News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Star Trek is Rubbish

Started by LesFloyd, February 24, 2005, 04:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Quote from: canadian on June 28, 2006, 07:28:26 PM

Did any of you see "Invasion Iowa"? It's the only reality TV show that actually had me peeing my pants.

No.  What's it about? :scratch: 

Big Brother is actually quite entertaining this time around, in small doses.  Looks like Pete, a tourette's sufferer, will win it.  He cracks me up - he's such an extrovert.  Also, when Big Brother announces that they're going live and asks them to keep their language down, I suppose the tension gets to him, and he can't help but shout out, "Wankers!"

When he first went into the house, some charity org started complaining that he would be made a laughing stock, but I think him being in there has actually raised public awareness and done some good for other sufferers.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

canadian

Quote from: blunt on July 01, 2006, 08:56:05 AM
Quote from: canadian on June 28, 2006, 07:28:26 PM

Did any of you see "Invasion Iowa"? It's the only reality TV show that actually had me peeing my pants.

No.  What's it about? :scratch: 

"Invasion Iowa" was an audacious hoax. The show producers convinced the entire population of a small town into believing that William Shatner was shooting a science fiction movie in their hamlet, when in fact, everything in front of and behind the cameras was faked.

They chose Riverside Iowa (pop. 930) – the self-proclaimed future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk. A Riverside resident named Steve Miller had once petitioned Gene Rodenberry on behalf of the town for this distinction, and Rodenberry happily agreed. In the subsequent twenty years, the town built a statue of the 'USS Riverside,' held an annual Trek Fest parade, and generally embraced all things Kirk. But their favorite son, William Shatner, had never visited.

Watching the townspeople audition, in all good faith, for a William Shatner sci fi movie was pure, unadulterated hilarity. One woman showed up for her audition bearing home-baked pies, thinking it would make her a shoo-in for a film role! Because I've worked in community theatre for so many years, I recognized a lot of the wannabe-types in this show. It was a scream.
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Ed

:grin:  Sounds hilarious, if a little cruel.  There was one on British TV recently, where they convinced a bunch of numpties they were going to be cosmonauts on a space station.  They went to great lengths to make them believe they were in Russia, when they were actually on a disused airforce base, or something like that.  I'm not sure how far they got with it, but the people were pretty thick.  I think it might have got cancelled after a few weeks.  The people they chose were the wrong side of gullible and closer to imbecillic.  So thick it wasn't funny any more, kind of thing :idiot:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Neuromancer

Wow, what a topic.. i am a geek so excuse me if I take offense to this.  I like star trek and star wars but you are talking 2 totally differnet eras....

As far as Shatner... OMG is there a funnier guy?  Anyone seen Boston Legal?  HILARIOUS...

As for the other shows.. lost had me lost.. not that i couldnt follow the story... just wasnt entertaining enough for me to devote anytime too..

24?  Yah better... but i will wait till its in syndication.. .so I can catch it every night and actually follow the story line (like Xfiles... great show... but after season 2 if you missed an episode you were in the dark, i believe thats called a soap opera in the us...)

Anyway lets compare Star Trek and Star Wars in face value...

Star Trek had black people and mini skirts in the 60's something unheard of for its time...

Star Wars had a possible gay guy that fell in love with his sister

Star Trek had sex slaves in bikins in the 60's,,,,  Starwars had leia in a biking 20 years later... (minimum)  oh yah and her brother wanted her...

Star trek had a main charecter that was memorable... umm where is mark hammil now?  Oh yeah he did play Cock Knocker in Jay and Silent Bob strike back... (hell even Leonard Nimoy had a somewhat career.. i think he was on nova plus he does the voice in civilization 4 the PC game :D )

Lets see where else to continue

Did I mention the orion slave girls?  hubba hubba

Oh yah  miniskirts?

Um bikins and min skirts in case i forgot to mention them

I will be PC and not say what I think, but Star Trek had half naked girls.. and star wars didnt (until almost 20 years later)  how does that even compare????

Yes I am a writer, but my critics call me a typist.--Salem's Lot

Robert M. Blevins

Well, among all the overacting by Shatner and some really bad story lines, there were a few memorable episodes.

'Bread and Circuses'    This was the one where they were taken prisoner on a planet where Roman gladiator fights were broadcast on television. The episode had a great script and a better premise. The premise was that a renegade Starship captain had brought technology (prime directive no-no) to the planet, including phasers. "I emptied three power packs...and they still kept coming..."  Good one, maybe the best.

'Balance of Terror'   This episode was a direct rip-off of the old war movie with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens, 'The Enemy Below.' Great episode, but such a blatant copy that Roddenberry eventually settled with the producers of the movie for an undisclosed sum.

'Spock's Command'  Another wonderful episode. Spock and company are stranded on an asteroid planet in a shuttlecraft. At the end, they manage to make orbit, but Spock blows off all their remaining fuel and ignites it as a distress signal...a totally human reaction, and not logical at all...and the crew does not let him forget it.

'The Trouble With Tribbles'   Trekkies love this one. I thought it was downright dumb...(lol)

FYI: Shatner appeared in at least TWO episodes of the original Twilight Zone series.
'Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.'

Ed

Funny, I watched one of the Star Trek films this afternoon and it made me think of this thread. I say I watched it, but what actually happened was I saw the beginning, where Kirk gets killed saving the Enterprise, then while Kirk went off to the temporal nexus, I went off to the land of nod, and woke up just in time to see Kirk get killed again. Perfect afternoon, really :afro:

bintarab

I thought this was hysterical! But lower the volume if you've got little pitchers with you, or just wait until they're asleep:

http://piquanthumour.blogspot.com/2008/02/do-you-have-tray-darth-vader.html

~bint

Ed

Lobolover

Quote from: LesFloyd on February 24, 2005, 04:55:15 AM
To mark the release of 'Star Wars: Episode Three - Revenge of the Sith' on 05/05/05, I would just like to say that Star Trek is far too PC. No matter how many visionary ideas the serieses (what's the plural of series?) had, it's still a vision of a future nanny-state, without the pretty nannies.

Please compare with stuff like Star Gate, with almost no aliens, all beings on othr planets ar humans dressed in normal clothes speaking modern english etc.

The only show that I sawsink lower in terms of in universe characters is Charmed .