on suggestions made by the group?
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Woody

Ed, it's a very difficult decision.
Voting is likely to lead to a random selection, but requires a defined timescale for the votes to take place. And going in the order of the posts for the Ghost Pirates could possibly lead to an exclusion of others. And if this idea is developed to the degree that the order of book choice is determined by the order of posting for the second book (to be inclusive) and third etc, we may well find that people just post as quickly as they can in order to secure the following book suggestion.  :/

I think, in order to guarantee an agreed, but random choice, voting is possibly the best way. Even with all its problems.

For myself, I would like to be "forced" into reading stuff I would have never have thought of - thus expanding my limited author experience.

If voting is the right way to go then perhaps, in the event of a tie, the choice should be alphabetical, excluding words such as "the" as the book's place in an alphabetical listing.

How books are chosen needs to be sorted ASAP. So what I would suggest, for this time only, is that we go for "DEATH WITHOUT INTERRUPTIONS" and hammer out the choice process in the mean time.  :scratch:

I think this board has a hell of a lot of merits if the views are anything to go by.

Woody

mustn't have my stuff here, ed keeps it.

Ed

Umm, not really - I'm still open to other opinions on how best to select future books. My main concern is that we don't alienate anybody. It's a group thing :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

KatYares

Maybe I'm blind (I am getting older, ya know) but where do you vote?  I don't see a poll.  I did just download Serial by Jack Kilborn & Blake Crouch, suggested in the other thread, and am absolutely gripped by the first line. So that has my vote for my first time at this.

Kat

KatsTales:  Journeys Into the Velvet Darkness - Revealed Evil is now available on Amazon

Dragoro

Where it says book club #2
NEGOTIUM PERAMBULANS IN TENEBRIS.

Ed

Yep, sorry - the voting is set up on the Book choice #2 thread, at the top of the thread :smiley: