News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Star Trek is Rubbish

Started by LesFloyd, February 24, 2005, 04:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesFloyd

To mark the release of 'Star Wars: Episode Three - Revenge of the Sith' on 05/05/05, I would just like to say that Star Trek is far too PC. No matter how many visionary ideas the serieses (what's the plural of series?) had, it's still a vision of a future nanny-state, without the pretty nannies.

Star Wars has lightsabers, Death Stars, Carrie Fisher AND Natalie Portman wearing skimpy clothes, and proper space-battles. Star Trek had whales and Shatner, currently appearing in Breakfast Cereal commercials here in the UK. Even Mark Hamill didn't sink so low...  :huh:

"Even if it were possible to travel at the speed of light, it would not be desirable, as one's hat would keep flying off!" - H.G. Bells

Ed

I agree - Captain Dietry-fibre is a woose >:(  Any guy that wears a rug and a corset earns my undying disrespect.  I particularly loathe series that have a little 'message' in every episode, such as Star Trek the Next Generation - with Captain Slap-head and a plethora of weirdos for crew.   :grin:

They might have fared well against the Borg, but I'd like to see them take on Darth Vader... even if the man in the suit was the former Green Cross Code man, and his local-yokel Zummerzet accent had to be dubbed-over by James Earl Jones's voice :scratch:

I would love to have heard the first edit, "Luke, I is thee's faaaather... c'mon overr un joyne tha darrrk syde, me birrd...." :shocked:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

kimbly

Damn. May already? I gotta catch me kids up on the old series. They've only seen the first of the old ones. My nine-year-old is still trying to wrap her head around the pre-quel concept.  For the 7 year old, it all jumbles together.

And I liked Star Trek--so there! :bleh:

LesFloyd

I worked in a hotel up in Arran (Scottish Island, off the coast of Scotchland) and the lady owner was, apparently, a good friend of David Prowse. I told her that George Lucas had fed him the wrong line, when filming The Empire Strikes Back ("Obi-wan is your father"), because they suspected him of leaking stories to the media. She didn't seem very pleased.

Anyway, David Prowse wasn't Darth Vader... Bob Anderson was Vader in the duels with Mark Hamill (the important bits)and James Earl Jones' voice really made the character.

I really don't like the 'morality lessons' in Star Trek (and most American sit-coms, such as 'The Munsters Today' - horrible). If you cheat on an exam and pass it with flying colours, there's no need for soul-searching, lectures from your friends & family or guilt. It's a result!  :grin:
"Even if it were possible to travel at the speed of light, it would not be desirable, as one's hat would keep flying off!" - H.G. Bells

santhere

I've only seen a tidbit of a Star Trek movie, but it was beyond a derogatory superlative to describe its horror :cry:
However Shatner seems like a great bloke, with plenty of self-irony..
Simon Holm Pedersen
- Has a great appetite for booze and guns, in that exact order.

JoyceCarter

I agree about Shatner.  I've loved his recent series of commercials on TV and radio in the UK for some breakfast cereal, sending up the idea of the stock American abroad, and 50s-type advertising.

As for what he wore in Star Trek, I don't imagine he had a lot of choice if he wanted the role!

littlelaniec

Hey, let's go easy on my Shatner! >:(

I'm a big Trek fan! Saw all five series, every episode, every movie (own them all on DVD) and have tons of Trek books!

And, Shatner looks great in BOSTON LEGAL!!  :cheesy:
He's my guy and I absolutely adore him!!! :afro:

Lanie

Lanie's Gothic Tales
http://laniesgothictales.wtcsites.com
Raven
Blood Goddess

Ed

William Shatner seems like he would be a genuinely nice guy in real life - he doesn't take himself too seriously, and I generally like people like that. :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Me too, and Lanie, when Les FLoyd started this thread in another time zone, his tongue was firmly in his cheek. :)

Geoff

littlelaniec

Thank you, guys!

Oh, and Blunt, Shatner is an ARIES!!  :D

He was also on THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN as the Big Giant Head! It was hysterical!  :grin:

I consider Shatner as God of all that is Star Trek!  :afro:

Lanie

Lanie's Gothic Tales
Raven
Blood Goddess

Ed

Third Rock from the Sun was an hilarious series - dunno why I didn't watch more of it.  Well, I do, actually.  I lose track of what's on where and when now we've got a hundred different channels and half of them are showing repeats at the same time as the new series.  I get confused with it all.  Stopped watching 24 for the same reason - just couldn't find it ::)

Geoff_N

Quote from: blunt on June 28, 2006, 06:42:52 PM
  Stopped watching 24 for the same reason - just couldn't find it ::)

Do you get lost looking for Lost?   :bleh:

Geoff

Ed

Yes - actually, I do :huh:  I've only seen about three of the whole series :scratch:

canadian

I gotta defend the guy. He's Canadian, dammit! Appeared at the Stratford Festival in Ontario in it's formative years. Bill's a good actor who got type-cast and decided to just sit back and enjoy the dough. I say, more power to him (even if he does speak like every word is it's own sentence!).

Anybody who can sell a kidney stone and raise $25,000 for charity deserves a bit of respect.

Did any of you see "Invasion Iowa"? It's the only reality TV show that actually had me peeing my pants.
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

littlelaniec

In Philly, 24 comes on Monday nights on Fox. Reruns of this season are being shown during the summer on Friday night: Fox. Love that Keifer!!!!! :P

LOST is another great show! That comes on Wednesday nights at 9:pm (during the fall), on ABC.

Does anybody here watch the summer reality show HELL'S KITCHEN with Gordon Ramsey? Best reality show I've ever seen, and I do not like those particular shows.

Lanie

Lanie's Gothic Tales
Raven
Blood Goddess